Napa Valley California Earthquake

CowgirlsFan

Then their houses all destroyed by then

6.0 earthquake. Damage negligible in buildings of good design and construction; slight to moderate in well-built ordinary structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken.

Edited by Helpmenow

I will drink Napa wine as a way of showing solidarity with those directly affected by the quake.

Went on a tour of Jordan Winery and the guide said "Sonoma is for wine, Napa is for auto parts".

A 6.1 is a good quake, but we've been through worse. 6.1 will wake some up, damage older buildings and mobile homes. Most of the buildings damaged were older, brick buildings and the fires that took out 6 mobile homes (I think).

The Napa Post Office which was built in the 1930's is pretty much destroyed. It's a brick building and you could see the building pretty much shifted.

A large crack popped up to. Right through a residential neighborhood. It buckled streets, sidewalks, and one guys home. The news showed him packing up everything he could before they wouldn't allow him back into his home again.

I still remember the '89 quake. You don't forget something like that and I was 90 miles away from the epicenter. That earthquake was scary.

Edited by Kevin

A fisher popped up to. Right through a residential neighborhood.

A fisher? That must have been a mean azz marten to buckle the street like that? Did he run around the mulberry bush getting chased by a monkey before he popped up?

;-P ;-P

Glad you are safe Kevin... Just busting on the autocorrect...

Went on a tour of Jordan Winery and the guide said "Sonoma is for wine, Napa is for auto parts".

:lol: Outstanding!

Both counties make some wonderful wine. I prefer going to Sonoma wineries (or at least I did 10+ years ago) and many of the Napa wineries have become too commercial and expensive. Wineries I went to in the 90's, and had very good affordable wine, were "discovered". By 2005 they had a more "upscale" visitor experience and their wine (same wine) had moved out of my price range.

Both counties make some wonderful wine. I prefer going to Sonoma wineries (or at least I did 10+ years ago) and many of the Napa wineries have become too commercial and expensive. Wineries I went to in the 90's, and had very good affordable wine, were "discovered". By 2005 they had a more "upscale" visitor experience and their wine (same wine) had moved out of my price range.

So, in other words... Chef pinched you out. :-O

A fisher? That must have been a mean azz marten to buckle the street like that? Did he run around the mulberry bush getting chased by a monkey before he popped up?

;-P ;-P

Glad you are safe Kevin... Just busting on the autocorrect...

I'm ashamed to admit, but I thought that the large cracks caused by earthquakes were called fishers. I could have swore I heard it called a fisher on the news too, but I obviously was wrong. Maybe I confused it with a rupture?

Edited by Kevin

Not sure I understand, but if Chef pinched me out, I hope he wiped---and flushed!

LoL... :lol: Pinched as in squeezed, priced out... You know how those "upscale" visitors can wreck things! <_<

I'm ashamed to admit, but I thought that the large cracks caused by earthquakes were called fishers. I could have swore I heard it called a fisher on the news too, but I obviously was wrong. Maybe I confused it with a rupture?

No... I think it would be a fissure. You aren't trying for an instant TBDism are you? :P

Seriously, I am not seeing any other definition except a fisherman and a marten (type of weasel).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

LoL... :lol: Pinched as in squeezed, priced out... You know how those "upscale" visitors can wreck things! <_<

No... I think it would be a fissure. You aren't trying for an instant TBDism are you? :P

Seriously, I am not seeing any other definition except a fisherman and a marten (type of weasel).

Ok, so I googled fissure and yes that is it. I just spelled it wrong, thank God.

But also when I googled it the first thing that came up was anal fissure. So now I have this image of Chef pinchin a Dean and getting a fissure in the process, all because of a 6.1 magnitude earthquake.

Ok, so I googled fissure and yes that is it. I just spelled it wrong, thank God.

But also when I googled it the first thing that came up was anal fissure. So now I have this image of Chef pinchin a Dean and getting a fissure in the process, all because of a 6.1 magnitude earthquake.

:lol: Oh my!

We used to have almost daily earthquakes living in Alaska. Most of them you couldn't really feel (the pictures on the wall might rattle a little bit). One evening, however, we got one that was nearly a 4 on the Richter scale. I know it's small potatoes for you California guys, but it was really scary for someone who hasn't experienced an earthquake before. I can't imagine what a 6+ would feel like.

Hope all is well...

Try the Ramona area Dean, a old wine making area (prohibition killed the wine industry in San Diego) now a new up and coming wine making region. You can do a wine tasting visit and meet the owners and wine makers on your visit. Most of them will be pouring your glass.

Barely woke me up. We live on the Hayward fault which they keep saying is way over due for a big one. I just thought it was "our" fault giving a small burp. When I got out of bed 3 hours later was surprised to hear it was a 6 and only 40 miles away. Not even one picture askew on the walls.

Regarding Napa vs Sonoma for wine. Napa still reigns champion for overall quality but Sonoma kicks butt for visiting. Sonoma has some fantastic wines too but the best part is that is much larger than Napa and you can have the same number of people in either Valley and Sonoma will appear empty. We've done several wineries in Sonoma where we're the only ones there. Our first three years here we went to wine country once a month and all but two were to Sonoma. I have a guy who works for me who knows a bunch of Sonoma wine makers. They got on the Napa wine train and smuggled on a bunch of Sonoma wines. Fantastic!!