How good does EJ have to be?

Good solid consistent playing. 325 passing ypg. 2 to 1 TD / INT (or better) ratio and 60% passing

Good solid consistent playing. 325 passing ypg. 2 to 1 TD / INT (or better) ratio and 60% passing

Good, solid, consistant playing translates to 5200 yards for you? That is 325 yards per game...Currumba...your bar is high...

I would be happy if he breaks 3,000... that is about 190-200 yards a game... you are wanting him to put up Drew Brees kinda numbers...that isn't going to happen...this is a running team, first and foremost...

Some story lines get repeated so often they take on a life of their own, like the trade up for Sammy Watkins being a desperation move by Doug Whaley. With camp upon us the EJ story line is getting delivered over and over; how "the entire season rides on EJ," or "the Bills go only as far an EJ takes us." I have a different take.

The better the team is around EJ the less EJ has to do to win.

The other story lines are only true if EJ has to carry the Bills. But if Whaley built as deep and talented team as he thinks he has, EJ will not have to be the hero every Sunday. In fact with a solid defense and consistent running game, EJ will barely have to worry about anything.

And if the run game is effective, it will only make finding open receivers that much easier. Can EJ hit his receivers accurately? That is to be seen, but a receiver like Watkins will make EJ seem more accurate.

PTR

I disagree in the sense there is some sort of performance threshold that EJ must cross for the Bills to win consistently. I suppose the debate then centers around how high is this threshold. The bottom line is that teams who have solid QB play win more consistently. Like it or not the NFL is built around the idea that you must have an efficient passing game to win.

How high the threshold of adequate performance is somewhat goes to how strong the D is. I think everyone on this board is comfortable with the idea that the Bills D is at least good enough to keep the Bills in games (assuming Dareus gets his crap together and there is not some wave of injuries that hits especially key players on the D). Personally, I don't think the D is strong enou to consistently overcome poor play on the part of EJ.

Let's then assume EJ plays high within the third quartile of QB's. The Bills will likely be very entertaining and may win enough to sneak into the playoffs. If they do it will likely be because the Bills win the turnover battle and have a very strong ground game. If EJ plays high in the second quartile of QB's I think the Bills are a lock for the playoffs. One would have to assume if his play is at this level the running game will also churn through yardage.

If EJ plays high in the first quartile of QB's who knows where this can go. Certainly beyond the first level of the playoffs is a strong possibility.

I would guess that EJ is not likely to perform high in the first quartile. He just has not shown this ability even in flashes. Therefore realistically we must hope that he is average to well above average. How high he goes will determine the probability of this team making the playoffs for the first time in 14 years.

He just has to be good enough. Sometimes that means winning ugly. I would caution against setting a statistical barometer as the indicator for how good he has to be.

GO BILLS!!!

He needs to throw the ball farther than 3 yards on 3rd and 10.

Also, complete 1 deep out pattern this season.

Seriously though, there is a ton of room for improvement in his game. I think the #1 thing is to trust more in his ability and take chances to make some plays out there. Way way too conservative last season. You have to play to win.

Edited by kobe808lak

Protect the football, limit mistakes,make sure to stay healthy and get better on 3rd down.

If Manuel plays 16 games and can put together a 3,400 Yard 20TD/12Int season, I'd be happy. As long as his YPA was over 7.

He was actually pretty good at keeping the ball out of the opponents hands last year before the 4 interception game at Tampa.

Edited by Handsome

Good, solid, consistant playing translates to 5200 yards for you? That is 325 yards per game...Currumba...your bar is high...

I would be happy if he breaks 3,000... that is about 190-200 yards a game... you are wanting him to put up Drew Brees kinda numbers...that isn't going to happen...this is a running team, first and foremost...

I looked at last seasons passing stats and the average YPG. I could have misread the stats.

http://espn.go.com/n...am/_/stat/total

# 16 - 312 per game

I may have looked at the D stats,

http://espn.go.com/n...osition/defense

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever