Chicago Media- Bills are an Easy Win

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 1m

Yes. RT @ZaneBancroft4: @RapSheet when you say it "will be some time" does that mean Zach Miller would be out week 1 of the regular season?

Alshon Jeffery got dinged in last night's game. Probably not serious, but worth keeping an eye on. They're not particularly deep at WR after Marshall and Jeffery.

Kyle Fuller hurt his ankle too... xray negative, but another one to keep an eye on.

Oh geez he's one of my least favorite players. But it will be just our luck he will grab the winning TD in week 1, one of only 7 receptions all year or something.

You took the words "write" off my keyboard....

I watched the first half of that game last night and I think the Bears are the perfect first opponent for the Bills.

They seem to have a pretty good offense and a mediocre defense. The Bills offense should be able to put up some points on that defense. If they cannot, then that is a red flag. Similarly, the Bills defense should get a good test from the Bears offense. If they can stop or at least significantly slow down Cutler and company, that bodes well.

Yes it's only one game, and the first game of the season at that. But I see this game as a very good barometer for the rest of the season.

I agree that this is a good barometer. I think the Bills have more talent than people realize. Being on the road won't help but I'll hope it will be like the KC opener a few years backs. Bills O/Bears D and Bears O/Bills D both could be very interesting. Special teams will hurt us as some bad decisions were made last year and will show themselves early I fear.

The biggest difference is likely to be the wide gap between Trestman and Marrone. Trestman appears to be gradually building a mutual trust and understanding between himself and his players. It is early yet but he reminds me of Marv. Marrone is less confident and more panicked and it shows. This is only one game and anything could happen but it should also be a good barometer in gauging the difference in 2nd years with a rising professional cerebral coach and a desperate somewhat under qualified should-be assistant with average intelligence.

I agree that this is a good barometer. I think the Bills have more talent than people realize. Being on the road won't help but I'll hope it will be like the KC opener a few years backs. Bills O/Bears D and Bears O/Bills D both could be very interesting. Special teams will hurt us as some bad decisions were made last year and will show themselves early I fear.

The biggest difference is likely to be the wide gap between Trestman and Marrone. Trestman appears to be gradually building a mutual trust and understanding between himself and his players. It is early yet but he reminds me of Marv. Marrone is less confident and more panicked and it shows. This is only one game and anything could happen but it should also be a good barometer in gauging the difference in 2nd years with a rising professional cerebral coach and a desperate somewhat under qualified should-be assistant with average intelligence.

It's amazing what you can glean from a few sideline shots on TV. Like a window into the soul.

I am not understanding how you have come to the conclusion of this 'wide gap' between Trestmn and Marrone' with respect to the players. I don't see that. Perhaps you could elucidate.

no, it's because the Bears allowed the most rushing yards per carry last yr in the reg season since 1961. And don't look better, yet.

Maybe the Bills should focus on the run game ?

I mean they have four running backs . worth a shot i think /s

@AdamSchefter: Bears and former Jets WR Santonio Holmes have agreed to terms, per team source.

yep saw that

Bears agree to terms with Santonio Holmes

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 16, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT

300x-710.jpg?w=250

Getty Images

The Bears have a hole for a third receiver, withMarquess Wilson injured.

They’re attempting to fill it with a veteran.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Bears have agreed to terms with Santonio Holmes.

The 30-year-old was a shell of himself with the Jets last year because of a foot injury, but if he’s well, he could contribute to a dangerous passing game.

But it remains to be seen what he has left.

I am not understanding how you have come to the conclusion of this 'wide gap' between Trestmn and Marrone' with respect to the players. I don't see that. Perhaps you could elucidate.

If you re-read my post you'll see that the "Wide gap" was between Trestman and Marrone overall. I did state that Trestman is building a foundation with his players. I did not say Marrone had a bad relationship so you mis-read it a little.

The wide gap I see is in overall approach. The Bears have a coach who is calm and gradually building. There were gaps in talent, and still are, on the Bears, but no panic. Here we are not perfect by any means but we have a LOT of talent. Marrone is going to have to be panicked because he decided to keep a substandard coaching staff, leaving a lot for any one person to do. He has to do his own job, cringe every time special teams go on the field, teach Hackett to shave, etc.etc. This multi-modal approach will inevitably lead to a haphazard look which never plays well. Whether players respond by tuning him out or not remains to be seen. It can't be a good start that he ditched Stevie for having a personality.

Trestman does have more experience than Marrone .

But Marrone can kick his puny a++ .

so there.

If you re-read my post you'll see that the "Wide gap" was between Trestman and Marrone overall. I did state that Trestman is building a foundation with his players. I did not say Marrone had a bad relationship so you mis-read it a little.

The wide gap I see is in overall approach. The Bears have a coach who is calm and gradually building. There were gaps in talent, and still are, on the Bears, but no panic. Here we are not perfect by any means but we have a LOT of talent. Marrone is going to have to be panicked because he decided to keep a substandard coaching staff, leaving a lot for any one person to do. He has to do his own job, cringe every time special teams go on the field, teach Hackett to shave, etc.etc. This multi-modal approach will inevitably lead to a haphazard look which never plays well. Whether players respond by tuning him out or not remains to be seen. It can't be a good start that he ditched Stevie for having a personality.

The last year of Gailey and Wannstache ws tuned out . I dont feel thats the case right now. He is no media darling and he made errors as as a rookie NFL coach . no question . I think he has the team now. Lets see if his vision and method work this year .

Trestman is cerebral and building trust but he is less passionate and does not relate to the players as well. Discipline is a concern (as it was for Marv, truth be told). The Chicago media have long expressed the concern about his ability to relate to the players. This kind of shows up where the strategy side (offense) is clearly outshining the more brute force emotional side (defense). Also, believe me he has said some head scratching things in press conferences.

Marrone is a passionate coach who is a players coach and relates to them extremely well. He wears his heart on his sleeve and takes accountability for the team and is no dummy. IMHO he runs the perfect balance between brains and emotion. May have the occasional goof with the media but that is not high on my list of desirable coaching attributes.

Both were ready for their shot. I like Marrone's chances for success and unless Trestman gets his defense in gear he will wear out his welcome in a hurry.

Trestman is cerebral and building trust but he is less passionate and does not relate to the players as well. Discipline is a concern (as it was for Marv, truth be told). The Chicago media have long expressed the concern about his ability to relate to the players. This kind of shows up where the strategy side (offense) is clearly outshining the more brute force emotional side (defense). Also, believe me he has said some head scratching things in press conferences.

Marrone is a passionate coach who is a players coach and relates to them extremely well. He wears his heart on his sleeve and takes accountability for the team and is no dummy. IMHO he runs the perfect balance between brains and emotion. May have the occasional goof with the media but that is not high on my list of desirable coaching attributes.

Both were ready for their shot. I like Marrone's chances for success and unless Trestman gets his defense in gear he will wear out his welcome in a hurry.

i also recall trestman being criticized last year for some questionable in-game decision making. Of course Marrone was as well and it is typical for 1st time NFL HCs.

Didn't read through all 12 pages of this thread, but I'll chime in as a Bills fan (born and raised) but a Chicago resident. First, there's nothing biased about local radio in terms of picking the Bears over the Bills. The Bills opened almost a TD underdog to the Bears according to betting lines. In the history of games played by the Bills at Soldier Field, they're 0-4. OK, so a 2 game difference separated these two teams records last season. The Bears though were 6-2 playing at home, while the Bills were 2-6 on the road. I want to be optimistic. I want the Bears to overlook the Bills and be sloppy out of the gates. Alternatively, I would love an old fashioned ass whooping. But if I'm being realistic, this SHOULD be an easy win for the Bears.

Didn't read through all 12 pages of this thread, but I'll chime in as a Bills fan (born and raised) but a Chicago resident. First, there's nothing biased about local radio in terms of picking the Bears over the Bills. The Bills opened almost a TD underdog to the Bears according to betting lines. In the history of games played by the Bills at Soldier Field, they're 0-4. OK, so a 2 game difference separated these two teams records last season. The Bears though were 6-2 playing at home, while the Bills were 2-6 on the road. I want to be optimistic. I want the Bears to overlook the Bills and be sloppy out of the gates. Alternatively, I would love an old fashioned ass whooping. But if I'm being realistic, this SHOULD be an easy win for the Bears.

"Media Bias" IMHO means the practice by so called media experts who dismiss the Bills out of hand without any understanding of what they are about as a team- just because they are the Bills. A lazy, uninformed opinion. No work or investigation involved in sizing up what the Bills have done to their roster, coaching staff, front office, etc.

This is exactly what happened during some instances of local reporters discussing the opening game.

Some other more informed sports talk show hosts mentioned the Bills and was familiar with the careers of Sammy Watkins, EJ Manuel and liked the way the defense looked last year. Being a Chicago reporter he also knew that the Bears lost both games last season to the Lions, and that Jim Schwartz was now the Bills DC.

He clearly did not believe this game would be an easy win for the Bears.

"Media Bias" IMHO means the practice by so called media experts who dismiss the Bills out of hand without any understanding of what they are about as a team- just because they are the Bills. A lazy, uninformed opinion. No work or investigation involved in sizing up what the Bills have done to their roster, coaching staff, front office, etc.

This is exactly what happened during some instances of local reporters discussing the opening game.

Some other more informed sports talk show hosts mentioned the Bills and was familiar with the careers of Sammy Watkins, EJ Manuel and liked the way the defense looked last year. Being a Chicago reporter he also knew that the Bears lost both games last season to the Lions, and that Jim Schwartz was now the Bills DC.

He clearly did not believe this game would be an easy win for the Bears.

Those "informed" reporters are always wrong.