Most Exciting Bills Game Ever

The 1981 AFC Wild Card game cemented my existence as a die-hard Bills fan. Buffalo goes up 24-0 at Shea Stadium against the Jets behind magic by Joe Ferguson and WR Frank Lewis. But the Jets fight back in the second half and are driving the field to win the game in the waning seconds. On second and ten from the Bills 11 yard line...and only 10 seconds left in the game...Richard Todd gets picked by Bills safety Bill Simpson at the one yard line! I screamed like a girl and could not have been more emotionally invested in the game.

Here's a detailed game recap:

http://sportsthenandnow.com/2011/11/03/nfl-classic-rewind-jets-furious-rally-is-stopped-by-last-second-interception/

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head, the firstof which is obvious:

1. Playoff comeback win against the Oilers. Epic.

2. MNF loss to Cowboys a few years ago under Jauron. Was a loss but incredibly exciting.

Good call on 1988. Fred Smerlas blocked that kick.

Yeah, I don't care for him personally, but he made me a Bills fan right then.

The 1981 AFC Wild Card game cemented my existence as a die-hard Bills fan. Buffalo goes up 24-0 at Shea Stadium against the Jets behind magic by Joe Ferguson and WR Frank Lewis. But the Jets fight back in the second half and are driving the field to win the game in the waning seconds. On second and ten from the Bills 11 yard line...and only 10 seconds left in the game...Richard Todd gets picked by Bills safety Bill Simpson at the one yard line! I screamed like a girl and could not have been more emotionally invested in the game.

http://sportsthenand...d-interception/

That game was great! I remember Felser having an article after the playoffs, saying how epic they were - with that in the wild card, then the Dolphins-Kellen Winslow game, and then "The Catch" - three weekends of epic games.

1988 vs. Jets (goal posts)

1990 vs Dolphins (goal posts, Reich starting for Kelly)

All the AFC championships, especially the last one. That one against the Chiefs cemented the Bills as the greatest team ever in my eyes.

http://sportsthenandnow.com/2011/11/03/nfl-classic-rewind-jets-furious-rally-is-stopped-by-last-second-interception/

A WILD Card Game indeed!

1988 vs. Jets (goal posts)

1990 vs Dolphins (goal posts, Reich starting for Kelly)

All the AFC championships, especially the last one. That one against the Chiefs cemented the Bills as the greatest team ever in my eyes.

I can't believe that this one wasn't mentioned yet. I think of it every December 23rd. The biggest regular season game in Bills history, IMO.

Joe ferguson outguns Marino in the orange bowl, 38-35, 1983.

I remember this game very well. It was Marino's first start of his career. It was a very exciting game and you could tell right away that the Dolphins had hit the jackpot at QB.

Sorry for my hazy memory & if this one is already listed somewhere...no time to look through all of this.

Mine...a game at Denver (Monday night?)...88? 89? Bills were down pretty big and this was prior to their 90's success (I believe). That game the defense rose up & created turnovers. Bills came back to win the game. I was living in California at the time, listening to the radio broadcast fade in and out on station from Denver. Hopefully one of youse has a more clear memory of that game.

Anyhoo...I feel like that game showed the team what they were capable of and the rest...is history.

I have been to many games since 89, a Superbowl & AFC championship game, and none since 2010 when I moved to Cali :thumbdown:; but the most exciting Bills game ever has yet to be played...

It will be when we finally win it all :thumbsup:

Hopefully that will be in the next couple seasons.... B-)

The Denver game ? Christie kicks the 58 yd field goal, I think to win it. We had stucco ceilings in our house and I jumped up and threw my hands in the air!

....and proceeded to take a good amount of skin off of my knuckles.

lost that one in OT I believe. Flea-Flicker gone bad.

lost that one in OT I believe. Flea-Flicker gone bad.

i was at thatt one too....the tailwind behind Christie was ridiculous. if you can ever imagine a line-drive 58 yard field goal that was it. That was the same wind we tried to run the flea flicker into during OT, which was utterly stupid. Wade.

i was at thatt one too....the tailwind behind Christie was ridiculous. if you can ever imagine a line-drive 58 yard field goal that was it. That was the same wind we tried to run the flea flicker into during OT, which was utterly stupid. Wade.

Wasn't Marv the coach? Gilbride the OC?