Talent Evaluation...The real problem all these years...

turbobike

Coaches come and go...but is the real problem with our scouts and talent office? Let me list some recent examples...I mean we pick a 3rd round QB in the 1st round...trade away 2 1st round picks for a receiver who's hurt..how about letting a solid backup like L. Cohen go... Discus.

Edited by turbobike

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with the scouts as we have done well with our later picks and UDFA's as well as low level FA's. The problem is that we screw up with middle tier FA's, coaches (as you said), and bad picks with our 1st rounders, ie Spiller when we had Lynch and FJax, or trading away next year's #1 when our team sucks.

Coaches come and go...but is the real problem with our scouts and talent office? Let me list some recent examples...I mean we pick a 3rd round QB in the 1st round...trade away 2 1st round picks for a receiver who's hurt..how about letting a solid backup like L. Cohen go... Discus.

YES

I think the talent scouts are very good right now. If they stay with this organization long enough, I think they will eventually (reasonably near future) assemble a perennial playoff team. Maybe a championship and maybe not, but a high caliber playoff team nonetheless.

I think the real problem is the constant turnover in coaches and general managers. It takes a coach a couple of years to learn enough about the AFC East to be highly effective in my opinion. And just about the time our coach learns how to win in the AFC East, we run them out of town.

Dick Jauron would have been a great coach if only someone else made in game decisions like whether to go for it or punt. Otherwise I felt he was excellent. Chan Gailey learned how to beat the Patriots and we ran him out of town. Marv Levy took us to 4 Superbowls and we ran him out of town shortly thereafter. All stupid decisions in my opinion. All decisions that led to rebooting and rebuilding and more rebooting and more rebuilding. Stupid.

I'm ready to give up on him too. Who cares if he hasn't even played in a real game yet. :thumbsup:

Pretty much...When you can't move or bend you can't get into a real game because you'll get someone hurt.

I mean switch Seantrel and Cyrus, and I'd still be slightly disappointed with my 7th round pick looking that bad.

Pretty much...When you can't move or bend you can't get into a real game because you'll get someone hurt.

I mean switch Seantrel and Cyrus, and I'd still be slightly disappointed with my 7th round pick looking that bad.

Key word is development. We'll see how it goes for CK, but he's having a hard time transitioning from LT at 'Bama to RT in the NFL. Definitely needs to improve foot work and knee bend. Fingers crossed.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Key word is development. We'll see how it goes for CK, but he's having a hard time transitioning from LT at 'Bama to RT in the NFL. Definitely needs to improve foot work and knee bend. Fingers crossed.

Absolutely Agreed. I don't expect Kiko or Cyrus out of a second round pick, for obviously different reasons, I guess is my point.

Getting Kiko in the 2nd round was horrible! :lol:

John McCargo (in trade for a 2nd and 3rd), Ashton Youboty, Trent Edwards, James Hardy, Aaron Maybin, Torrell Troup, Alex Carrington, and Kelvin Sheppard. And those are the guys picked while Tom Modrak (who amazingly served under Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, and Nix) was college scouting director. That's 8 1st-3rd round picks that busted in 6 drafts.

Every team makes mistakes in evaluating talent, but few have dropped to the depths Buffalo has. Just hitting on a 1st or 2nd every now and then isn't enough. Small market teams need to win the draft and the Bills haven't/aren't.

John McCargo (in trade for a 2nd and 3rd), Ashton Youboty, Trent Edwards, James Hardy, Aaron Maybin, Torrell Troup, Alex Carrington, and Kelvin Sheppard. And those are the guys picked while Tom Modrak (who amazingly served under Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, and Nix) was college scouting director. That's 8 1st-3rd round picks that busted in 6 drafts.

Every team makes mistakes in evaluating talent, but few have dropped to the depths Buffalo has. Just hitting on a 1st or 2nd every now and then isn't enough. Small market teams need to win the draft and the Bills haven't/aren't.

I didn't have the energy, but thank you for hitting a few good ones.

Not sure about this year's draft, which was a very strong draft by all accounts. CK looks like he has bust potential, which would be surprising and very disappointing since he was a relatively high second round pick (in a very strong draft). Not concerned about Watkins, but it is much harder to miss on a pick if you trade up that high. Henderson may be a pleasant surprise, but it was a low risk move and everyone knew he had talent and off the field issues, so it is hard to give the scouts credit for this one since it really was a front office decision as to whether he could stay out of trouble.

Have heard very little about Brown and Cockrell. Who knows about Richardson.

Landon Cohen is definitely the problem. Cutting the #5 DT is what has kept this time out of the playoffs for so long.

Not the middling QB play. The 52nd guy on a 53 man roster. That's been the difference.

Has nothing to do with Whaley in 2014.

It's easy to point to the few nuggets like Alonso, but it's obvious that the drafting has had many huge blunders throughout the years. Too many high pick busts, and Graham over Russell Wilson was brutal (as was the continuing confidence shown in Fitz that delayed a replacement plan for too long). You have to wonder how it's possible for professional football executives to be this bad when judging talent.

Don't go back too far if you want to be taken seriously. I get the frustration. Whaley has done a pretty good job and, while we have some holes, we also have a lot more talent than we did a few years ago. I trust the current guys much more than the old regimes. I get that old regimes helped make the mess, but don't blame the current guys - yet. I think time will prove they know their stuff. (If only we had enough luck to get Luck.)

Edited by Augie