My 2014 Hope Bubble is Popped

1B4IDie

EJ plays like an UDFA

Sammy has banged up ribs that will linger all season until he is IRed.

CJ runs backwards and gets stuffed.

The defense looks great but is on the field too often to sustain that greatness.

Instead of the usual late October or November pop, my hope bubble has officially popped in August.

Anyone have a hope bubble left?

If so why?

Maybe I can inflate a new one.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ plays like an UDFA

The defense looks great but is on the field too often to sustain that greatness.

Instead of the usual late October or November pop, my hope bubble has officially popped in August.

If so why?

I was thinking the same thing last night. The preseason rarely has this effect on me even though we suck every preseason. I have lost all confidence in Moron. Hackett should be the 2nd OC fired prior to week one a la Turk. Boy is he bad. Pat Morris is garbage. I really miss D'allessandris. Schwartz is a good DC. Too bad he'll be our HC in a year.....and I believe he's a terrible HC. Ej is a bum. Don't think he'll ever not be a bum. Doesn't matter how long he has to progress. Sammy is hurt. He'll be hurt all year. Because Moron is a Moron. I'm going to bet the bills win total under. I like Whaley. Not sure why, but I do. Wonder if it was Moron or Whaley that thought Baddeus and Tuel would be adequate backups.....and EJ an adequate starter. Trade for kellen Moore. All 5'9 180 of him has more nfl starting QB in him than our 3 QBs combined.

I have serious concerns with EJ and Hackett

I'm starting ot question this teams practice habits bc i get the impression they do not practice at anything close to game speed bc watching them makes me think everything is happening too fast for them

I have not watched last night's game and probably will not bother to watch the NFLN replay either. Nothing to see there. I frankly do not see that anything has changed. I would be more encouraged if the offense had been able to show consistency in the preseason, but from what I have seen:

- Our starting Defense is potentially dominating. The play against the run has been great. Very, very promising.

- EJ show flashes of what he can be but is not consistent. I am perhaps in the minority here, but this is what I expect of a QB at his stage of development. I am certainly not going to panic over a 3/7 performance in the 5th preseason game, and I am willing to be patient to see if he develops. It really sucks so much time was lost last year, but thats the way it is.

- They have weapons on Offense, if Manuel can find his game. I do expect it to be up and down for a while, hopefully not the whole year.

- I do not share the prevailing opinion that Marrone sucks. Sorry, just don't.

Causes for concern:

- Just how bad is Watkins' rib injury? I fear the worst - that his rookie season is essentially lost with a lingering injury, but hope not. They need him. Williams is an upgrade over Johnson but not a game breaker. They need Sammy.

- If Manuel goes down, we are clearly done.

- I thought the OL would be a strength this year, but so far anything but. Just lack of continuity, or are we really that bad? Right now, they suck.

I have not watched last night's game and probably will not bother to watch the NFLN replay either. Nothing to see there. I frankly do not see that anything has changed. I would be more encouraged if the offense had been able to show consistency in the preseason, but from what I have seen:

- Our starting Defense is potentially dominating. The play against the run has been great. Very, very promising.

- EJ show flashes of what he can be but is not consistent. I am perhaps in the minority here, but this is what I expect of a QB at his stage of development. I am certainly not going to panic over a 3/7 performance in the 5th preseason game, and I am willing to be patient to see if he develops. It really sucks so much time was lost last year, but thats the way it is.

- They have weapons on Offense, if Manuel can find his game. I do expect it to be up and down for a while, hopefully not the whole year.

- I do not share the prevailing opinion that Marrone sucks. Sorry, just don't.

Causes for concern:

- Just how bad is Watkins' rib injury? I fear the worst - that his rookie season is essentially lost with a lingering injury, but hope not. They need him. Williams is an upgrade over Johnson but not a game breaker. They need Sammy.

- If Manuel goes down, we are clearly done.

- I thought the OL would be a strength this year, but so far anything but. Just lack of continuity, or are we really that bad? Right now, they suck.

I have been a Marrone supporter but am starting to get sucked in to the despair. I still wonder if he is feeling like he could be gone before the season is done and it is making him coach scared.

I keep hearing how great our defense is. Were we not done 17-0 at half time? I only watched the Tampa game and I saw an average quaterback move the ball on our defense on every single drive. I think our defense is great in the mind of fans based on the players we have and big name coordinator.

My hope bubble is popped early this year too. I'm still going to go to the bills backers bar and watch the games, but I'm not expecting much.

Normally I'd be excited and think the bills might have a chance this year. Right now, I don't think they have a chance in hell, and they're going to waste an incredible defense with that shitshow of an offense they put together.

My hope bubble still survives for a few reasons.

-Our D looks to be pretty damn good.

-Our run game should be good enough to take a lot of weight off of EJ's shoulders.

-EJ has generally been a slow starter, getting better as the game goes on. Preseason is not good for him because he gets pulled before he has a chance to settle in.

Hopefully EJ starts getting comfortable earlier in games but I think until he does, the D and our solid run game will be able to hold up and keep us in striking distance in most games and we can pull out some wins.

I keep hearing how great our defense is. Were we not done 17-0 at half time? I only watched the Tampa game and I saw an average quaterback move the ball on our defense on every single drive. I think our defense is great in the mind of fans based on the players we have and big name coordinator.
You likely didn't Watch the first half of the Tampa game. The Tampa offense was stuffed multiple times and put in 3rd and long multiple times.

They were bailed out on 3rd and long by Ticky tack penalties.

EJ plays like an UDFA

If so why?

I generally like to wait until the Bills lose a few regular season games before I begin to lose hope.

Week 4 pre season games are nearly useless. They match up really well against Chicago.

I'm trying....

Here's why yesterday's game mattered to me - the last three quarters featured guys on both sides of the ball fighting for their careers, fighting to capture the 53rd spot on their team's roster and realize a dream.

That's a strong motivation and the Bills reserves looked absolutely flat. Especially the offensive line. Doesn't that speak to some kind of team-wide culture problem?

I was impressed by three Bills: Brandon Spikes, Anthony Dixon, and Landon Cohen . Three veterans who have been part of winning cultures.

EJ plays like an UDFA

If so why?

How about.....

Less than 2 weeks ago we only had one of our OL practicing at their current projected starting position(Wood). The OL is rusty, needs more reps and continuity....and as a result has been playing pretty horridly. Horrid OL play leads to poor running game.....and both of those lead to a young irratic QB playing worse than he might otherwise play.

Inflate that bubble sir. Week by week that OL is going to improve and become the best in the league.....and as a byproduct, the #1 rushing offense will occur.....which will allow our young irratic QB to appear like a reasonable player.

This will happen by week 6. No doubts.....bank it now!

(These thoughts in no way represent the actual views of Dibs, are pure hopeful speculation, and are for encouragement purposes only. Any reproduction of said views both verbally or textually is strictly prohibited.)

Edited by Dibs