Stephon Gilmore

I was wondering how many posts it would take before someone came up with an excuse for him.

Let's keep track...

Misses Pettine :lol:

Rules changes hurt his game

It's preseason

Vanilla scheme

Slow offseason recovery

No pass rush

INSANE route running and catches are indefensible :lol:

Confused :cry:

Lingering issues from last seasons injury

Lost confidence

Keep 'em coming!

Edited by HurlyBurly51

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd bet a lot that he doesn't give up 16

That is twice in this thread that you have posted this. What exactly are you getting at? I don't think he will give up 16 either. I don't think anyone here has even implied that. I won't hold the Benjamin catch as blown coverage as it was a play where he did everything right except turn and look for the ball. The play last night was a good throw but the wr was wide open. It is a concerning trend that twice in 2 weeks teams have gone right at him imo. That isn't what anyone wants to see from the teams "shutdown corner."

Let's keep track...

It's preseason

Vanilla scheme

Slow offseason recovery

No pass rush

Keep 'em coming!

Trying to figure out which one is more lame, the its preseason or the guy made an insane catch.

Gilmore was 10 yards off his receiver last night with the ball at the 17 and still got beat. How do you let your receiver get behind you and get the corner playing 10 yards off at the 17? It was like he was standing still

Edited by Max997

Let's keep track...

It's preseason

Vanilla scheme

Slow offseason recovery

No pass rush

Keep 'em coming!

Can we also get a similar list as to the reasons we should all be devastated by the fact that the guy gave up a TD in a preseason game?

As I said, I'd like to see him play better and not allow TDs. That said, he's had stretches where he's been excellent, so let's not distort the situation too much.

Can we also get a similar list as to the reasons we should all be devastated by the fact that the guy gave up a TD in a preseason game?

As I said, I'd like to see him play better and not allow TDs. That said, he's had stretches where he's been excellent, so let's not distort the situation too much.

So you're going with the its preseason excuse which is number 3 on the list.

I don't care that its preseason, he looks horrible

That is twice in this thread that you have posted this. What exactly are you getting at? I don't think he will give up 16 either. I don't think anyone here has even implied that. I won't hold the Benjamin catch as blown coverage as it was a play where he did everything right except turn and look for the ball. The play last night was a good throw but the wr was wide open. It is a concerning trend that twice in 2 weeks teams have gone right at him imo. That isn't what anyone wants to see from the teams "shutdown corner."

I bring it up as perspective. You don't like to see the 2 tds given up, but I think in that context it's clear it's an anomaly, and not what any of us would expect. Although once was in response to someone saying what if he does give up 16.

I bring it up as perspective. You don't like to see the 2 tds given up, but I think in that context it's clear it's an anomaly, and not what any of us would expect. Although once was in response to someone saying what if he does give up 16.

Sure giving up tds may be an anomoly but what about the fact that teams are targeting him, especially in the redzone. That is what, out of everything, is the most concerning to me. Especially since they are succesful in doing so...

Trying to figure out which one is more lame, the its preseason or the guy made an insane catch.

Gilmore was 10 yards off his receiver last night with the ball at the 17 and still got beat. How do you let your receiver get behind you and get the corner playing 10 yards off at the 17? It was like he was standing still

It was the dead leg! He pulled an Eddie Robinson and fell for the Pennington dead leg move :lol:

Go for it. It's 2 games in a row, btw. I think the point is that he might be a tad over-hyped around here by some resident experts.

For those that are offering up all the excuses for Gilmore, answer this, how confident are you in Gilmore going up against Brandon Marshall in week 1 based solely on his performance so far in the preseason (and not how he performed in years past)?

I think Gilmore's recovery from off season hip surgery may be coming along a little slower than expected. Let's not forget he missed all of OTA's and only recently started with full team practices.

HOW DARE YOU !

Mike , you sure know how to spoil us folks carrying on as if we held the reins .

i am just reading up here , but i am not a fan of Gilmores play in general. But i am mostly wrong . if other teams respect him and the Bills can use that,

fantastic, right ?

I suspect he will come around he is struggling to get his feet sorted out better instead of using his size as much as did.

Last seasons injury messed his head up a little .

He may not have his confidence back yet .

we all get whupped once in awhile. admit it !

we all get whupped once in awhile. admit it !

There are no excuses for that play. I was steamed !

But he got beat. How he plays the next play (s) should tell about his future .

How about we give him the Leodis get out of jail free card .

The 4 year version by the way.

Gilmore was better at the end of his rookie year after a terrible start so let's keep things in perspective before telling ppl they are Wrong Again.

Gilmore is being targeted by opposing teams and is not doing anything to stop it. This isn't new to this preseason either as its just a continuation to what we saw last year when everyone was making excuses for him but now there is no injury so the excuse is that's its preseason. Give me a break

Break granted. You need it!

Gilmore is a very good DB..... Maybe not elite, but there is certainly still a chance for him to become that..... best cover man on the Bills by a mile. He shut down some very good WRs in one on one match ups in his short career. Yes he's made some errors. So what?

Last year his excuse was playing most of the year with out a hand. Can you imagine being athletic enough to start for an nfl team at corner with one hand? Jeeeze

He'll be fine.

Go for it. It's 2 games in a row, btw. I think the point is that he might be a tad over-hyped around here by some resident experts.

I've seen this claim made before--what I haven't seen is the supposed hype.

I've seen many folks say thy think he's a good CB with shutdown potential.

I mean, if we're going to blast the hyped parts of the team, why not also take to task the vaunted pass rush--featuring 3 pro bowlers--that didn't even breath on Big Ben last night.

I've seen this claim made before--what I haven't seen is the supposed hype.

I've seen many folks say thy think he's a good CB with shutdown potential.

I mean, if we're going to blast the hyped parts of the team, why not also take to task the vaunted pass rush--featuring 3 pro bowlers--that didn't even breath on Big Ben last night.

I agree. Ben had all day in the pocket last night.

I will concede that Gilmore looked bad in a preseason game last night. But if you are going to continue to ride out your anti-Gilmore agenda, you have to also maintain that you have "bad vibes" about Sammy Watkins.

Not agreeing with a draft selection and thinking that Watkins is a bad player are not the same.

If EJ sucks (which perhaps you think is not possible), trading away a very possible top 10 pick for any receiver is stupid or so I think.

What do YOU think?

And btw, do you think the Bills gave up too much in that trade? Better yet, is there ANY price that would have been too much?

You are lucky. I wish I could love everything the Bills do and be offensive and act in a sanctimonious way to those who dare disagree with me, or this winning management team.

Carry on! :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

For those that are offering up all the excuses for Gilmore, answer this, how confident are you in Gilmore going up against Brandon Marshall in week 1 based solely on his performance so far in the preseason (and not how he performed in years past)?

For lack of a better phrase, I would say some would have to be an idiot to ignore a career to focus on 2 practice sessions. The approach simply doesn't make sense. He's had some ups and downs but he's a young player that I feel like is going the right direction.

Sure giving up tds may be an anomoly but what about the fact that teams are targeting him, especially in the redzone. That is what, out of everything, is the most concerning to me. Especially since they are succesful in doing so...

I don't think anyone is gameplanning to target him right now. It was two plays, one of which was a heckuva catch still to get there.

For lack of a better phrase, I would say some would have to be an idiot to ignore a career to focus on 2 practice sessions. The approach simply doesn't make sense. He's had some ups and downs but he's a young player that I feel like is going the right direction.

I don't think anyone is gameplanning to target him right now. It was two plays, one of which was a heckuva catch still to get there.

I wasn't talking about practice sessions, because if I did, we could discuss how Sammy Watkins has been torching him in those practice sessions.