Favorite beer?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am definitely trying to drink less beer but for anyone who isn't, these are all fine selections (some seasonal)

Ballast Point Sculpin

Southern Tier 2XIPA + Hop Sun

Jolly Pumpkin La Roja

Left Hand Milk Stout (Nitro)

Ayinger Celebrator

Gugny and BillFan-4-Ever, you two should get together and try these!!!

Currently in the fridge...

Fiddlehead IPA

Long Trail Ale

Miller High Life

A half a growler of some IPA I bought yesterday.

The Fiddlehead is my favorite. I think it's from a local VT microbrewery.

I'll have to look out for that Fiddlehead.

I can't lie, the High Life is very drinkable and just fine on a summer's day.

My new favorite is from Epic Brewing. They bill themselves as "Utah’s first brewery since prohibition to brew exclusively high alcohol content beer." They make a fall seasonal called "Fest Devious", which is just about the best beer I've ever had.

Rubes, i always have a couple of Epics Sour Apple Saison in the fridge. Only comes in the bigger bottles, and a little pricey at$8/bottle..but if you like Saisons get one of those. Prolly even better being right there.

Another Beer from Utah i like is the Uinta Hop Notch IPA..that is very good...and also comes in cans :thumbsup:

My old hometown of Canandaigua, NY has a great craft brewery that makes some awesome beers. Naked Dove (nakeddovebrewing.com). I really like their American Brown and Windblown Amber. They don't sell bottles or cans, but a lot of local bars carry their beer and it seems to be making its way around NY. You can also get tastings and growlers at the brewery.

Edited by chknwing334

Rubes, i always have a couple of Epics Sour Apple Saison in the fridge. Only comes in the bigger bottles, and a little pricey at$8/bottle..but if you like Saisons get one of those. Prolly even better being right there.

Another Beer from Utah i like is the Uinta Hop Notch IPA..that is very good...and also comes in cans :thumbsup:

They do make great Saisons, yes. Epic started up a brewpub/restaurant a block from my house, and they sell their beer there. So now I can walk a block and pick up Epic brews on a moment's notice.

Another one I like a lot is the Czech Pilsner from Bohemian Brewery, which is in Midvale UT, only a short drive away. Good stuff -- and comes in cans.

Edited by Rubes

I see a preference to cans vs bottles... Is there an underlying fear of skunkiness or what?

As Seinfeld says "what issss the deal"

Skunk is a factor of light penetration. Light breaks down the hops and produces off flavors. Cans don't let any light in, but some people complain that cans produce a metallic flavor, which is a matter of much debate. Brown bottles let in some light but not too much. Green bottles allow more light than brown. If they aren't completely hidden from light, beer will readily turn to skunk piss in clear bottles.

Edited by Jauronimo

Skunk is a factor of light penetration. Light breaks down the hops and produces off flavors. Cans don't let any light in, but some people complain that cans produce a metallic flavor, which is a matter of much debate. Brown bottles let in some light but not too much. Green bottles allow more light than brown. If they aren't completely hidden from light, beer will readily turn to skunk piss in clear bottles.

Interesting... I always use green bottles when putting up my wine, but it also stays in the basement....

. Epic started up a brewpub/restaurant a block from my house, and they sell their beer there. So now I can walk a block and pick up Epic brews on a moment's notice.

if the food was half decent, i would have to move as i would go broke eating/drinking there every night!