I see its us having to put a middle finger to the world again

Most media went from saying Watkins was #1 on many boards to poo pooing the Bills for paying an extra first and 4th to get him. Amazing how players immediately downgrade once Buffalo takes them right? Now because Kiko is hurt, we suck again. All hope is completely lost.

That is funny because I remember people ripping taking Kiko as high as we did in the 2nd then the guy becomes all world. Now the last time I checked the same guys taking and scouting Kiko took the guys we have now. So why can't Preston Brown do the same thing? Maybe he can't but apparently again its the Bills so he must suck.

Of all the years for the Media to be kicking us, this really isn't it. Losing Ralph, Sale of the team and its future up in the air, Jim Kelly's Cancer, etc. The media can get !@#$ed for all I care and they really need to just STFU already. Let the season go how it goes and we will talk again on the back side of it.

This season is going to come down to three things. Injuries, we have been hit hard already, much more to any of our top talent and we are in deep ****. Coaching, I have complete faith in JS I feel the D will improve under him. How Brown comes along will be big for us. Lastly... EJ. You can't win in the NFL without a damn good QB. Time to step up. I honestly don't know how he is going to pan out and he is the one thing that makes me nervous about this season.

Camp starts soon thank God. I hope EJ steps up and we can get though Injury free.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Playoffs!

I read an article, I think it was that Yahoo one, which said the Bills trading up for Sammy was a bad move because the Bills are a bad team that needs more than 1 good player. They then went on to point out how we lost 2 overtime games last year (not to mention the Pats by a last second FG) and how we really could have been 8-8 or 9-7. If you are asking me, we should have beat the Chiefs too, so yea, 10-6 with a rookie starting QB that was injured half the year. Doesn't sound like a bad team to me. They went on to rank us 27th out of 32 teams. They were talking out of both sides of their mouth and it didn't make any sense. Typical media bs written by a "sports writer" who never watched any of our games, only saw the highlights and final score. But that's fine, I like being the underdog. I want the team and the fans to stay hungry. With all that has been going on with this team, how sweet would it be to stick it to these so called "experts" and make a playoff run or *gasp* win the division?

So ready for the season to start!

You might be overreacting just a little. Even during the draft there were some saying Watkins was on the top of their list, but the Bills "overpaid" for him.

The Bills have sucked for 14 years straight, which is a major accomplishment given that the NFL is designed not to let that happen. Given everything, including now Kiko out for the season and a HUGE ? at QB, there is no reason for national media to think the Bills will do anything but suck this coming season as well.

Let them talk their **** now. Then, hopefully, eat their words later.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Just yesterday Herm Edwards and Jeff Saturday were on NFL Live and when asked which young player they were most excited to watch this season Herm answered "Sammy Watkins" and Saturday agreed. They then went on to talk about what a great addition Watkins is, and that the Bills are being built to win.

So... yeah... middle finger I guess?

edit: with regard to Kiko/Brown, I have not heard one analyst say that losing a LB will sink our season. Even a very good LB like Alonso. Quite the opposite actually.

Edited by DrDareustein

edit: with regard to Kiko/Brown, I have not heard one analyst say that losing a LB will sink our season. Even a very good LB like Alonso. Quite the opposite actually.

I read somewhere that some idiot said that he had us as a "team to watch" in the AFC East but without Kiko he couldn't back that statement up anymore. He said losing Byrd and Pettine in the offseason was bad enough and then losing Kiko and he no longer saw us as a good defense that could compete with NE's offense. I lol'ed

Just yesterday Herm Edwards and Jeff Saturday were on NFL Live and when asked which young player they were most excited to watch this season Herm answered "Sammy Watkins" and Saturday agreed. They then went on to talk about what a great addition Watkins is, and that the Bills are being built to win.

So... yeah... middle finger I guess?

That's true -- Jerry Sullivan is certainly no analyst.

Expectations aren't as high outside of the fan base. The media sees a 6-10 team that lost their best DB and now a starting LB this off-season from a unit that struggled in 2013. On offense, there are some additions, but once again they're banking on youth (EJ, Watkins, Woods, Kouandjio). Not to mention they've got a new defensive scheme, the new DC, and new offensive coaches there to "assist" Hackett.

Are the Bills better than the 6-10 team they were last year? And, are the other AFC East teams better, the same, or not? Tempering expectations seems to be appropriate.

Expectations aren't as high outside of the fan base. The media sees a 6-10 team that lost their best DB and now a starting LB this off-season from a unit that struggled in 2013. On offense, there are some additions, but once again they're banking on youth (EJ, Watkins, Woods, Kouandjio). Not to mention they've got a new defensive scheme, the new DC, and new offensive coaches there to "assist" Hackett.

Are the Bills better than the 6-10 team they were last year? And, are the other AFC East teams better, the same, or not? Tempering expectations seems to be appropriate.

as one already pointed out we were just a few plays away from being a 9-7 or 10-6 team last year.

Loss to Atlanta in OT because of 2 fumbles

Loss to NE because of a dropped first down pass

Loss to Cleveland because of a QB change mod game

Loss to the Jets because Rogers was toasted more than a bagel

Loss to the Chiefs because of a QB we didn't expect to play

Being down to our 3rd QB in 2 games made all the difference in the world. If EJ stays healthy we win at least 2 more of those games. If Stevie and Chandler don't drop passes and fumble the ball away that's another 2. And if we don't have a major liability in at CB we win a 3rd.

5 games right there off the top of my head. Came down to 1 play really in each one. Care to argue that 1 stud player or healthy play from your QB won't make a difference?

as one already pointed out we were just a few plays away from being a 9-7 or 10-6 team last year.

Being down to our 3rd QB in 2 games made all the difference in the world. If EJ stays healthy we win at least 2 more of those games. If Stevie and Chandler don't drop passes and fumble the ball away that's another 2. And if we don't have a major liability in at CB we win a 3rd.

5 games right there off the top of my head. Came down to 1 play really in each one. Care to argue that 1 stud player or healthy play from your QB won't make a difference?

Woulda, could, shoulda. You could make the case a PI penalty gives them the Carolina game. Or the 5 Flacco INT's home versus BAL to get a 3 point win. Most NFL games are close and good teams win those games.

The other thing is, during the off-season they made a conscious decision to go with a rookie QB and back him up with a journeyman on his 4th team in 4 seasons, then saved a roster spot for a rookie UDFA. Depth planning at QB was horrendous last year, and when injuries happened they were short handed. Call it hindsight is 20/20, whatever, but the Bills didn't have a decent backup option at QB and I'd argue their starter wasn't prepared to start either. And why, after the 2013 UFA period which had several CB's available, did the Bills go into the season with Justin Rogers and UDFA Nickell Robey as their primary depth at the position? And that's starting McKelvin who didn't show a lot from 2008-2012.

Making bad personnel moves has an obviously direct correlation to these close games. When you make bad decisions in personnel it eventually shows up on the field. Kinda like going with Colin Brown at LG. See a pattern?

Edited by BillsVet

Were their any games the Bills Won, that they could of/should of lost if not but for a few plays?

@ BillsVet and your last post: if we accept your interpretation of what transpired last year, then going into this season the Bills added a QB coach, a highly regarded offensive assistant, upgraded several OL spots, and have continuity in three QBs who had a full season under Hackett's system. They also added playmakers in Watkins, Williams, and Brown, plus Moeaki is healthy. They are infinitely more prepared and talented (on offense) than they were going into 2013.

Defensively, the losses of Byrd and Kiko look significant, but trading Pettine for Schwartz could very well be an even swap and the players themselves have said learning a "new system" is not a big deal. The LB corps (a glaring weakness last season) have been drastically altered, even with Kiko out. The secondary looks deeper and more talented/experienced at 4 of 5 spots. Dareus won't be suspended for more than four games, and the line is fantastic.

On special teams, the whipping boy (Crossman) is still there but significant veteran additions were made to improve the talent on those units (Dixon, Graham).

How does one look at this, objectively, and not come away believing the team is (on paper) better than the one that was a whisker away from a winning record a year ago? I didn't even mention that Marrone is also no longer a rookie.

Are my comments those of a homer? I think they're pretty level-headed.

And what gets me about that KC game is it took TWO Defensive TD's to win it for them. These media types are full of ****.

Most media went from saying Watkins was #1 on many boards to poo pooing the Bills for paying an extra first and 4th to get him. Amazing how players immediately downgrade once Buffalo takes them right? Now because Kiko is hurt, we suck again. All hope is completely lost.

That is funny because I remember people ripping taking Kiko as high as we did in the 2nd then the guy becomes all world. Now the last time I checked the same guys taking and scouting Kiko took the guys we have now. So why can't Preston Brown do the same thing? Maybe he can't but apparently again its the Bills so he must suck.

Of all the years for the Media to be kicking us, this really isn't it. Losing Ralph, Sale of the team and its future up in the air, Jim Kelly's Cancer, etc. The media can get !@#$ed for all I care and they really need to just STFU already. Let the season go how it goes and we will talk again on the back side of it.

This season is going to come down to three things. Injuries, we have been hit hard already, much more to any of our top talent and we are in deep ****. Coaching, I have complete faith in JS I feel the D will improve under him. How Brown comes along will be big for us. Lastly... EJ. You can't win in the NFL without a damn good QB. Time to step up. I honestly don't know how he is going to pan out and he is the one thing that makes me nervous about this season.

Camp starts soon thank God. I hope EJ steps up and we can get though Injury free.

It's quite opposite. The media is putting the middle finger to us.

You'd think the Bills would get tired of proving all the naysayers wrong, what with all the glorious seasons and HOF caliber players they've drafted over the past 15 years.

Good point. The bills are putting the middle finger to the fans.

Speaking of the middle finger. 2 things. Both true.

I have not given anyone the finger for over 15 years. I just dont do that. It looks stupid.

I have not witnessed a driver give the finger to another driver in like 5 years or so. BUT I DID TODAY MORNING. I swear. Weird coinsidence. We were all entering the freeway. It looked childish, immature, and stupid. Anybody here feel the same way about "the finger"? Do it, dont do it?

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

Anybody here feel the same way about "the finger"? Do it, dont do it?

My girlfriend nick named both of mine. I give her the finger all the time.

Mods, sorry it was right there, couldn't resist. :bag:

This is purely a case of delusion or of people flat out choosing to live in fantasy land.

The Bills were 6-10 last year.

The Bills were not "almost" 9-7 or "almost" 10-6.

They were. 6-10. That's the record.

Trying to claim anything different is playing the "if only" and "shoulda, coulda, woulda" game.

The reality of playing the "if only" and "shoulda, coulda, woulda" can be applied to any game by any team at anytime.

Atlanta? If only the Falcons had not fumbled the ball. No overtime needed.

Patriots? They punted six times that game. If only they converted one of those third downs. No late drive and FG would have been needed.

I could produce more examples, but I think I got my point across.

Let's stop deluding ourselves into believing last years team was really a "10-6 team disguised as a 6-10 team".

Here's hoping (at the very least) they are a 6-10 team on the verge of becoming a "winning team" this year, and a playoff(+) team next year.

This is purely a case of delusion or of people flat out choosing to live in fantasy land.

The Bills were 6-10 last year.

The Bills were not "almost" 9-7 or "almost" 10-6.

They were. 6-10. That's the record.

Trying to claim anything different is playing the "if only" and "shoulda, coulda, woulda" game.

The reality of playing the "if only" and "shoulda, coulda, woulda" can be applied to any game by any team at anytime.

Atlanta? If only the Falcons had not fumbled the ball. No overtime needed.

Patriots? They punted six times that game. If only they converted one of those third downs. No late drive and FG would have been needed.

I could produce more examples, but I think I got my point across.

Let's stop deluding ourselves into believing last years team was really a "10-6 team disguised as a 6-10 team".

Here's hoping (at the very least) they are a 6-10 team on the verge of becoming a "winning team" this year, and a playoff(+) team next year.

you apparently put words I to my mouth. Of at least misinderstood me.

The whole paint was that we were close in quite a few games last year. One play could have made those games go the other way. We didn't capitalize on those opportunities at the time. Sucks. Hopefully we can find a way to take the next step next season. If we do, we are a winning football team. A case can be made that we upgraded at the WR position and Sammy could be the missing piece to take us to the next level. Nobody knows. To assume we don't make it based on our record from last year is just as crazy as assuming we will be great. Either way were both assuming.

Woulda, could, shoulda. You could make the case a PI penalty gives them the Carolina game. Or the 5 Flacco INT's home versus BAL to get a 3 point win. Most NFL games are close and good teams win those games.

The other thing is, during the off-season they made a conscious decision to go with a rookie QB and back him up with a journeyman on his 4th team in 4 seasons, then saved a roster spot for a rookie UDFA. Depth planning at QB was horrendous last year, and when injuries happened they were short handed. Call it hindsight is 20/20, whatever, but the Bills didn't have a decent backup option at QB and I'd argue their starter wasn't prepared to start either. And why, after the 2013 UFA period which had several CB's available, did the Bills go into the season with Justin Rogers and UDFA Nickell Robey as their primary depth at the position? And that's starting McKelvin who didn't show a lot from 2008-2012.

Making bad personnel moves has an obviously direct correlation to these close games. When you make bad decisions in personnel it eventually shows up on the field. Kinda like going with Colin Brown at LG. See a pattern?

fyi the plan was to have Kolb start at QB and have EJ back him up until Kolb was injured. Prove that it wasn't the case. Edited by mrags