Grantland article on playcalling

NoSaint

The premise is what is the nfls equivalent of the "corner 3" in basketball - the most efficient jump shot in basketball as far as expected points per shot taken.

http://grantland.com/features/nfl-corner-3-nba-offense-success-strategy-run-game-screen-pass-play-action/

spoiler: its the play action and the seahawks offense is real good at it. nice long breakdown with plays spliced in to demonstrate concepts. i know a lot of you enjoy that sort of thing.

Love these articles and I learn much from them. Thanks for posting it and I hope Hackett reads it.

buffalo did make an appearance, and probably no shocker to many here:

Only four teams had a worse EPA/play on play-action passes in 2013: St. Louis, Jacksonville, the New York Jets, and Buffalo. That’s a rough list.

buffalo did make an appearance, and probably no shocker to many here:

Man, I mean even without him saying it you just knew that was the case.

People have been worrying about our defensive 3-4 or 4-3 scheme so much that there really hasn't been much consideration to our offensive scheme other than blaming EJ or stating running out of the shotgun sucks...which it does.

It's funny this is the topic of the article, because something I've definitely noticed during training camp highlights and even in the preseason games is that EJ is doing a very nice job on his play fakes -- really selling them. Seems as though this is something being emphasized.

It's funny this is the topic of the article, because something I've definitely noticed during training camp highlights and even in the preseason games is that EJ is doing a very nice job on his play fakes -- really selling them. Seems as though this is something being emphasized.

I noticed that too. Far too many QBs these days just mail it in.

EJ is a very good ball handler and always has been, as far as handoffs and play fakes goes. It's an often under appreciated skill for a quarterback. Hackett, to me, did not use play action at the right times at all last year, one of the criticisms of him that is wholly warranted and had nothing to do with the mess he was handled.

EJ is a very good ball handler and always has been, as far as handoffs and play fakes goes. It's an often under appreciated skill for a quarterback. Hackett, to me, did not use play action at the right times at all last year, one of the criticisms of him that is wholly warranted and had nothing to do with the mess he was handled.

yea, his playcalling troubles didnt seem to be solely of the limited playbook due to talent variety but also struggling with sequencing what he had or situationally pulling the right one

Agreed. They seemed to forget the play action was in the playbook at critical times.

Good find, NoSaint. This isn't news but makes you wonder how this year might be different...

"Supporting the claim that establishing the run doesn’t necessarily mean play-action success are last year’s Bills (minus-.18 EPA). Buffalo led the league in rushing attempts but ranked last in EPA/play on play-action. For a team like the Bills, those numbers tend to have a significant relationship. Head coach Doug Marrone’s tendency to lean on his ground game was a way to protect his group of young quarterbacks, a group that isn’t set up to make the quick reads necessary on play-action throws."

Good find, NoSaint. This isn't news but makes you wonder how this year might be different...

"Supporting the claim that establishing the run doesn’t necessarily mean play-action success are last year’s Bills (minus-.18 EPA). Buffalo led the league in rushing attempts but ranked last in EPA/play on play-action. For a team like the Bills, those numbers tend to have a significant relationship. Head coach Doug Marrone’s tendency to lean on his ground game was a way to protect his group of young quarterbacks, a group that isn’t set up to make the quick reads necessary on play-action throws."

its interesting. ive heard the playaction argument both ways --- some say that turning the back to fake it and coming back to make a quick read is incredibly hard for the young guys, while others point to it as a security blanket creating safe throws and simpler reads.