CJ Spiller contract (Jamaal charles deal)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't compare Charles to CJ. IF you are you have other things you need to work out first.

I am pretty confident that a lot of GM's would rank him in that same category as Charles. Add in there that he is younger, has less mileage, and not coming off an acl, I could see CJ getting a similar deal.

I hope I am wrong, but I think someone will pay that kind of money for him.

You can't compare Charles to CJ. IF you are you have other things you need to work out first.

That's a pretty confrontational response friend. The correct response is "I don't believe CJ is at Charles' level." Which I would agree with for the most part but for whatever reason CJ's value around the league is much higher than his productivity so yes I do think he will demand Charles type money

That's a pretty confrontational response friend. The correct response is "I don't believe CJ is at Charles' level." Which I would agree with for the most part but for whatever reason CJ's value around the league is much higher than his productivity so yes I do think he will demand Charles type money

I agree.

A lot of GMs view Buffalo as a wasteland that doesn't develop talent the right way. Then, they let good talent go too early. See Marshawn Lynch & Spiller doesn't have the baggage Lynch did.

With all due respect (and I like Spiller) he will not be anywhere near Charles' deal. Charles' last 3 seasons he has averaged 1,467 yards and over 7 TDs and has always been above 5 yards per carry with another 465 and 4 TDs through the air. That is an average of over 1,900 yards from scrimmage and 11 TDs over a 3 year window. The consistency of the two players is what separates them. CJ will not see more than $6M a year and I would jump at the opportunity to pay him that.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

With all due respect (and I like Spiller) he will not be anywhere near Charles' deal. Charles' last 3 seasons he has averaged 1,467 yards and over 7 TDs and has always been above 5 yards per carry with another 465 and 4 TDs through the air. The consistency of the two players is what separates them. CJ will not see more than $6M a year and I would jump at the opportunity to pay him that.

You could be right. At this point, we are all speculating. I think if CJ has a great year (eg, 1400 yards type year), that will set the market for him. Will be interesting to see it play out.

I don't pretend to speak for NFL exec's. You do.

You're right. The rest of the league views Buffalo as great judges of talent and a well run team. It's why they don't trade for guys like Peters, Lynch, or stevie Johnson.

Only some Buffalo fans are dumb enough to think a guy that averages 5.1 ypc for his career isn't a very good weapon.

$50 right now - Spiller gets a contract of $5 million/ year next year. Deal?

With all due respect (and I like Spiller) he will not be anywhere near Charles' deal. Charles' last 3 seasons he has averaged 1,467 yards and over 7 TDs and has always been above 5 yards per carry with another 465 and 4 TDs through the air. That is an average of over 1,900 yards from scrimmage and 11 TDs over a 3 year window. The consistency of the two players is what separates them. CJ will not see more than $6M a year and I would jump at the opportunity to pay him that.

Charles might be the 2nd best running back in the NFL. You can argue McCoy isn't consistent either.

But I do think a lot of GMs think Spiller has been on a bad situation. Crappy Qbs and bad oline play, minus one year. The Chiefs had one of the best olines in the NFL last year.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

You're right. The rest of the league views Buffalo as great judges of talent and a well run team. It's why they don't trade for guys like Peters, Lynch, or stevie Johnson.

Only some Buffalo fans are dumb enough to think a guy that averages 5.1 ypc for his career isn't a very good weapon.

Charles might be the 2nd best running back in the NFL. You can argue McCoy isn't consistent either.

But I do think a lot of GMs think Spiller has been on a bad situation. Crappy Qbs and bad oline play, minus one year. The Chiefs had one of the best olines in the NFL last year.

Agree with all of that. I like Spiller and think that the value that he provides at the price he will command is a no brainer. If you can get him for roughly what he makes now (which you will) why wouldn't you? I would sign him now as I think he is in for a big year. At the very least he is a specialty weapon that can alter games with 1 touch. Either way, I hope that he remains in a Bills uni for years to come.

Agree with all of that. I like Spiller and think that the value that he provides at the price he will command is a no brainer. If you can get him for roughly what he makes now (which you will) why wouldn't you? I would sign him now as I think he is in for a big year. At the very least he is a specialty weapon that can alter games with 1 touch. Either way, I hope that he remains in a Bills uni for years to come.

Agree 100%. I guess he doesn't even have an agent now. I'm guessing he is gambling on a big year.

Hopefully, Hackett Junior uses him a lot more like Charles instead of Jerome Bettis.

now I've heard it all. With an average of 755 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs a season over his 4 year career. Saying he may be the 2nd best running back in the NFL. WOW!!!!! Someone put a fork in me.... I'm done.

And just because you can claim someone gets a contract over $5m a year doesn't mean they are good. It just means someone will be stupid and overpay for him.

Edited by mrags

now I've heard it all. With an average of 755 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs a season over his 4 year career. Saying he may be the 2nd best running back in the NFL. WOW!!!!! Someone put a fork in me.... I'm done.

And just because you can claim someone gets a contract over $5m a year doesn't mean they are good. It just means someone will be stupid and overpay for him.

You hate Spiller so much, you can't even read right. I clearly said Charles was the 2nd best rb in the NFL.

I get it. You think Spiller sucks. But yet when it comes to putting money on Spiller's production, you back down.

I do not advocate getting rid of CJ Spiller, he is an elite talent when healthy...and the last time we ran a RB out of town, he won a Super Bowl.

Now, I do think, given the team tried to trade up to draft Carlos Hyde, and had interest in Bryce Brown before the draft, they want to go in another direction.

I could see them trying to trade Spiller, or letting him walk at the end of the season...and using a 2nd round pick on Todd Gurley. (6-1, 232 - 4.4 forty.)

A platoon of Gurley, Brown, Dixon and Fred next year could be deadly...Gurley and Brown alone would be a dynamic duo at RB, major size/speed combo for both.

*But, I am an advocate for building through the draft and keeping your own homegrown talent...so we could use the 2nd round pick elsewhere.

Edited by Bob Malooga

Huh?

And good weapon? Sure. But McCoy/Charles are more than good weapons.

Who cares how much he gets paid unless it's the Bills overpaying for him?

Why does his average matter if he's only been able to start for ~14 games in 5 years?

I never really viewed Spiller as a traditional RB. I have always looked at him like Reggie or Harvin. A special guy that you get like 8 carries, 5 catches and returns. He is an offensive weapon. The trade for Brown in no way precludes them from locking up CJ in that role.