Goodwin's tweet about fans booing

Kevin

If it's justifiable then sure he can call us as fans out. If I shove you, I deserve a shove back or at worst a fist to the face if I start cursing at you on top of it. But if I shove you and you pull out a gun and shoot me, we're not exercising the same type of behavior. Yours would be considered extreme and very punishable. Goodwin took it to the extreme. Of course this is as they say, my opinion.

Good point. Saying people aren't "real fans" is always a sticky and contentious issue to begin with. Sometimes myself I feel that attitude is unjustified and other times, perhaps hypocritically I think it's totally justified. Like the "I'm so done with this team" nonsense.

To me, this whole thing is a glorified "You suck! No, you suck! No, you suck!" argument.

I also think, ultimately, that he is a young guy, pissed off at his team's performance, pissed off that he is in pain and hurt again, and pissed off at the first home game, in friggin preseason, the fans were booing, and he lashed out.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was Goodwin or anyone else on the 1st string offense (and of course this is only the way "I" would have handled it), if I had twitter and decided to let my emotions out to the fans about their boo'ing, I would have tweeted something like, "Damn, it sucked that our own fans boo'ed us in a preseason game. I can't really blame them, but if only they knew that we didn't even use an 8th of the real playbook".

I think that would have made fans understand a bit better that one, he's upset and two, that it's just preseason playcalling. At the end of the day, he's a "professional" and he's at "work" and if I know a little bit about business, the customer (us) is supposed to always be right.

At the end of the day, he's a "professional" and he's at "work" and if I know a little bit about business, the customer (us) is supposed to always be right.

Well, just reading this or any other message board you know for a fact that statement is just not true in any form. ;)

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Good point. Saying people aren't "real fans" is always a sticky and contentious issue to begin with. Sometimes myself I feel that attitude is unjustified and other times, perhaps hypocritically I think it's totally justified. Like the "I'm so done with this team" nonsense.

To me, this whole thing is a glorified "You suck! No, you suck! No, you suck!" argument.

I also think, ultimately, that he is a young guy, pissed off at his team's performance, pissed off that he is in pain and hurt again, and pissed off at the first home game, in friggin preseason, the fans were booing, and he lashed out.

That very well COULD be what went through Goodwin's thought process but we'll never really know. I just think as a professional he could of handled it a different way.

Well, just reading this or any other message board you know for a fact that statement is just not true in any form. ;)

Lol definitely not. I used to own a pizzeria and believe me, I didn't hesitate on yelling back at certain customers if they were absurdly rude. So I know the customer isn't always right but like I said, having a one on one conversation with a particular fan that's calling "him" out personally, I'm fine with. But to call out ALL the fans on twitter at that, not cool.

If it's justifiable then sure he can call us as fans out. If I shove you, I deserve a shove back or at worst a fist to the face if I start cursing at you on top of it. But if I shove you and you pull out a gun and shoot me, we're not exercising the same type of behavior. Yours would be considered extreme and very punishable. Goodwin took it to the extreme. Of course this is as they say, my opinion.

Wait.... The home crowd booing the team before their first game is a shove and him calling that out in 140 characters is murder?

Really?

Wait.... The home crowd booing the team before their first game is a shove and him calling that out in 140 characters is murder?

Really?

He didn't JUST call the boo'ing out dude. He put our loyalty to question. You're probably one of those fans who sits down when our defense is on the field and it's 3rd down.

The crowd wanted to see a good product on the field after countless days of waiting and countless hours of coming on TBD or Buffalobills.com or any other website to see how their Bills are doing, only to see THAT performance in the 1st half. They have EVERY right to boo.

Now, as far as Goodwin goes, like I said earlier (some people I guess I have to explain every little detail before they might understand), he could of tweeted about the Boos in MANY different ways WITHOUT questioning fans' loyalty to the Bills. Right? Wrong? As a professional, do you think taking shots at the fans is a good idea? Bit extreme? No? If no, then there's no need to explain this to you.

That's why the fans responded back to him on twitter and I'm glad they did. You learn at a very young age that sometimes it isn't good to say EVERYTHING that's on your mind. Goodwin is just a little kid who got growing up to do is all and this I feel, is a lesson he will learn. Fans aren't going to sit there and watch a performance like that and cheer buddy. Wait, maybe YOU would though.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

He didn't JUST call the boo'ing out dude. He put our loyalty to question. You're probably one of those fans who sits down when our defense is on the field and it's 3rd down.

The crowd wanted to see a good product on the field after countless days of waiting and countless hours of coming on TBD or Buffalobills.com or any other website to see how their Bills are doing, only to see THAT performance in the 1st half. They have EVERY right to boo.

Now, as far as Goodwin goes, like I said earlier (some people I guess I have to explain every little detail before they might understand), he could of tweeted about the Boos in MANY different ways WITHOUT questioning fans' loyalty to the Bills. Right? Wrong? As a professional, do you think taking shots at the fans is a good idea? Bit extreme? No? If no, then there's no need to explain this to you.

That's why the fans responded back to him on twitter and I'm glad they did. You learn at a very young age that sometimes it isn't good to say EVERYTHING that's on your mind. Goodwin is just a little kid who got growing up to do is all and this I feel, is a lesson he will learn. Fans aren't going to sit there and watch a performance like that and cheer buddy. Wait, maybe YOU would though.

I see that you hate people that question others fandom. I hope the irony in this post isn't totally lost on you.

It was a preseason game. If it mattered do we see guys like KW or Sammy? Would that have been our true starting o line? Is the playcalling the same? I'm not saying the performance is without any concern. They were ugly. They've shown little to believe in so far in preseason. But it's still booing a practice session. A ticketed scrimmage for a team that's still undefeated for 2014. At preseason games I expect some ups, some downs and a whole lot of indifference from the crowd as far as cheers after player intros. I don't expect fans to be loud on 3rd down in August, and I don't expect them to boo the team.

Boos seem silly. His reply seems silly. Big deal?

I wasn't there, but I imagine from how it sounded, that only perhaps 10% of the crowd was actually booing. 10% of 60-70,000 is LOUD. And he only questioned the loyalty of people that were booing, so, say 10% of the fans. Ive been to hundreds of games. When the booing is deafening less than half the fans look to be booing (the rest are just as pissed, but not booing).

The booing is, to me, harmless and ultimately meaningless. NFL football is entertainment and part of the allure of spectator sports is the cathartic display of emotion.

What gets me are the "people" that scream epithets and obscenities to specific players, coaches and refs. It's enough to call security if you are prepared to have a trial in the aisle.

Booing? Knock yourself out. If it hurts the players' feelings - too bad. Try a career in a cubicle.

Edited by WotAGuy

I wasn't there, but I imagine from how it sounded, that only perhaps 10% of the crowd was actually booing. 10% of 60-70,000 is LOUD. And he only questioned the loyalty of people that were booing, so, say 10% of the fans. Ive been to hundreds of games. When the booing is deafening less than half the fans look to be booing (the rest are just as pissed, but not booing).

There were a lot more than 10% of the people booing when EJ had to walk 70 yards across the field to get to the lockerroom at halftime. It was intentionally ugly and very reflective of what was one of the very worst offensive performances in a half of football in Bills history, preseason or otherwise. People paid good money to come watch that garbage and the coaches also expected them to compete hard in their last extended action before the opener and what we got was simply a lame effort from the offense. I don't expect much from preseason but that was utter garbage. And Mr. Slow-starter EJ needs to find a way to rise to the level of his competition a lot earlier if he wants to avoid more such instances. All is not lost but these guys owe us better than what they showed yesterday, whether it has been 14 years of losing or just year 2 of a regime that has struggled.

There were a lot more than 10% of the people booing when EJ had to walk 70 yards across the field to get to the lockerroom at halftime. It was intentionally ugly and very reflective of what was one of the very worst offensive performances in a half of football in Bills history, preseason or otherwise. People paid good money to come watch that garbage and the coaches also expected them to compete hard in their last extended action before the opener and what we got was simply a lame effort from the offense. I don't expect much from preseason but that was utter garbage. And Mr. Slow-starter EJ needs to find a way to rise to the level of his competition a lot earlier if he wants to avoid more such instances. All is not lost but these guys owe us better than what they showed yesterday, whether it has been 14 years of losing or just year 2 of a regime that has struggled.

Agree with most all of that.

And again, I wasn't there so I cannot say for sure. What I can say is after watching a lot of football games, like yourself, and looking around a lot while booing is going on because it takes a lot for me to boo (regardless of how much I think what I am watching is putrid. Most people are not booing even when it is really loud.

I don't have a problem with what Goodwin said. 14 years of not making the playoffs has NOTHING to do with this team right now. None of these players have been here 14 years. We are loaded with young talent that needs the support of the fan base as it tries to find its identity and groove.

I mean seriously, booing a preseason game? These games don't ever matter. Fans feel entitled to boo, and they have that right, because of 14 years of misery...but its a bit unfair to place that misery on the feet of guys who have been in the league a few years or less. Guys still learning the game, learning the system, and learning how to play with each other.

Again...its preseason people

I agree. I'm not a big fan of Booing the team I love. Never understood how that makes a fan feel better somehow.

Cheap shots or flagrant fouls or bad calls all deserved to be Booed, but a team trying their hardest to perform out there is an entirely different thing. If you want to motivate your team to play harder, thats not the way

When you have management that continually bungles the team for an extended period of time. Booing will occur.

Look at the sabres the past 2 years. The crowd was ugly. Once regier was finally canned, things are different and fans are on board with the direction, even though it means being the worst team in the league for awhile longer.

The fact that it is Ej and nobody else is maddening

I see that you hate people that question others fandom. I hope the irony in this post isn't totally lost on you.

It was a preseason game. If it mattered do we see guys like KW or Sammy? Would that have been our true starting o line? Is the playcalling the same? I'm not saying the performance is without any concern. They were ugly. They've shown little to believe in so far in preseason. But it's still booing a practice session. A ticketed scrimmage for a team that's still undefeated for 2014. At preseason games I expect some ups, some downs and a whole lot of indifference from the crowd as far as cheers after player intros. I don't expect fans to be loud on 3rd down in August, and I don't expect them to boo the team.

Boos seem silly. His reply seems silly. Big deal?

I'm going to drop the whole boo'ing topic for a second cuz you just shocked me with your response. So basically you're saying that that WASN'T the starting O linemen on the field? Isn't the 3rd game of preseason the so called "dress rehearsal"? Also, don't bring KW into this because he's on defense and the defense did their job the first couple of series until they got exhausted.

Sammy would of played if he was cleared. The kid needs reps before week 1 and this game would of only helped him not hurt him. If you know the real starting lineup on the OL though please share cuz Marrone hasn't told us anything.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of Booing the team I love. Never understood how that makes a fan feel better somehow.

Cheap shots or flagrant fouls or bad calls all deserved to be Booed, but a team trying their hardest to perform out there is an entirely different thing. If you want to motivate your team to play harder, thats not the way

Amen. Never understood it either. The sight (or sound) of grown men booing other grown men always seemed a bit strange in my book. Especially if you're going to games because it's something you enjoy doing. The same people booing are the same people here saying how bad the Bills are and have been. So it's kind of like, what did you expect.

There's probably over 10 million Bills fans worldwide if not more, so 10% of that is one million people. Basically he called out one million people's loyalty then.

Look, point still goes back to the offense as a WHOLE being boo'ed. This silly kid takes it upon himself to talk trash to the fans as if he knew us personally. As if he hasn't been at the stadium where we screamed our asses off when he scored a TD (and not many may I add).

I like the dude as a athlete and loved adding him to the team last year but he's replaceable (especially this year). He's fighting for the team's 4th or 5th WR spot.

Also like other posters have said, on his twitter account he's in his college uniform and not the Bills uniform. Wasn't his dream to be in the NFL? Wasn't he happy when the Bills believed in him enough to draft him? So where's HIS loyalty?

Even my 2 year old daughter was booing.

That was how bad of a performance it was.

Historically Bad!!

We may be witnessing history here, folks:

1. Historically The Worse team in history.

2. Historically The Worse GM in History.

3. Historically The Worse Coach in History.

4. Historically The Worse QB in History.

I think it may be time for a new owner.

IMO

There's probably over 10 million Bills fans worldwide if not more, so 10% of that is one million people. Basically he called out one million people's loyalty then.

Look, point still goes back to the offense as a WHOLE being boo'ed. This silly kid takes it upon himself to talk trash to the fans as if he knew us personally. As if he hasn't been at the stadium where we screamed our asses off when he scored a TD (and not many may I add).

I like the dude as a athlete and loved adding him to the team last year but he's replaceable (especially this year). He's fighting for the team's 4th or 5th WR spot.

Also like other posters have said, on his twitter account he's in his college uniform and not the Bills uniform. Wasn't his dream to be in the NFL? Wasn't he happy when the Bills believed in him enough to draft him? So where's HIS loyalty?

People taking this personally need to seriously adjust their perspective on life. Stat.

Amen. Never understood it either. The sight (or sound) of grown men booing other grown men always seemed a bit strange in my book. Especially if you're going to games because it's something you enjoy doing. The same people booing are the same people here saying how bad the Bills are and have been. So it's kind of like, what did you expect.

What is your opinion on grown men who pay money to attend games played by other grown men even though the team has been losing for 14 years? Serious question.