C.J. Spiller's Value in Fantasy Football

johnwalter

Spiller will be fine in a ppr league as a rb2. I'm snatching him up when I can if he doesn't get drafted too high.

I still remember the monster numbers he gave me in '12.

Don't rely on him as rb2.... Take as a flex or RB3 and you will be much happier!!!

If you don't get him, be happy you don't have the big risk/reward

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away unless he drops much further. The Bills will utilize the dreaded RBBC.

all but a small handful of teams are utilizing the dreaded RBBC - and their running backs are the ones going in the top ten. RBBC is just part of fantasy football now.

I have a PPR fantasy draft coming up in the next few days and I'm giving Spiller a look as a late 3rd round, early 4th round option. Last year, I stayed away from Spiller (top-5 was just too high for the kid), but this year, he's going around pick 34 - which seems like good value, especially in a PPR format.

My worry is that he'll score < 5 TDs because Hackett will play either Dixon or Freddy once the offense gets down to the redzone. Spiller has looked hot in the preseason, but he hasn't stayed in the games long enough to determine whether he'll get a share of the redone carries, so my question to you is (especially for those of you who attend training camp at John Fisher)...

Has Spiller been taking redzone reps in training camp, or are all carries beyond the 10-yard line given exclusively to Boobie and Freddy?

I tend to stay away from Bills players simply because the Bills offense has been so inconsistent for so long. Freddy turned out to be the better pickup last year, and he was ranked as a late round pick

Just a friendly reminder to all that there is a fantasy football forum here! It is somewhat of a ghost town but I'm sure there are enough of us here that play ff to change this.

Don't rely on him as rb2.... Take as a flex or RB3 and you will be much happier!!!

If you don't get him, be happy you don't have the big risk/reward

He can be a great pick up (2 years ago) or a complete bust (last year). He is most valuable in a ppr format. That said he is very boom or bust. Also add in the fact that he is competing with a lot of different weapons this year he is a scary draft. I agree with Cletus if he is your rb 2 it will be terrifying if he is a flex option that you can play based on matchups you will be happy.

all but a small handful of teams are utilizing the dreaded RBBC - and their running backs are the ones going in the top ten. RBBC is just part of fantasy football now.

I'm not so sure this is true the top 6 backs are (according to most rankings) Forte, Charles, AP, McCoy, Lacy, and DeMarco Murray ( :sick:) simply because they aaren't rbbc. RB is highly ranked due to the thought of them getting guranteed touches. Spiller already has to share with Freddy and will not be getting any goal line carries which diminishes his value even more.

I tend to stay away from Bills players simply because the Bills offense has been so inconsistent for so long. Freddy turned out to be the better pickup last year, and he was ranked as a late round pick

Freddy is going to fall off a cliff soon. I don't know when but it will happen lol. Spiller is boom/bust as I said before and I also tend to steer away from Bills players due to the inconsistency. Rashad Jennings is going right around the same area as CJ this year and he is someone I would take over CJ. I like Giant running backs because Coughlin loves to pound the ball and Eli likes to dump the ball off. Andre Ellington in a PPR is in the same area and someone who should get the majority of backfield work for AZ.

Bottom line on CJ is he could be great and it is awesome to own a player that blows up from your favorite team. It is a win/win however the opposite sucks and sucks badly. I might draft CJ if I can get value for him but I am cautious for all of the reason listed above. I also think there are better options in his area.

I probably picked him a bit too high, but got him at #28 in a 12-team league as my 2nd RB. I really do think he'll kill it this year -- healthy and supremely motivated. Don't let his good nature and Bible verse tweets fool you -- CJ knows what has been said about him and is ready to bring it.

I probably picked him a bit too high, but got him at #28 in a 12-team league as my 2nd RB. I really do think he'll kill it this year -- healthy and supremely motivated. Don't let his good nature and Bible verse tweets fool you -- CJ knows what has been said about him and is ready to bring it.

I'm seeing a reoccurring trend.... Last years draft + grabbing him at 28 = AHHHHHHHH

That's a bit high for my blood, I grabbed him at the end of round three. Would have waited until round 4 but nfl.com had him ranked over Vereen, who I like better. Ended up going Demaryius, AJ Green, Spiller, Vereen, Joique to start. Michael Floyd then fell to me. I almost never draft wr/wr but felt it was good value at the back end of a 12 team ppr.

All Bills RB's are going to go the way of Carolina's RB's. Worthless in terms of fantasy. One week, one will play well, the next week, he will be invisible. I wouldn't even waste a pick on them before the 6th.

New Orleans' backs were like this last year :(

New Orleans' backs were like this last year :(

The pass catcher generally still has value in that situation. Last year in NO, for example, Pierre Thomas ranked #16 in my league. Woodhead ranked #13. Spiller has the potential to have that type of role here, if not higher.

All Bills RB's are going to go the way of Carolina's RB's. Worthless in terms of fantasy. One week, one will play well, the next week, he will be invisible. I wouldn't even waste a pick on them before the 6th.

I think that is the rule, rather than the exception in the NFL these days...it isn't just the Bills, and other sucky teams. There are, by my count, about 6 teams in the league that, barring injury, will have one very dominant ball carrier...that is why guys like McCoy, Charles and Peterson are so valuable. I don't think this is necessarily a reflection on the players, as much as an indication of where the game is heading right now...it is a passing game, few teams will have a 300 carry back...very few. My own personal rankings, I have CJ ranked as a top 20 back, somewhere around #15-17. I would be very pleased to get him in the late 2nd or 3rd round. Spiller will have a bit more value in PPR leagues as well...I just have a feeling that the Bills/Hackett will do a better job of taking advantage of Spillers talent...if they do, he could be a steal.

I am keeping an eye on Spiller, but I Would steer clear of him in the first three rounds even in a PPR league. 4th or 5th round would be a good slot to take him if you ask me. I think his value is that of a number 2 running back, but the guy is boom or bust for sure.

There simply are simply far more running backs that will "kill" your team than help them... Spiller has far more "upside" than all but about 10 backs. He may have been over drafted last season, but he wasn't a completely useless pick...and, people are ignoring that he was playing injured most of the 2013 season. If he had been completely useless last season, I could understand all the trepidation... I say this as somebody who had the 12th & 13th pick in a snake draft last season..RB pool was extremely thin at that point... I ended up with Ray Rice and Chris Johnson, in that order..talk about busts...even knowing how it turned out, I would take Spiller this year, in a heartbeat over those two guys...and most rankings I have seen don't rank Rice, C Johnson and Spiller all that far apart...rediculous!

There simply are simply far more running backs that will "kill" your team than help them... Spiller has far more "upside" than all but about 10 backs. He may have been over drafted last season, but he wasn't a completely useless pick...and, people are ignoring that he was playing injured most of the 2013 season. If he had been completely useless last season, I could understand all the trepidation... I say this as somebody who had the 12th & 13th pick in a snake draft last season..RB pool was extremely thin at that point... I ended up with Ray Rice and Chris Johnson, in that order..talk about busts...even knowing how it turned out, I would take Spiller this year, in a heartbeat over those two guys...and most rankings I have seen don't rank Rice, C Johnson and Spiller all that far apart...rediculous!

Freddy, a guy who never goes before the 4th, was in the top 10 for fantasy backs last year. He may not get the ball as much for goal line carries, but 5+ yards from the goal. he will. Spiller has much more of a "downside" than Fred. There are games where Spiller gets 8 carries. That's not worth a top 20 pick in fantasy.

I think that is the rule, rather than the exception in the NFL these days...it isn't just the Bills, and other sucky teams. There are, by my count, about 6 teams in the league that, barring injury, will have one very dominant ball carrier...that is why guys like McCoy, Charles and Peterson are so valuable. I don't think this is necessarily a reflection on the players, as much as an indication of where the game is heading right now...it is a passing game, few teams will have a 300 carry back...very few. My own personal rankings, I have CJ ranked as a top 20 back, somewhere around #15-17. I would be very pleased to get him in the late 2nd or 3rd round. Spiller will have a bit more value in PPR leagues as well...I just have a feeling that the Bills/Hackett will do a better job of taking advantage of Spillers talent...if they do, he could be a steal.

You are right that many teams have that system. The teams that don't have the big superstars at the RB position. AP only comes out of the game when he's dead tired, not because of the situation. I disagree that it's not a reflection of the players, I think it is. There is no reason to not give the ball to Forte, AP, Lynch, McCoy etc. They can do it all. If a player can't do it all. he gets swapped out.

If Spiller could improve his ability to get "short yardage," I think he'd be a top 10 back. He'd have no reason to come out of the game. But he does, which really kills his value in fantasy.

EDIT: I'm talking pure fantasy here.

Edited by FireChan

Rumors are all over the tweeter twatter machine today about spiller getting dealt. Nothing with any recognizable substance but out there nonetheless.

@ByTimGraham: Doug Whaley says any C.J. Spiller rumors are news to him. No teams have contacted him about trading for Spiller.

Edited by FluffHead

• 4 weeks later...