Whaley: 'Nobody has called Bills about Spiller'

qblax16

It's like people just want to read the things that they want to see and not read the things that they don't want to see.

The full quote is as follows:

"We have not been contacted by any team about C.J. Spiller," Whaley said. "These rumors are news to me, and it's exciting for you guys I guess because it gives you something to fill the newspaper with. You know I'm a straight shooter. We have not been contacted by any teams.""I can probably see where people see our depth at running back and try to connect the dots with teams that don't have depth, but again, no one has talked to us," Whaley said.

it really is nice how this thread neglected big chunks of that and kind of wedged pieces together

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One silver lining for us that hope Spiller stays.

Someone in the front office called CJ when trading in the draft for Sammy (CJ then called EJ as it has been stated by CJ). You wouldn't think a person in the Bills Draft room would call someone they had intentions on trading...

it really is nice how this thread neglected big chunks of that and kind of wedged pieces together

All the other stuff is fluff... Repeating the carefully worded statement that nobody called him is what I'm concerned with.

OK so the Browns GM When asked if Hoyer is on the trading block/ going to be traded. "No absolutely not". Why not just say that. To me there is too much talking there. Trying to cover up something.

I don't want to lose the guy. He really doesn't want to get traded, you can tell he got down about the rumors. I think that's why he's putting off getting an agent. He doesn't want to have someone make the team think he's not happy or play hardball. Despite what he said about talking to Byrd, I think he would take a hometown discount to stay. I am expecting he'll play with his hair on fire and it will be a monster year for him.

OK so the Browns GM When asked if Hoyer is on the trading block/ going to be traded. "No absolutely not". Why not just say that. To me there is too much talking there. Trying to cover up something.

Why are you abandoning the entire context of the news reports saying Chip Kelly was inquiring about spiller etc. That is what this article was referring to, news that teams were inquiring about Spiller. Then you create a conspiracy theory because Whaley didn't address himself contacting other teams? That wasn't the news, nor was it the question! :wallbash:

Edited by What a Tuel

Why are you abandoning the entire context of the news reports saying Chip Kelly was inquiring about spiller etc. That is what this article was referring to, news that teams were inquiring about Spiller. Then you create a conspiracy theory because Whaley didn't address himself contacting other teams? That wasn't the news, nor was it the question! :wallbash:

What?

What?

You are creating a conspiracy out of nothing. (By you, I mean everyone in this thread who thinks this is some double speak) Whaley specifically said:

"Again, no one, I'll tell you guys and you know I'm a straight shooter," Whaley said. "We have not been contacted by any teams. I can probably see where people see our depth at running back and try to connect the dots with teams that don't have depth, but, again, nobody has contacted us."

Do you really think Whaley meant "Look guys, I am a straight shooter, we haven't been contacted by any teams, and trade rumors are news to me, but little do you guys know, I am lying and I am secretly calling up teams myself and shopping Spiller"

You are creating a conspiracy out of nothing. (By you, I mean everyone in this thread who thinks this is some double speak) Whaley specifically said:

"Again, no one, I'll tell you guys and you know I'm a straight shooter," Whaley said. "We have not been contacted by any teams. I can probably see where people see our depth at running back and try to connect the dots with teams that don't have depth, but, again, nobody has contacted us."

Do you really think Whaley meant "Look guys, I am a straight shooter, we haven't been contacted by any teams, and trade rumors are news to me, but little do you guys know, I am lying and I am secretly calling up teams myself and shopping Spiller"

The same Whaley that said Stevie Johnson is a part of this team and will play a big role with this club. Days later traded...

That same straight shooter?

The same Whaley that said Stevie Johnson is a part of this team and will play a big role with this club. Days later traded...

Was that before or after we moved up to pick up a new number 1 receiver?

If you watched any of the draft day videos, they weren't completely sure they would get Watkins until Cleveland called them back minutes before their pick.

Prior to the draft Stevie Johnson was our #1 receiver and a huge part of our team. What part was false?

Edit: I just realized that if Whaley would have said what you wanted him to say "CJ Spiller is a part of this team and will play a big role with this club",(using different words of couse) you wouldn't have believed him anyway.

Edited by What a Tuel

I think the difference between Stevie and CJ is that CJ has more value to our team. Also, Whaley's remarks about Stevie were said before we got Watkins in the draft. Without Sammy, the Stevie trade may not have happened.

As has been pointed out, at the time Whaley made the Stevie statement, it was true.

And I believe the same holds true for the CJ remark. To date, no contact with any team/no trade discussions. Things can change, of course. He didn't say "We will never trade Spiller no matter what offer we get." That would simply be stupid.

As has been pointed out, at the time Whaley made the Stevie statement, it was true.

And I believe the same holds true for the CJ remark. To date, no contact with any team/no trade discussions. Things can change, of course. He didn't say "We will never trade Spiller no matter what offer we get." That would simply be stupid.

So the Bills did nothing to sure up the RB position in case CJ is moved like trade for Bryce Brown or Sign Boobie Dixon?

All he has to say is he is not being traded, kind of like the Browns GM did when asked about Hoyer.

It would have been nice to hear Whaley say Spiller will not be traded. His equivocal remark reminds me of Bon Jovi's statement about the Bills in Buffalo.

Though I suppose if Spiller was on the market, at least one club would have inquired about him. So my guess is Spiller is not on the market.

And I think that is very good. When you have a young, unproven QB it's very useful to have a stable of productive RBs.

So the Bills did nothing to sure up the RB position in case CJ is moved like trade for Bryce Brown or Sign Boobie Dixon?

All he has to say is he is not being traded, kind of like the Browns GM did when asked about Hoyer.

The Bills shored up the RB position, but not necessarily for a trade. In fact I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason, as Bryce fumbles too much to be a #1 back, IMO.

He didn't, and shouldn't, preclude the trading of Spiller at some future time, should something come along. Why put yourself in a box, where you will either miss an opportunity or be made a liar?

This is so TBD, to take one of our best guys and then find a few holes in their game and declare that a couple of mid level draft picks would serve us better (somehow).

All I heard last week was he couldn't run up the middle and then the first play of the game vs the Panthers he runs for 15 yards up the middle.

You don't win by getting rid of good talent for something that might or might not be better next year. Stop playing for next year. Use him this year and try to get to playoffs. If he wants to move on next year, not biggee. There are always RBs available in FA. Saints do a pretty good job of getting theirs that way.

The Bills shored up the RB position, but not necessarily for a trade. In fact I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason, as Bryce fumbles too much to be a #1 back, IMO.

He didn't, and shouldn't, preclude the trading of Spiller at some future time, should something come along. Why put yourself in a box, where you will either miss an opportunity or be made a liar?

true, but don't you think he'd have a stronger reaction if asked whether Kiko was on the block? Sammy? Gilmore? Woods?

I'll take a few fumbles a season for a guy that in his 1st two opportunities to start, rushed for over 300 yds. That is a dice I'd be willing to roll.