PFF Names Spikes and Bradham on their "Team of the Preseason"

Big C

Brandon Spikes and Nigel Bradham were their top 2 starting linebackers during preseason. Plus, Keith Rivers is cited as an Honorable Mention.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/26/team-of-the-preseason-the-starters/2/

We've all noticed the solid play from these guys and it's just another indicator that we've turned around a perennially weak unit on our team. Real shame we don't get Nigel for week 1.

He seems to have improved in the pass, though. He made a drive-stopping play last week as I recall.

Yeah you're right that's why I deleted my post. He looked lost and got burned on one pass play i remember but on balance he's been adequate. I was real happy we picked him up in FA, that's for sure.

Looks like he is ok in zone, but struggles to run with a guy...

If you watch that play he took a bad angle to the left, then slipped, then recovered, then chucked Martin, missed the chuck, and then recovered, and still was very close to him, which took a perfect pass and bobbled catch. He made three glaring errors on the play and was still in position to make the play. In no way did he struggle to run with the guy on the play he got beat on.

I thought preseason doesn't matter an that no one can make any conclusions. If I have been following the threads correctly our linebackers have only played against plain vanilla offenses that aren't even trying to score TDs (just like the Bills offense hasn't been trying).

That's true. It really doesn't mean anything. I very much doubt that Nigel Bradham will finish amongst the very best LBs in the game.

He did, however, fare very well in these same stats from this site during the regular season last year, and they chose him as the secret superstar for this season or whatever they call it. Bradham was the 8th best in the NFL as an ILB last year according to their run stats. So that does mean something. And Spikes was the very best in the league last year in these stats. So that does mean something. ;)

That's true. It really doesn't mean anything. I very much doubt that Nigel Bradham will finish amongst the very best LBs in the game.

He did, however, fare very well in these same stats from this site during the regular season last year, and they chose him as the secret superstar for this season or whatever they call it. Bradham was the 8th best in the NFL as an ILB last year according to their run stats. So that does mean something. And Spikes was the very best in the league last year in these stats. So that does mean something. ;)

Also helps that he's in a contract year.

I will admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong about Chris Hogan (I think)...but, I remain sold on Bradham having a "breakout" year.

And after seeing him in this defense...there is absolutely zero doubt that he fills in for Kiko Alonso just fine.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

He's not quite there yet, but I think he takes a big step forward this year...and down the road could become that type of guy.

So, going against the popular opinion here...I'll say Nigel Bradham.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

Just the same, someone will step up for the injured ALONSO...most likely being Bradham, who was rated higher and had better measurables than Kiko, coming out of the combine and into their respective drafts. Nigel Bradham was one of the highest rated linebackers coming out of high school and he ended up starting games at Florida State as a true freshman, I believe. I know he at least played in 13 games as a true freshman. He can run like a gazelle and hit like a mack truck, and he is not as big a liability in coverage as many think. He is a perfect 4-3 OLB and nearing a contract year. (He was rated very highly by PFF last year.)

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Why are people wanting Preston Brown to be an OLB? He is 6-1, 261 lbs, and has been a MLB his entire life...he is not an OLB.

Nigel Bradham, Ty Powell or Manny Lawson will man the vacant spot opposite Keith Rivers.

Read these and please explain why you think Preston Brown should be the OLB, and not Nigel Bradham?

Preston Brown combine report - http://www.nfl.com/c...rown?id=2543814

Nigel Bradham combine report - http://www.nfl.com/c...dham?id=2532800

Conclusion?

Nigel Bradham is much more suited to be an OLB who can cover space, and Preston Brown is much more suited to be a MLB who plays in the box.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

I do expect the light to go on, if it hasn't already. He is the prototypical OLB and has a chance to earn himself a starting role, not only this year, but the other OLB spot is still up for grabs for the future, as Keith Rivers is not a long-term solution.

He honestly reminds me of one of my all-time favorite college players, Vontaze Burfict...but a tad bit bigger, and much faster.

(Man, I would LOVE to have a LB corps of Bradham - Spikes/Burfict - Alonso...that would be incredible.)

Anyways...I think he steps out this year in a big way, I honestly do...and I think we start to see it in training camp.

But, the coaching staff NEEDS to give him a fair shot...Preston Brown should NOT be an OLB ahead of Nigel Bradham, in ANY scenario. If they give him a chance and a decent amount of starter's reps in camp, I have no doubt that this kid will take the opportunity and run with it. He also reminds me of a former Schwartz OLB, in Deandre Levy...a little bigger, very athletic, good speed, decent in coverage, takes on blockers, etc.

It all comes down to how he performs in camp and how the coaching staff uses him...but no doubt, it's his time to shine or bust.

Edited by Bob Malooga

I'm not worried about the defense giving up too many points. The ST and offense giving up points are much more worrisome. I get flashbacks of the KC game. Tuel was QB so I'll take that into perspective but the offense can be to blame I think for 20 points.

With that said if McKelvin is healthy and Gilmore puts it all together hopefully our D can put the O in scoring position 1-2 times a games.

And Keith Rivers is an honorable mention... probably meaning if Bradham and Spikes weren't on there, hes the next man they'd have on their all defense team AND we have the top 3 rated LB's in the league this pre-season. Amazing. Simply amazing... hope our Secondary gets it together.

What do we do with Alonso and Bradham next season for the weak side?

That's great. I've been very impressed with Spikes.

The sky is the limit when Kiko returns next season. It'll be like adding a top 10 pick to the defense.

Assuming his leg checks out and he bounces back to old form

This can't be bad at all. Move Lawson and MWilliams to SLB and we will be OK. I'd love to find a good WLB for 3rd down. What's Bryan Scott up to?

He pretty much changed his number to 25 and changed his name to Da'norris Searcy.