Off-Season Conditioning Should Be Mandatory

I'm amazed that for the amount of money these NFL players make, there is nothing in their employment contract that mandates conditioning programs.

I understand the union would fight this, but It would reduce injuries, be more healthy for the players (esp the big fellas who struggle with weight gain), and lengthen NFL careers.

This latest issue with Dareus reminds me of how absurd it is for there to be any surprise when our athletes check in to camp and step on the scale for the first time, or are asked to perform intense practice drills.

There's no secret to NFL success. There's a reason guys like Freddy, Bruce, Jerry Rice, Reed, Moulds etc played at such a high level for so long.

i'm not saying it has to be full-go daily workouts, but there should be workout and weight standards that are adhered to and verified for these players.

Everybody wins.

Well...

It basically is mandatory for NFL players with even an average amount of desire to be great, drive, and discipline...

Three things I think Dareus is lacking in a big...no HUGE way...

I've been saying it here forever...Kid was 318 at his Combine and a physical beast...He came into his first Camp at over 340 and I doubt he's got down much since then...The amazing part is how good Dareus has played at times considering...If MD had the attitude and drive of Kyle Williams he would be virtually unstoppable... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

he's a dumb kid. a lot of guys were dumb when they were 24 yrs old. he needs to grow up. with our luck we will choose to not re-sign him next year and he will go somewhere else and mature and be an pro-bowler every year. it's too bad, he has a lot of talent. look how good he is playing while giving no effort. just think how good he would be if he was devoted to his craft

Why do you want to make it mandatory?

If you think that that such a dictate is going to make it more likely that a player like Dareus or Mike Williams comes to camp being a lean mean fighting machine I doubt a contractual mandate will succeed in reaching this goal as other issues (Williams seemed to be a more tender person than the Bills concluded and the death of the grandmother who had actually raised him like a mother seemed to drive his meltdown. A mere contractual mandate would almost certainly have done little to change him into being a responsible person.

Likewise Dareus whose inter personal drama seems to be driven by substance abuse. Logic seems to be way down the list as a motivator for these men/boys so if you want to succeed in getting different results I think relying on logic of greater simple fiscal punishment MIGHT make a marginal difference in performance here but these problems seem a bit beyond logic.

Perhaps such a mandate would make it easier for a team to simply walk a way from a player, but actually I think a clearer measurable mandate might simply fall into the hands of the self-obsessed player. If the Bills were in fact to cut Dareus right now it would be a great fiscal reward for him.

If I was Dareus and you suddenly made him a free agent as a recent pro Bowler, he would score big time. He would get to choose where he wanted to play. Violating the mandate would likely make it tougher for him for a team to roll open the bank vault for him in a signing bonus, but he would likely score an even bigger contingency in his new contract which would further mandate he play to pay. However, his new team would benefit from him actually meeting a mandate and the Bills would simply get nothing for providing him with a object lesson.

The Bills and the rest of the NFL simply need to be adults in dealing with these talented men/boys and not really rely on some one size fits all mandate which makes it easier for them to make a bad draft choice and escape salary cap punishment for this bad choice by the team.

What does the conditioning test entail? How does a 300+ pound athlete demonstrate that he's fit enough to take the field?

Yeah, I've wondered about this too. What does it entail and how hard is it?

Failures are uncommon so I'm guessing it's reasonably easy to pass.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'm amazed that for the amount of money these NFL players make, there is nothing in their employment contract that mandates conditioning programs.

I understand the union would fight this, but It would reduce injuries, be more healthy for the players (esp the big fellas who struggle with weight gain), and lengthen NFL careers.

This latest issue with Dareus reminds me of how absurd it is for there to be any surprise when our athletes check in to camp and step on the scale for the first time, or are asked to perform intense practice drills.

There's no secret to NFL success. There's a reason guys like Freddy, Bruce, Jerry Rice, Reed, Moulds etc played at such a high level for so long.

i'm not saying it has to be full-go daily workouts, but there should be workout and weight standards that are adhered to and verified for these players.

Everybody wins.

I disagree only in that it should not have to be made mandatory or put in the contract. The players are supposed to be professionals and as such should be motivated enough, and professional enough, to keep themselves in shape and not show up to camp as an overweight out of shape slob.

My daughter is a high school basketball player. During the entire off season she is working with a coach, and doing strength training etc. to keep herself fit and strong and improve her game. She does this willingly on her own. You would think all professional athletes would care at least as much as a high school kid.

But, some people simply have no self discipline and cannot workout without someone forcing them to. Multimillionaire athletes however, can and should hire someone if they lack the self discipline themselves. Were I a NFL GM I would have absolutely no patience for anyone who disrespected the team enough to show up to camp out of shape.

Edited by CodeMonkey

<snip>

The CBA prohibits those sorts of mandatory programs.

Teams give players nutritional and workout info. Would a player be wise to follow them? Probably. But not all think they need to.

Yes great idea. I'd like to nominate Bianca Wilfork as our head trainer.

This is a very ignorant comment. Bianca Wilfork has nothing to do with the situation and the idea is simply a shallow statement about her weight. She is heavy but that situation is her own with interest in it possibly resting with only her family, her husband and her doctor.

Making it manditory would be difficult.....

What they SHOULD do however is impose hefty fines against players that DONT pass the minimum standards of the physical conditioning test at the start of the season.

Dont want to keep yourself in shape year round because you dont have a guaranteed contract (even though this shows stupidity because keeping yourself in some semblence of shape keeps you from getting injuries like PF, strains, tweaks) then that is your right.....

But what is NOT your right is to be paid and work yourself into shape once you get into camp.