Can We Finally Admit US Foreign Policy is a Disaster?

This is not meant to be partisan or take sides in any foreign conflict, but let's consider the facts:

US INTERVENTION ...

1. Israel: $3B+ year to Israel, $200MM+ to Palestineans. The situation is going on it's 7th decade without being resolved. And it's only getting worse with teenagers kidnapped and shot on highways, and 10 year olds blown to bits by mortar fire on beaches while playing soccer.

2. Iraq: we spent over a trillion and lost thousands to bring "democracy" to this country. Soon after we leave it's dissolving into chaos.

3. Syria: we've been supporting the rebels (terrorists if they were fighting against one of our "allies") with military and political assistance. Obama just asked congress for another $500MM worth of weapons for them. The civil war has no end in sight, over a hundred thousand civilians have been killed, and millions have fled to neighboring countries and are now in refugee camps.

ISIS - the most radical of radical Islamists - is using eastern Syria (which we helped destabilize) as a home base to invade Iraq (who we supposedly stabilized) and setup an Islamic state using terrorities from Syria, Iraq and Turkey.

4. Ukraine: we didn't like the economic agreement they signed with Russia, so we support an uprising which ousted a democratically elected president. This is on Russia's border, and they react but annexing Crimea and supporting other separatist movements.

5. Korea: we fight an unresolved bloody battle in the 50's, and now 6+ decades later we maintain a presence of approx. 30,000 US troops. China keeps propping up the NKorean regime because an actual war would flood refugees into their country (last thing they want is more people), and put a strong US military presence on their border (tied for last thing they want).

COMPARES WITH NON-INTERVENTION/PERMANENT WITHDRAWAL ....

We exit Vietnam, the 2 sides north and south reconcile, the country is peaceful and they're now an active trading partner of the US.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy Raytheon stock. I suspect there will be some demand for missile and missile defense systems.

There sure are lots of people fighting around the world. Your assumption that it is our fault though is questionable, with the exception of Iraq.

We'd like to think that because we are the most powerful country that we can control others. Well, we can exert some pressure and we often get our way with reasonable people, but we don't necessarily control everyone and we can't keep parties from fighting forever if for decades they have wanted to fight.

Edited by Bob in Mich

We exit Vietnam, the 2 sides north and south reconcile, the country is peaceful and they're now an active trading partner of the US.

My hockey sticks were made in Vietnam! I laughed when I found that out.

Hey, we fixed up Japan pretty well though!

Buy Raytheon stock. I suspect there will be some demand for missile and missile defense systems.

There sure are lots of people fighting around the world. Your assumption that it is our fault though is questionable, with the exception of Iraq.

We'd like to think that because we are the most powerful country that we can control others. Well, we can exert some pressure and we often get our way with reasonable people, but we don't necessarily control everyone and we can't keep parties from fighting forever if for decades they have wanted to fight.

Thanks for the response. Agree with your point that some think there are no limits to US power and influence. I dont say it's all our fault, just that when we get materially involved we have a tendency to make things worse, which demonstrates our limits of power and influence

My hockey sticks were made in Vietnam! I laughed when I found that out.

Hey, we fixed up Japan pretty well though!

lol ... see what I mean! I bought some cotton shirts today that were MiV

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

That whole Syria-Iraq situation is really screwy. Lots of blame to go around. Who was that map maker back in the early 1900's that forced these people into nations with people they have despised for centuries?

Those 'insurgents' that we were fighting in Iraq crossed into Syria. There we armed them and called them 'freedom fighters' for opposing Assad. Then they flee back from Syria under bombing from Assad's forces and we oppose them and are seemingly preparing to fight them again in Iraq.

Geez, I miss those white hats and black hats like in the movies.

Edited by Bob in Mich

That whole Syria-Iraq situation is really screwy. Lots of blame to go around. Who was that map maker back in the early 1900's that forced these people into nations with people they have despised for centuries?

Those 'insurgents' that we were fighting in Iraq crossed into Syria. There we armed them and called them 'freedom fighters' for opposing Assad. Then they flee back into Syria under bombing from Assad's forces and we oppose them and are seemingly preparing to fight them again in Iraq.

Geez, I miss those white hats and black hats like in the movies.

Lol @ white and black hats. Good comments bob, hope to hear more from you

This is not meant to be partisan or take sides in any foreign conflict, but let's consider the facts:

US INTERVENTION ...

1. Israel: $3B+ year to Israel, $200MM+ to Palestineans. The situation is going on it's 7th decade without being resolved. And it's only getting worse with teenagers kidnapped and shot on highways, and 10 year olds gunned down on beaches while playing soccer.

2. Iraq: we spent over a trillion and lost thousands to bring "democracy" to this country. Soon after we leave it's dissolving into chaos.

3. Syria: we've been supporting the rebels (terrorists if they were fighting against one of our "allies") with military and political assistance. Obama just asked congress for another $500MM worth of weapons for them. The civil war has no end in sight, over a hundred thousand civilians have been killed, and millions have fled to neighboring countries and are now in refugee camps.

ISIS - the most radical of radical Islamists - is using eastern Syria (which we helped destabilize) as a home base to invade Iraq (who we supposedly stabilized) and setup an Islamic state using terrorities from Syria, Iraq and Turkey.

4. Ukraine: we didn't like the economic agreement they signed with Russia, so we support an uprising which ousted a democratically elected president. This is on Russia's border, and they react but annexing Crimea and supporting other separatist movements.

5. Korea: we fight an unresolved bloody battle in the 50's, and now 6+ decades later we maintain a presence of approx. 30,000 US troops. China keeps propping up the NKorean regime because an actual war would flood refugees into their country (last thing they want is more people), and put a strong US military presence on their border (tied for last thing they want).

COMPARES WITH NON-INTERVENTION/PERMANENT WITHDRAWAL ....

You can add Libya to the mix now and if you want to consider short term successes that look more questionable now add in supporting Afghanistan freedom fighters against the Russians and the operations against Mossadegh in Iran- on the other hand balkanizing nation-states and creating entities hostile to but ultimately ineffective against the US may be the actual goal of our foreign policy, ensuring robust returns for our military-industrial-governmental-financial-complex.

Or you can subscribe to the theory that most of the world is composed of local versions of Joe the six pack and the idiocy that accompanies their rule. And only US presence keeps them in check.

Then mix in the once generational quirk where the US elects their own JTSP who decides to take a prolonged vacation from the leadership role.

What do you think would happen?

Reconciliation, is that what they call it now?

Or you can subscribe to the theory that most of the world is composed of local versions of Joe the six pack and the idiocy that accompanies their rule. And only US presence keeps them in check.

Then mix in the once generational quirk where the US elects their own JTSP who decides to take a prolonged vacation from the leadership role.

What do you think would happen?

What's with this recent stoner moron invasion over here, anyway?

Reconciliation, is that what they call it now?

I just laughed when I read this earlier but there is only so much dirt to cover schit like statements so I let it go. We exited Vietnam? Our Vietnam policy should be applauded? On this alone, he's an idiot.

I just laughed when I read this earlier but there is only so much dirt to cover schit like statements so I let it go. We exited Vietnam? Our Vietnam policy should be applauded? On this alone, he's an idiot.

We did exit Vietnam. Two years later, South Vietnam imploded from within while North Vietnam invaded.

I can't really see how anyone would be stupid enough to call that "reconciliation."

We did exit Vietnam. Two years later, South Vietnam imploded from within while North Vietnam invaded.

I can't really see how anyone would be stupid enough to call that "reconciliation."

My point exactly. Exiting is a rather mild way of saying evacuating.