Hogan

The Wiz

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwiw, Hogan didn't help us win a single game last year. TJ did.

But I still say let them play it out on the field.

Let's say that there are 8 really big plays in each game on average (4 for each team). That is 64 big plays for the year. I think that TJ could be responsible for 5 of them. My breakdown would look something like this:

-Watkins - 12

-Defense - 12

-Spiller - 10

-Goodwin - 7

-ST - 5

-Graham - 5

-Woods - 5

- Williams - 3

- Freddy -3

- Bryce Brown - 2

Let's say that there are 8 really big plays in each game on average (4 for each team). That is 64 big plays for the year. I think that TJ could be responsible for 5 of them. My breakdown would look something like this:

-Watkins - 12

-Defense - 12

-Spiller - 10

-Goodwin - 7

-ST - 5

-Graham - 5

-Woods - 5

- Williams - 3

- Freddy -3

- Bryce Brown - 2

When you say "big" plays I assume you only mean good ones? Got to consider negative game changing plays too, such as a drop on 4th down in New England where a wide open TJ leaps for a well thrown ball.

When you say "big" plays I assume you only mean good ones? Got to consider negative game changing plays too, such as a drop on 4th down in New England where a wide open TJ leaps for a well thrown ball.

yeah. But you can do that with Hogan too. Meaning he's not big enough, fast enough, tough enough to get the ball and get to a first down against real NFL corners. TJ has show that he can do that. Maybe sometimes he destroys his own opportunities. True. But he still creates those opportunities more. Let's be realistic here. Hogan is a great story but he doesn't have the abilities to be an NFL WR regularly. TJ at least has that ability.

I am just counting positive (otherwise the ST number would be higher). The negative ones often result in just another down. If you drop a bomb on 1st and 10 the result is 2nd and 10. It is a missed opportunity. Turnovers are what they are as well. Those missed opportunities are tough to quantify until after the game. Positive plays are easier to determine during the game.

-Watkins - 12

-Defense - 12

-Spiller - 10

-Goodwin - 7

-ST - 5

-Graham - 5

-Woods - 5

- Williams - 3

- Freddy -3

- Bryce Brown - 2

i was thinking more along the lines of what they did last year. But I see your point.

for every big play by Graham there is a fumble like the one vs KC or a dropped pass or bad route at a critical point. Hogan isn't going to make the big plays but lots of very consistent plays add up to big plays imo. it's all about keeping the chains moving and a possession receiver like Hogan can get the job done when called upon

Who do you want in when it's 3rd and 5 ??

7-11 who EJ has confidence in, or Mr. Dropsie?

7-11... The nickname reminds me of a bad Fat Albert reference. Has a kind of "you're like school in summer... no class" vibe to it. Instead, I vote we change it to "Home of the Big Gulp" if he makes the team to spruce it up a bit.

for every big play by Graham there is a fumble like the one vs KC or a dropped pass or bad route at a critical point. Hogan isn't going to make the big plays but lots of very consistent plays add up to big plays imo. it's all about keeping the chains moving and a possession receiver like Hogan can get the job done when called upon

That is the point!! He isn't going to get the snaps to make lots of consistent plays. If we are talking about a guy that is going to play 1/2 the snaps Hogan may be a better fit. In the few opportunities a game that they will get Graham can make a bigger impact.

That is the point!! He isn't going to get the snaps to make lots of consistent plays. If we are talking about a guy that is going to play 1/2 the snaps Hogan may be a better fit. In the few opportunities a game that they will get Graham can make a bigger impact.

well you know how that goes. injuries can deplete our WR depth pretty quickly

i was thinking more along the lines of what they did last year. But I see your point.

I was just throwing a number out and a % of those plays allocated to a particular player.

well you know how that goes. injuries can deplete our WR depth pretty quickly

Totally agree and that is the flip side of the argument. If we lose 2 guys which one do you want playing 1/2 the snaps? That may very well change things.

In a year though where you are playoffs or bust I am taking the guy that best fits when healthy. If they aren't healthy they aren't going to the playoffs anyways.

I am just counting positive (otherwise the ST number would be higher). The negative ones often result in just another down. If you drop a bomb on 1st and 10 the result is 2nd and 10. It is a missed opportunity. Turnovers are what they are as well. Those missed opportunities are tough to quantify until after the game. Positive plays are easier to determine during the game.

I get your point in general, but I can think of two devastating screwups he made last season in addition to his very low production.

Hogan has earned some first team reps in camp. What do the coaches see that much of TBD does not?

so has Dixon, Brown, and Stefon Charles but nobody is giving them credit for getting love here either.

so has Dixon, Brown, and Stefon Charles but nobody is giving them credit for getting love here either.

I've been singing Dixon praises since the first practice. Dude will impress a lot of people if he gets any burn Sunday. Very, very quick for a big guy.

Doesn't answer the question. Are the coaches are just throwing him into 1st team reps because it's his turn?

He has a hard time tracking and catching passes, now we want to kick him punts where he has to track and field balls with guys bearing down on him and drops are turnovers?

The funny part is, that's pretty much what most of his college career was. Maybe he just has trouble running and catching at the same time. I'll give him his senior year was a good year for him but his numbers are pretty much the same transitioning from college to pro.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tj-graham-1.html