Ranking NFL head coaches

papazoid

There is no way to accurately rank the 32 NFL head coaches, but polling 30 league insiders is a pretty good place to start.

28. Doug Marrone, Buffalo Bills (3.53 average)

Marrone had an injured rookie quarterback for his lone season as a head coach. There is very little track record to evaluate. Many voters placed Marrone and other unproven coaches in the 4s by default, not because they necessarily saw specific flaws. One former GM gave Marrone a 3 and placed him ahead of the Jets' Ryan in his pecking order. A pending ownership change is clouding the future in Buffalo for Marrone and everyone else, however.

"I think Marrone has the skills, the tools, the communicative ways to get to players," this ex-GM said. "He is an up-and-coming coach. I like Doug. Of course, you can be good and be out of a job depending on where you are working. It's just not fair. We have all been there."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11408205/ranking-32-nfl-head-coaches-tiers

Here is every coach's rank, average score and number of votes in each of the five tiers.

Rank

Coach

Avg

1 Bill Belichick 28 2 0 0 0 1.07

2 Pete Carroll 23 7 0 0 0 1.23

3 Sean Payton 22 7 1 0 0 1.30

4 Andy Reid 12 16 2 0 0 1.67

5 Tom Coughlin 10 18 2 0 0 1.73

6 Mike McCarthy 11 15 4 0 0 1.77

6 Mike Tomlin 9 19 2 0 0 1.77

8 Jim Harbaugh 9 18 3 0 0 1.80

9 John Harbaugh 7 20 3 0 0 1.87

10 John Fox 4 23 3 0 0 1.97

11 Jeff Fisher 6 15 9 0 0 2.10

12 Chip Kelly 5 14 11 0 0 2.20

13 Bruce Arians 4 13 12 1 0 2.33

14 Lovie Smith 1 16 12 1 0 2.43

15 Marvin Lewis 1 14 15 0 0 2.47

16 Chuck Pagano 1 11 17 1 0 2.60

17 Rex Ryan 0 12 15 2 1 2.73

18 Mike Smith 0 8 21 1 0 2.77

19 Gus Bradley 0 7 22 1 0 2.80

20 Ken Whisenhunt 0 8 19 3 0 2.83

20 Mike McCoy 0 6 23 1 0 2.83

22 Marc Trestman 0 7 18 5 0 2.93

23 Ron Rivera 0 4 23 3 0 2.97

24 Mike Zimmer 0 3 16 11 0 3.27

25 Jay Gruden 0 5 9 15 1 3.40

26 Bill O'Brien 0 0 16 14 0 3.47

27 Jim Caldwell 0 3 12 12 3 3.50

28 Doug Marrone 0 2 11 16 1 3.53

29 Joe Philbin 0 1 9 20 0 3.63

30 Jason Garrett 0 0 10 20 0 3.67

31 Mike Pettine 0 2 6 21 1 3.70

32 Dennis Allen 0 1 3 19 7 4.07

Guys I think are too high:

Andy Reid - never really got it to tell the truth. Not good in the post-season. Top 10/12 yes, top 5 no.

Marvin Lewis - the Bengals succeed or fail on the strength of their roster. He has never overachieved. Give him a good team he makes the play-offs, give him a bad team he stinks.

Chuck Pagano - nice guy, great story, but I'm yet to see him do anything other than let Andrew Luck make plays for him. The defence isn't great (he is a former DC) and the team lives and dies by his QB's arm.

Mike McCarthy - the Packers seem to have had the same problems for years. Needs to win another Superbowl whilst he has someone as talented as Rodgers as his QB.

Guys I'd have higher:

John Harbaugh - better coach than his brother for me, has won a Championship and beat the Broncos, the Patriots and the 9ers en route. Good job.

Marc Trestman - took an aneamic Bears offense and made them explosive in year 1 with his back up QB starting half the games.

Rex Ryan - I can't stand him but getting that rabble to 8-8 last year was a hell of a job. I though their D-line apart it was a bottom 4 of the NFL roster in every other position group. And I'm dropping the two guys immediately above him so he moves up by default :-)

Gus Bradley - Not based on results yet admittedly. I just think he has "it". Bit of a gut feeling one this.

I think rating coaches will end up being biased by their winning percentage, and there are a lot of good coaches that have lost their jobs otherwise. What makes a good coach is such an opinion based system, it would be impossible to really rank anyone with a losing record. Look at Jeff Fisher, where would the discussion begin on a coach like him? Or how about Steve Mariucci? There's no doubt he was a good coach, but some teams just find a way to lose, and it was Detroit that killed the Mooch...

Lovie Smith #14.

The guy that the bIlls did not even interview, yet said he would want the job.

He will turn the bucs around quicker than the Bills, forward thinking pin stripe bowl winner.

I was really hoping we would have grabbed Lovie. The guy is a winner. Doug Marrone has never won anything in his life. We will see what he does with the Bucs. My guess is they are in the playoffs before the Bills :oops:

Lots of Lovie love on the board.

Kind of reminds me of the time that board members clamored for or lamented fact that we didn't get Jeff Fisher. For reference , Jeff Fisher has amassed a very awesome 0.453 percentage at St Louis in past two seasons .

Its not all about the coach.

I was another who wanted Lovie because I wanted someone to finally use the talent that I knew we had on the defensive side of the ball properly. Pettine made some head way last year and I am encouraged by what I see from Schwartz in pre-season, the issue now is getting the offense to catch up and time is running out for Marrone and Hackett to figure it out.

I was really hoping we would have grabbed Lovie. The guy is a winner. Doug Marrone has never won anything in his life. We will see what he does with the Bucs. My guess is they are in the playoffs before the Bills :oops:

While I can understand the FO for not wanting another Chicago connection, Jauron cough,cough! and Lovie would have wanted to bring most of his old expensive coaching staff with him to Buffalo.

The Bills FO wanted to give Marrone a chance, as he was getting a lot of talk in the media.

Anyway, yea I agree. Just think what Lovie would have done with the talent on that Bills D

While I can understand the FO for not wanting another Chicago connection, Jauron cough,cough! and Lovie would have wanted to bring most of his old expensive coaching staff with him to Buffalo.

The Bills FO wanted to give Marrone a chance, as he was getting a lot of talk in the media.

Anyway, yea I agree. Just think what Lovie would have done with the talent on that Bills D

I like Lovie a lot but come on now. We had a too 10 defense and got Pettine a head coaching job.

And Belichick at the top of this list is a joke. Most overrated coach ever. Brady made him.

Carroll has won at multiple places with multiple Qbs. Same with Harbaugh. Screw the homeless hoodie.

Edited by C.Biscuit97