Regime change a cap killer - another reason why the Bills need to win

The Bills have the third youngest roster and the second most dead cap money in the NFL. These stats would be somewhat at odds if the roster were one that was stable. The Bills like any other NFL team is hurt by regime changes because inevitably there is roster turnover. This leads to a loss of experience and dead cap money. Much of the Bills hit is tied up in Fitzgerald and Johnson, two players who do not fit the new regime.

As another point of comparison look at the Browns - they are in a similar boat to Buffalo though they carry less dead cap. It's not only about how much you spend but how wisely you spend it. The Bills may have been able to keep Byrd had they not been burned by the Fitz deal for example.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/117248/inside-slant-dead-money-totals

The Bills have the third youngest roster and the second most dead cap money in the NFL. These stats would be somewhat at odds if the roster were one that was stable. The Bills like any other NFL team is hurt by regime changes because inevitably there is roster turnover. This leads to a loss of experience and dead cap money. Much of the Bills hit is tied up in Fitzgerald and Johnson, two players who do not fit the new regime.

As another point of comparison look at the Browns - they are in a similar boat to Buffalo though they carry less dead cap. It's not only about how much you spend but how wisely you spend it. The Bills may have been able to keep Byrd had they not been burned by the Fitz deal for example.

http://espn.go.com/b...ad-money-totals

Money wasnt the issue with Byrd. He wanted to play for NO. He said so in an interview before he was a FA. I think it was on ESPN right after the tag dadline

To your point, the dead money hasnt kept us from signing anyone, not sure how it has hindered us

every team has this issue. not a big deal. top guys, especially those handled by Eugene Parker, will not stay in and will be encouraged to leave this franchise. worked for Whitner, Williams and a host of others. The Bills get7th rounders like Fitz and Stevie, nice guys decent talents who worked the process for big bucks they could not have gotten elsewhere.

Bills are not a franchise you want to be with if you have other options for equal or more money. Bills are a fringe franchise in the NFL, top young guys looking at their second and maybe last contract want to be in the mainstream NFL where the best coaching management, facilities and city scene are. to get to the playoffs. to compete for the title while they are healthy. Bills haven't offered any of that in the past 20 years and show few signs of turning it around in the near term.. so if you are a hot young player or an ambitious agent looking to make waves, you push your top clients to the Bills?? um.. no . Just is what it is until the team starts producing on the field.

Jeff Littman------- Buddy Nix------ Overdorf--------- the gift keeps on giving.

A bottom feeding franchise with the second most dead cap money, with no franchise QB pulling down mega bucks,speaks volumes

To the OBD front office competency. Overpaying for DE's didn't help either. how many more games has the team won since dumping that bundle of cash? I include

Andersons contract in that cluster*#*£ of signings too.

Soon, it will change!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Best Player Available

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/117248/inside-slant-dead-money-totals

That's BS! I can't believe they are still dealing with dead cap from 1997 seventh round pick Pat Fitzgerald!!!

we'll shed much of that dead cap next season

Virtually all of it.

http://espn.go.com/b...ad-money-totals

Btw, that article was in February. The Bills have a dead cap hit of nearly 23M now.

I'm also not too sure of your point.....unless you are suggesting that new ownership will necesitate another regime change. As it stands, all of the recent regime change dead cap hits will be over after this season.....so all of that extra money in the future can be spent on our budding stars of the future.

we'll shed much of that dead cap next season

Correct.

However, the point of the thread is that a regime change will likely dig us right back in as the inevitable changes in the roster hit.

Virtually all of it.

Btw, that article was in February. The Bills have a dead cap hit of nearly 23M now.

I'm also not too sure of your point.....unless you are suggesting that new ownership will necesitate another regime change. As it stands, all of the recent regime change dead cap hits will be over after this season.....so all of that extra money in the future can be spent on our budding stars of the future.

Not sure where you got a more current number as I looked for one. I have no basis to contest what you say. My point was really more around the idea that a regime change is likely to lead to a dead cap issue again. It is hard for a team to become competitive in this kind of cycle.

Not sure where you got a more current number as I looked for one. I have no basis to contest what you say. My point was really more around the idea that a regime change is likely to lead to a dead cap issue again. It is hard for a team to become competitive in this kind of cycle.

Hopefully with a bit of luck we will have some success thus preventing yet another regime change. Fingers crossed.

Additional to the site that QCity listed above, I also use http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Both are really good for up to date(usually) cap information.

Interesting point, but if there is a new regime after this season, they should have significant flexibility in terms of the cap and signing current players or free agents, which will be important since we will not have a first round pick next year as things currently stand.

every team has this issue. not a big deal. top guys, especially those handled by Eugene Parker, will not stay in and will be encouraged to leave this franchise. worked for Whitner, Williams and a host of others. The Bills get7th rounders like Fitz and Stevie, nice guys decent talents who worked the process for big bucks they could not have gotten elsewhere.

Bills are not a franchise you want to be with if you have other options for equal or more money. Bills are a fringe franchise in the NFL, top young guys looking at their second and maybe last contract want to be in the mainstream NFL where the best coaching management, facilities and city scene are. to get to the playoffs. to compete for the title while they are healthy. Bills haven't offered any of that in the past 20 years and show few signs of turning it around in the near term.. so if you are a hot young player or an ambitious agent looking to make waves, you push your top clients to the Bills?? um.. no . Just is what it is until the team starts producing on the field.

im hearing that you feel like Buffalo's problem is talent. I disagree. We have tons of talent on both sides of the ball. The most in our division--except for ONE position, qb.

We've had poor draft rankings for guys like Dalton, Kapernick, Wilson etc. who have all been on the board when it was our turn to pick but for whatever reason we weren't astute enough to pull the trigger on these playoff caliber QB's.

You're reading into it too much. We have signed stars like Terrell Owens, Mario Williams, Brandon Spikes and Mike Williams in recent years.

Its not that we can't recruit and sign big names, its that we havent been lucky enough to hit on a reliable, consistent qb. its that simple.