Bills 2nd worst team to play for---player poll

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why is Green Bay the 4th least desired place?

Because there are about 12 black people in the entire state. Seriously, a friend of mine who's black and weighs ~300 pounds went there and people asked him if he played for the Packers.

No state tax, nicer weather. Why is that hard to believe?

This. Jax would be in my top 10 if I was a player.

Edited by KD in CT

The weather is bad in Buffalo? I miss it. I think the weather sucks in Jacksonville, as I find 90+ degree weather (with a heat index over 100) to be intolerable. Give me a bilzzard any day!

Anybody with me?

[crickets.....]

The weather is bad in Buffalo? I miss it. I think the weather sucks in Jacksonville, as I find 90+ degree weather (with a heat index over 100) to be intolerable. Give me a bilzzard any day!

Anybody with me?

[crickets.....]

My wife and daughter. They are avid skiers so Florida is at the bottom of their most desirable places to live. But I would take the occasional blizzard or ice storm over a hurricane any time.

My wife and daughter. They are avid skiers so Florida is at the bottom of their most desirable places to live. But I would take the occasional blizzard or ice storm over a hurricane any time.

St Augustine Beach has been lucky with regard to hurricanes (and now I'm regretting I put that in writing). The coast does something special here, and we miss most of the terrible storms. But I agree, I prefer a blizzard as I prefer snow to rain---AND---a blizzard is the ideal excuse to skip school, work (many jobs, anyway) and have a blizzard party! When I live in WNY my neighbors would get angry with me as I was singing and whistling, as I cleaned off my car in the morning. "WTF are you so happy about?" they'd ask.

BTW, this is the same study that was cited here earlier. It didn't ask "What is the worst place to play in the NFL?" It seemingly asked "The only way I'd play for [name a team] is if they doubled my salary." Those are two very different questions, though I would agree the results from either aren't likely to be positive. They surveyed "100 pius players" and got 82 players. Was the sample representative of all NFL players? Were veterans more heavily weighted? Did rookes return at a higher rate? Let's see the the entire questionnaire. The ordering of the questions plays an important part in the answer to following questions. I could go on, but I will stop.

Bottom line is, without these kinds of details, survey results are basically useless.

An anomaly. Green Bay is colder and far more remote than B'lo. Besides, the percentage is fairly meager. Just win.

It is no anomaly. As you noted, from a interesting place to live as well as niceness of weather perspective, GB is one of the few (maybe only) NFL cities that would rank lower than Buffalo. The reason GB ranks better than Buffalo in this particular survey is their history of winning, as well as current quality of the team.

No anomaly here, perfectly explainable.

Edited by CodeMonkey

This is a businesses. Players will play for who pays them. They might not want to. Might not like the town. Taxes. Etc. But they like money.

Because there are about 12 black people in the entire state. Seriously, a friend of mine who's black and weighs ~300 pounds went there and people asked him if he played for the Packers.

well. Did he? Play for the packers?

This is a businesses. Players will play for who pays them. They might not want to. Might not like the town. Taxes. Etc. But they like money.

This is a businesses. Players will play for who pays them. They might not want to. Might not like the town. Taxes. Etc. But they like money. well. Did he? Play for the packers?

Charles Woodson I remember him saying he didnt want to be in Green Bay, You stick out in a small city plus the weather. But he said the only team that would pay him was GB. He said best thing to ever happen to him.

I agree about the sticking out part.

Seems that way. So there will always be a group of young men who don't want to be in WNY no matter what, but it's pretty obvious that organizational quality is a factor for other teams on the list.

Since more and more players are from the SEC / south in general, that makes sense.

A big city atmosphere can help offset some of the weather disadvantage (i.e., NYC, Boston, Toronto), but Buffalo's always going to be lumped in with the Rust Belt markets even if the record improves.

Not much to see here, IMO...

I told him he should have worn a Packers jacket and given out autographs.

Younger guys want a hip town with some culture that makes them comfortable. Buffalo and Green Bay are not high on that list.

82 players responded. There are 1,696 active players in the NFL. Uh.......that's just a totally useless poll.

For most purposes, 1/√N where N is the sample size is a reasonable estimation for margin of error. So for 82 people responding that makes about 11% which isn't too horrible generally.

So what that means is since the Bills came in at 19% in the survey there is a 95% probability that between 8 and 30% of the players in the NFL feel this way.

This assumes, of course, that the distribution of the players surveyed is reasonable.

The reality of the situation is though, that this probably only applies to players that have a choice (good players). Players being cut today for example would gladly go to the Raiders, Bills, or anyone else.

Edited by CodeMonkey