Second String

Second String  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen the cinematic classic "Second String?"

2. 2. How would you rate it?

Courtesy of Big Lots, I own it on DVD, but have yet to be so down in the doldrums about the Bills that I have made time to take the plastic off and watch it.

Which reminds me, I need to go put some Orville Redenbacher’s in the micro and give this baby a whirl. I mean, Jon Voight is the Bills HC… that fact alone sounds like cinematic gold.

If I hadn't seen it I might have given it 2 stars instead of 1.

I cannot believe that the NFL somehow agreed to even let this movie make it to production. It could possibly be the worst movie ever portraying a team from an actual sport. Major League II was bad but not even close to this.

Courtesy of Big Lots, I own it on DVD, but have yet to be so down in the doldrums about the Bills that I have made time to take the plastic off and watch it.

Which reminds me, I need to go put some Orville Redenbacher’s in the micro and give this baby a whirl. I mean, Jon Voight is the Bills HC… that fact alone sounds like cinematic gold.

I bought it at Big Lots too.

Also has a cameo by (then QB) Doug Flutie and Van Miller. I did notice though that they used some real game film, with Andre in the background, yet they also had a fictional player who was #83.

I've never seen this or even knew it existed. Could someone provide a synopsis?

Doug Flutie and the team make the playoffs, so he takes the whole offense out to a celebration dinner. They all get food poisoning so the Second String, mostly practice squad tackling dummies have to come in. The coach, a mean guy named Chuck Dicktor (totally not Chuck Dickerson) had some past issues with the now starting QB, who's getting old but wins based on trick plays that make the statue of liberty play look professional. Long story short, they line up to win the Super Bowl by kicking a FG in reference to Wide Right, and then it's a fake, and they win by throwing the ball backwards a bunch of time to win (in reference to the Music City Tragedy). So basically, even when I want to pretend my team is winning the Super Bowl, I can't enjoy it.

This movie keeps me pumped. I watch it every year before the season starts... I mean come on man....it's about the Bills

I do the same thing with the '93 comeback to get me pumped. As bad as it was, I'm surprised most of the fanbase hasn't seen it anyway, just because it is about the Bills.