GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

Bucks in position to have #1 recruiting class. Huge commitment today from NJ CB Jordan Fuller ranked 41st overall in this class. Over UM, ND, PSU. Currently 21 pts behind LSU for #1.

Edit: finished anywhere from 4 to 1 depending on the recruiting site.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spring game observations:

I absolutely love this young Buckeye team. They probably won't make the playoff this year (next year is in the cards for sure though) but they will definitely be fun to watch. Lots of hunger out there, so many guys who have been waiting to get on the field and prove themselves. So many young playmakers like Weber, Gibson, Dixon, Baugh, McLaurin, etc.

Also, Schiano has made his mark. The defense isn't going to miss a beat IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Spring game observations:

I absolutely love this young Buckeye team. They probably won't make the playoff this year (next year is in the cards for sure though) but they will definitely be fun to watch. Lots of hunger out there, so many guys who have been waiting to get on the field and prove themselves. So many young playmakers like Weber, Gibson, Dixon, Baugh, McLaurin, etc.

Also, Schiano has made his mark. The defense isn't going to miss a beat IMO.

Fun day on BTN yesterday. Definitely a lot of exciting talent on display. Has Weber always looked so jacked, or has Coach Marotti been working magic in the weight room again? Glad to see Burrow playing with confidence. The Bucks will probably need him to step up at some point this year given the way Urban runs his QBs into the ground.

I agree the defense looked pretty aggressive, but I couldn't tell if that was because of the incomplete o-lines. Either way, I look forward to watching all these kids - even though I could see them dropping several games this fall.

Fun day on BTN yesterday. Definitely a lot of exciting talent on display. Has Weber always looked so jacked, or has Coach Marotti been working magic in the weight room again? Glad to see Burrow playing with confidence. The Bucks will probably need him to step up at some point this year given the way Urban runs his QBs into the ground.

I agree the defense looked pretty aggressive, but I couldn't tell if that was because of the incomplete o-lines. Either way, I look forward to watching all these kids - even though I could see them dropping several games this fall.

the OL is definitely the weak spot at this point. Going to take some time to gel. I'm glad they hired Studrawa to coach the OL and let warriner focus on OC. I think it hurt the offense last year with him doing double duty. OL might start a true freshman (Michael Jordan) which is nerve wracking. But I think Weber is the real deal. He runs angry! i think he and Barrett will do well with the read option, but he likely won't be the blocker that Zeke was out of the gate. Our WRs are raw but very exciting. I do think it all come down to the OL and the young, inexperienced secondary.

Burrow is very intriguing...

Edited by YoloinOhio

the OL is definitely the weak spot at this point. Going to take some time to gel. I'm glad they hired Studrawa to coach the OL and let warriner focus on OC. I think it hurt the offense last year with him doing double duty. OL might start a true freshman (Michael Jordan) which is nerve wracking. But I think Weber is the real deal. He runs angry! i think he and Barrett will do well with the read option, but he likely won't be the blocker that Zeke was out of the gate. Our WRs are raw but very exciting. I do think it all come down to the OL and the young, inexperienced secondary.

Burrow is very intriguing...

Not relevant to the spring game, but the bolded comment above is an important part of the Cardale Jones draft analysis that lots of people don't seem to understand.

Well you're a better man than me for making the effort!

if the Bills actually do end up drafting him, I'll make more of an effort. Right now I think a lot of people who didn't follow OSU don't care to learn anything about him or his situation because it doesn't matter and it's easier to stereotype or follow pre-conceived notions. Once it matters (if he's a Bill), that will probably change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm interested in finding out the details of the violation, and bummed that Dunn never really found is footing within the program. This is a timely reminder that sometimes (oftentimes) highly touted high school recruits with lots of stars next to their names don't pan out.

I'm interested in finding out the details of the violation, and bummed that Dunn never really found is footing within the program. This is a timely reminder that sometimes (oftentimes) highly touted high school recruits with lots of stars next to their names don't pan out.

"altercation with female"

His girlfriend filed a protective order against him earlier in the day yesterday ... No charges, but I'm sure Urban knows what happened and pulled the trigger

They needed to get under scholarship limit anyway. He was a guy who had a ton of potential and just never panned out. Rod Smith part II.

My favorite Brionte Dunn OSU memory is when cops found a pot pipe in his car but his mom took the fall.

oh my... this is exactly what Chris Carter was talking about. You've got to have people in your crew ready to bite the bullet for you. If that somebody happens to be mom, so be it.

Edited by Ohiostyle

• 1 month later...

Gibson suspended for the season. Apparently he was harassing one of his tutors over Snapchat? I don't know. No matter how many stars you put in front of their names....

This situation is a little odd though, because Urban publicly disagrees with the decision. Urban has been tough on his players since arriving in Cbus -- benching and suspending players who break the rules. In 2013 he made the painful and costly decision to bench Marcus Hall for flipping off the Big House. Last year a bunch of starters (and future NFLers) sat out the primetime VT game for smoking pot. A couple of weeks ago Brionte Dunn was correctly kicked off the team based on accusations of violence against a woman even though the Bucks are thin at tailback. In the face of accusations that he's too soft on players in the wake of the Aaron Hernandez debacle at Florida, he has shown little tolerance for BS when it comes to the Buckeyes. So seeing him dispute the Gibson suspension makes me wonder what is really going on.

Gibson suspended for the season. Apparently he was harassing one of his tutors over Snapchat? I don't know. No matter how many stars you put in front of their names....

This situation is a little odd though, because Urban publicly disagrees with the decision. Urban has been tough on his players since arriving in Cbus -- benching and suspending players who break the rules. In 2013 he made the painful and costly decision to bench Marcus Hall for flipping off the Big House. Last year a bunch of starters (and future NFLers) sat out the primetime VT game for smoking pot. A couple of weeks ago Brionte Dunn was correctly kicked off the team based on accusations of violence against a woman even though the Bucks are thin at tailback. In the face of accusations that he's too soft on players in the wake of the Aaron Hernandez debacle at Florida, he has shown little tolerance for BS when it comes to the Buckeyes. So seeing him dispute the Gibson suspension makes me wonder what is really going on.

yep, and suspending Carlos Hyde for 3 games in 2013 even though there were no charges just because he shouldn't have been "in that situation." He's certainly tough on his players compared to many Div I coaches. Truth to told, Gibson has been a knucklehead since he got here and urban disciplined him internally last year. Thought he had turned it around, so this sucks but sounds like Urbs doesn't think the punishment fit the crime. In light of the Baylor scandal, I think universities are being extra attentive to accusations that come from females and trying to make sure the athletes aren't treated differently.

I assume Yolo has seen this already, being the social media wizard that he is. Really sweet moment.

https://twitter.com/OhioStateFB/status/771128163623501824

of course! So on the Urban Meyer call-in show today, they asked him about this and he said they've been doing it for a few years and that a lot of parents get scared thinking they are calling because their kid is in trouble, bad grades, etc :lol:

This especially cool because there is history with Weber and signing with Osu (if you go back in this thread to national signing day 2015 you will see). Wishing for big things for that kid.

Edited by YoloinOhio

of course! So on the Urban Meyer call-in show today, they asked him about this and he said they've been doing it for a few years and that a lot of parents get scared thinking they are calling because their kid is in trouble, bad grades, etc :lol:

This especially cool because there is history with Weber and signing with Osu (if you go back in this thread to national signing day 2015 you will see). Wishing for big things for that kid.

There might be a lot of sketchy **** that goes on with college teams/athletes but I love this kind of thing. I did see Mike tweet that he basically plays for them, seems like a really good kid.

Heard a lot of good things about him. Seems like the kind of guy I could root for (won't catch me cheering for OSU though) :lol:

Leaving aside the obvious comments about the starters and stats in that ridiculous and historic 77-10 victory, a few comments:

The BTN broadcast was incredible. Full coverage of the pregame, halftime, and postgame rituals. The announcers even kept quiet during Carmen Ohio. Really great. It's too bad ESPN and the networks are going to take all that away from us for the big games. Less is more when it comes to covering college football games at places like the shoe.

How about McCall? Kid wasn't even on my radar -- I thought we'd see a lot more of Williams. Seems to me he's a special talent and should probably start taking touches away from Dontre Wilson.

Burrow continues to impress.

The Bucks are in deep trouble following Oklahoma's loss to Houston today. The Sooners are unlikely to lose two early-season games. How about Tom Herman's Cougars beating FSU and Oklahoma in consecutive games?! It's looking less and less likely that he will be available for Ohio State when Urban leaves. Texas is going to lock him up pretty soon.

Great start to the season - depth at the skill positions looks insane.

The game was amazing because I really was worried about all the young bucks and jitters. They played such a clean game! The OL looked great (better than last year)? Weber really seemed upset that he didn't score. Urban mentioned in post-game that he should have broken s couple. I expect him to be hungry to do so.

They used Samuel like they should have used Braxton last year. I've seen him at practice and he's ripped from head to toe. He made BG look like they were running in quicksand. He's a true "Percy harvin", finally, for Osu.

As Good as the offense is, I think the defense is better. They are so fast and Schiano super aggressive. malik hooker - are you kidding me?

JT looked great but I'll be that guy. His pick 6 was terrible. It reminded me of the one he threw vs va tech in 2014 and PSU in 2014. It's like he has a blind spot or something where he just doesn't see the defender. They aren't like "unlucky" INTs. They are terrible decisions. Ok I'm done, I'm a big JT fan but he's got to stop those.

I've long penciled in the Oklahoma game as a loss but I'd not be surprised if they pull it out. So many playmakers, and Urban's record in true road games = undefeated at Osu.

Oh and as far as Demario McCall/antonio Wiliams.. AW enrolled early but I would not be surprised to see him redshirted. They are seriously dripping with young talent. And it will be triplicate with that insane 2017 class. All that will hold them back this year is inexperience.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I just saw on OZone that JT became OSU's all-time leader in pass efficiency on Saturday. His mark of 168.82 pushes Heisman Troy Smith's 157.1 to second. Pretty remarkable. I can't think of a better QB for this offense -- he can run and is great at getting the ball to the open receiver. Has Urban had a QB better at both than JT?

The most enjoyable part for me has been when he gets on a roll of consecutive scoring drives like he did at MSU in 2014, Michigan and ND at the end of last year, and obviously BG this past week. When he gets in that zone nobody can keep up.

Edited by Willyville Guy

JT runs the read option flawlessly. It's the perfect system for him. IMO he has way more talent at WR this year than he had in 2014, though inexperienced. Curtis Samuel's role will offset that inexperience a bit with how they are using him in the passing game. I also noticed they are utilizing the TE a lot more, finally!

I saw a draft guy on Twitter breaking down JT's film from last week and he seemed very unimpressed with his feet and mechanics (as a pro prospect). Said he got bailed out by his WRs and can't throw deep. Maybe true that he doesn't have a huge arm but he's made some big time throws in his career especially at MSU in 2014.

Supposed to rain during game today so hoping for big dose of Mikey Weber.

#beattulsa

Edited by YoloinOhio

Apparently Harbaugh addressed boogergate on the radio today and insisted that "no booger was eaten." Hilarious that this is part of the national conversation.

To the JT discussion above, I don't have him as a real good pro prospect. But he appears to be perfect for this style of offense, which will never fully develop at the next level unless pro teams start running their QBs into the ground. The "weenie arm" comment from last year still looms large for him, I guess, even though he consistently gets the ball to the open man.

As for Norman, I really don't know what to expect on Saturday. Hopefully it won't rain too badly because the Bucks seem to have a real hard time playing offense while wet.

Well that was fun. Great to see the young kids "come of age," as Urban said, on the road at one of the most difficult places to play in the country. Weber, Samuel, and Barrett coming out of the backfield are going to cause problems for everyone this year. And if teams sell out to stop the run there is Noah Brown (finally!) at wideout. So happy to see him to have a 4TD night and a catch for the ages after missing last year.

The defense keeps getting better. D-line exceeded expectations last night. Losing Conley early was very concerning (apparently just a stinger) but then the depth at corner came up big. Raekwon holding up the "basic defense" sign at the end of the game, in reference to the trash talk we heard this week from OU's backup QB Austin Kendall, was the icing on the cake (can't wait for Kendall to come to the Shoe next year as the starter). What a start to the season!

Toughest road schedule in recent memory coming up - kids better stay focused.

Edited by Willyville Guy