Why Does Al Sharpton Need Police Officer's Name?

3rdnlng

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is Obama last night dancing up a a storm at a Martha's Vineyard fundraiswer while Ferguson, and pretty much the rest of the world, is on fire.

I suspect this is going to haunt the hell out of him for the rest of his term.

obama-dancing-Elizabeth-Cecil.jpg

It's a protest dance.

This is Obama last night dancing up a a storm at a Martha's Vineyard fundraiswer while Ferguson, and pretty much the rest of the world, is on fire.

The Ferguson situation is no more Obama's responsibility than Katrina was Bush's responsibility. :w00t:

Charles C W Cooke adds his response to to the To Name and to Name Not article I posted in Reply #26

Kevin Williamson writes:

Here’s a microcosm of the relationship between state and citizen: We know the names of the
, but not the name of the police officer at the center of the case.

This matters for a variety of reasons. But among them is that when the state and its agents appear to be giving their own people special treatment, the institutions that we hold dear come under threat.There have been voices in Ferguson demanding that the cop who kicked the whole thing off be summarily fired and charged with murder. This, obviously, is a disastrous idea. Justice being a process and not an outcome, the officer in question is entitled to due process, to presumption of innocence, and to the care and patience that any other man would be. If he’s guilty, I hope he is punished severely. If he’s not, I hope he goes free. Either way, I hope that the system works as it should. The basic problem with the various “Justice for Michael” exhortations that we have seen from the outset is that they can — can, not always do — quickly cease being a call for a fair evaluation and turn into advocacy for a particular outcome.

This having been said, it’s difficult to sell lofty notions of impartial justice when you’re seen to be withholding information and breaking promises. It was disastrous that the initial police press conference conferred no useful data whatsoever. It was a considerable mistake for the authorities to have promised to release the name of the cop and then to have failed to do so. It was downright bizarre that Chris Hayes managed to interview the key witness before the state did. And, as Kevin suggests, the heavy handed and militaristic response to the subsequent rioting may well have served only to have added to the tensions, rather than to have assuaged them.

I have no idea what happened between the officer in question and Michael Brown. I can’t know that. Almost nobody in the world can know that. I do know, however, that there are understandable historical and contemporary reasons why the residents of Ferguson, Missouri would be skeptical of the police.

more at the link: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/385398/re-name-and-name-not-charles-c-w-cooke

Edited by B-Man

I believe you over estimate this picture and the value. No one in the mass world will see it. We only saw Trayvon because Obama helped it get pumped in our face. This time he has no real dog in this fight because he doesn't need elected.

I believe you over estimate this picture and the value. No one in the mass world will see it. We only saw Trayvon because Obama helped it get pumped in our face. This time he has no real dog in this fight because he doesn't need elected.

Wait 'til October.

And the big surprise!!!

http://theblackspher...p-is-black-plus

I thought this was going to be about the other big surprise: that the 'unarmed teenager' was a criminal and the cop was responding to a robbery call.

http://news.yahoo.com/turmoil-tear-gas-way-hope-ferguson-053336976.html

Edited by KD in CT

I really do not care if the officer is black or not..........(I'll leave that to the left)

I'm just glad the name is released.

Good, because it turns out he is white. Some on jumped the gun.

I thought this was going to be about the other big surprise: that the 'unarmed teenager' was a criminal and the cop was responding to a robbery call.

http://news.yahoo.co...-053336976.html

Not surprised that this "teenager" was a suspect.!!

http://news.yahoo.co...-053336976.html

Incorrect. Once again, it amazes me that individuals with such an otherwise healthy mistrust of government have such a huge blinds spot when it comes to Law Enforcement.

The "robbery" in question took place early in the morning, and the officer was not "responding to it".

Nor was the victim treated as a suspect. He was told to stop walking in the street and get to the sidewalk.

Incorrect. Once again, it amazes me that individuals with such an otherwise healthy mistrust of government have such a huge blinds spot when it comes to Law Enforcement.

The "robbery" in question took place early in the morning, and the officer was not "responding to it".

Nor was the victim treated as a suspect. He was told to stop walking in the street and get to the sidewalk.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but my problem with these protests has nothing to do with trusting LEOs. If that cop shot this guy down intentionally, in cold blood, and because he was black I still don't think it justifies the level of national attention because we're being fed a bogus narrative: that racist cops gunning down black "children" is an epidemic.

I'd like to see some statistics to see just how frequently unarmed black "children" are gunned down by white cops. I'm guessing it's not a lot, and 1 outlier does not make an epidemic.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but my problem with these protests has nothing to do with trusting LEOs. If that cop shot this guy down intentionally, in cold blood, and because he was black I still don't think it justifies the level of national attention because we're being fed a bogus narrative: that racist cops gunning down black "children" is an epidemic.

I'd like to see some statistics to see just how frequently unarmed black "children" are gunned down by white cops. I'm guessing it's not a lot, and 1 outlier does not make an epidemic.

My anger isn't over an "epidemic".

My anger has much more to do with the appearance that the police are working to protect their own, rather than doing what they would do were the shooter anyone other than a police officer; and the para-military response to protests.

looks like the same clothes in both images

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2014/08/10/justiceformike.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/xC2kdYz348N9poPUdYTuYA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTEwNzU7cHlvZmY9MDtxPTc1O3c9OTYw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2014-08-15T152807Z_1460881089_GM1EA8F1T4N01_RTRMADP_3_USA-MISSOURI-SHOOTING-OFFICER.JPG

That's not inconsistent with being treated as a suspect. I've had it happen to me - told to get out of the street, on to the sidewalk, then been searched for contraband and been threatened with arrest.

Wacky fun.

My anger isn't over an "epidemic".

My anger has much more to do with the appearance that the police are working to protect their own, rather than doing what they would do were the shooter anyone other than a police officer; and the para-military response to protests.

I know. I just wanted to seguay off your point to clarify the distinction that I wasn't endorsing the cops, while also highlighting your point that law enforcement is still the government and should be treated with a healthy level of skepticism.