Robert Kraft says...

judman

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on Kraft.

My opinion, Kraft is he is great at what he does. From the start he has setup his franchise to be solid in all facets. (Even if they cheat)

If London is in play for a franchise in 10 years, so be it. If that's the case, the NFL will have to realign... Hopefully, it's New England, Giants, Redskins and Cowgirls that have to go across the pond to play every season.

Kraft has always been a supporter of the Bills in Buffalo and Ralph Wilson. In fact, Kraft was one of the first owners to publicly come out and express his condolences when Ralph passed on.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...An NFL team belongs in London by the end of the decade. Per PFT (link).

I find it ironic that the man who owns a team called "The Patriots" thinks the NFL should expand beyond our borders. <_<

I actually like Robert Kraft as an owner but couldn't disagree with him more on this

How much is enough for the NFL? There is absolutely no need for a team in London or Toronto or any other place outside the US. Let them get DirecTv if they want to watch football

I have to say, I'm amazed at the reaction in this thread. What is so threatening about an NFL team in another country? That's a real question; I'm not trying to bash anyone. To me, it seems like it would be fun. Different cultures getting involved. New traditions emerging. New rivalries. International tournaments in other sports are often tremendous.

I understand the logistical and financial concerns. Can this really work in terms of travel? Will people in other countries be sufficiently interested? Will players want to live part time in another country (though I can imagine a whole lot of players being more interested in living in London than in one of the smaller American cities). Fair questions, but they are empirical, not moral. Either things could be worked out or they couldn't.

I just don't get where the moral outrage is coming from.

I dont have outrage. I would actually love to see it. If it works, great. If it doesnt, great too.

Actually they should send 2. One to London and one to Mexico.

Send the jags and get it over with

Send Arizona to Mexico. Done.

Let the bashing begin in 5.4.3.2.

If the NFL expands to non-US countries, what will be the effect of the CBA? Could the draft - a system in which players have their rights given to specific teams as part of a union contract - be expanded internationally while remaining compliant with US law? Let's say you are a college player drafted by the London Teacups and you don't want to go live in the UK. However, under NFL rules you are not allowed to play for another team. You sue because the CBA (that you did not agree to) requires you to leave the United States of which you are a citizen in order to obtain employment. Something does not seem quite right about that, since by moving to and playing in the UK you will be required to subject yourself to UK laws, labor agreements, taxes, etc... (Yes, teams play one game per year there now, but that is an entirely different matter not unlike being asked to travel internationally by your US-based employer).

Flip side, let's say a player is in the UK and does not like one of the CBA rules and sues the NFL in a European court. Will all of the things which the NFL is allowed to do fly in the UK? Are the same drug testing procedures even legal there? What about the handling of retirement benefits / pensions? Healthcare issues and privacy acts?

I am sure the NFL has many highly-paid lawyers looking at these issues. However, if those lawyers find danger signs... the team in UK will just not happen.

I could care less if they put a team in London, as long is it's not the Buffalo Bills.... Toronto is a different altogether from the NFL owners perspective (greed) moving the Bills to Toronto makes perfect sense. Ralph Wilson, God Bless Him, spent several years arguing with the big market teams (Jerry Jones and others) that Buffalo couldn't be competitive without revenue sharing. It comes as no surprise to me when you hear some of the big market owners (Jerry Jones and others) publicly support Jon Bon Jovi as a prospective NFL owner. IMO they still harbor resentment toward Buffalo over that issue, and it very realistically threatens our franchise today. In any other circumstance I seriously doubt Jerry Jones and others would publicly support JBJ as a wonderful family man and prospective NFL owner. Since we have been equally sharing television revenue the Bills have been profitable, and haven't always spent our salary cap money electing to let some of our best players leave via free agency. That irritates big market owners that share that money with small market teams. If a Toronto group wins the bid for the Buffalo Bills it will require 2 separate ownership votes to move our team don't be surprised if they get them.

- tell Kraft to ask NFL players if they want to play in London. One game, fine - whole season? It will be harder for them to attract free agents than Buffalo, Cleveland and Jacksonville....

Are you kidding? London is a great city. I lived there for a year when I was in my early 20's and I loved it. Given a choice between spending the season in Buffalo or London any non-WNYer with half a brain takes London in a heartbeat.