Math question

I can appreciate you gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) making conclusory statements that 2+2 should always equal 4, but there have to be instances where the equation can equal something other than 4...I don't buy the simple explanation as you were taught in 2nd grade. Polls are not appropriate because you need to show your work...where the heck is OCinBuffalo or DCTom?? I want to see a proof.

Why do you think it wouldn't be? Please explain and show your work.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about 2 + 2, but I did have a professor in Engineering school provide proof that women are evil. It was derived like this:

I think we'd all agree that being with a women is a product of time and money (vis-a-vis, nobody that is too broke or too busy can court a women), therefore:

Women = Time x Money

And as we all know, Time IS Money, therefore:

Women = Money x Money = (Money)^2

I'm sure you've all heard that "Money is the root of evil", therefore (If Money = [Evil]^[1/2]):

Women = ([Evil]^[1/2])^2

Women = Evil

That was fantastic...can you do the same thing with, ohhhh, say Tom Brady, Uggz and a broken femur

Why do you think it wouldn't be? Please explain and show your work.

OK, let's assume you have two beers in one hand and two chicken wings in the other hand. You obviously can't eat two chicken wings while holding two beers, so you put one beer on the top of Beerball's head and another beer on the top of DC Tom's head. Now, you switch one chicken wing to the other hand and eat it, use your sleeve to wipe the sauce off your cheeks, and begin to eat the other wing. Meanwhile, Beerball is salivating because he wants to drink your beer and DC Tom is telling you to hurry your ass up because he might miss Rebecca Black on VH1...when you put your beer on Beerball and Tom's head, you didn't have possession of two items...so even though you contend to have four items, you really only retained two. Therefore, 2+2 does not equal 4...it equals 2.

there is a very serious flaw in your equation....where's the blue cheese? see...add the blue cheese and celery into the equation and it does in face = 4

That was fantastic...can you do the same thing with, ohhhh, say Tom Brady, Uggz and a broken femur

OK, let's assume you have two beers in one hand and two chicken wings in the other hand. You obviously can't eat two chicken wings while holding two beers, so you put one beer on the top of Beerball's head and another beer on the top of DC Tom's head. Now, you switch one chicken wing to the other hand and eat it, use your sleeve to wipe the sauce off your cheeks, and begin to eat the other wing. Meanwhile, Beerball is salivating because he wants to drink your beer and DC Tom is telling you to hurry your ass up because he might miss Rebecca Black on VH1...when you put your beer on Beerball and Tom's head, you didn't have possession of two items...so even though you contend to have four items, you really only retained two. Therefore, 2+2 does not equal 4...it equals 2.

What kind of beer is on my head? I do have standards you know.

PS I don't want to blow up your equation, but, it's possible that someone with less hair than I would be better as a beer table. Gugny jumps immediately to mind, but, I'm sure you'll make the proper choice.

Edited by Beerball

Beerball, DC Tom & Jauonimo in the same proximity? Bollocks!

Yeah, God help us.

They were both handcuffed to each other. (I found them that way, still not sure what they were up to)

I know what they were up to...they were trying to !@#$ up my math proof.

Are we also forgetting that we have to be sensitive to the other numbers? Some times just because the number is supposed to be a 4 doesn't mean it can't act or dress like a 5. Its not a choice. Its the way it was made.

Until we accept all numbers as equal we will forever be intollerent.

Are we also forgetting that we have to be sensitive to the other numbers? Some times just because the number is supposed to be a 4 doesn't mean it can't act or dress like a 5. Its not a choice. Its the way it was made.

Until we accept all numbers as equal we will forever be intollerent.

I see your point...kinda like Beerball and Gugny?

Now you're arguing possession. In which case I'd ask you if you ever really had them to begin with.

Now you're arguing possession. In which case I'd ask you if you ever really had them to begin with.

In my proof, YOU are the one with the beers and wings. I would never trust Beerball or DC Tom to hold my beer (let alone Gugny or Jauronimo). If you did, in fact, possess the beer and wings (i.e. they were not holographic representations of beer, etc), you can apply the Rule of Possession ("Possession is 9/10th of the law") to conclude that a saucy wing in each hand but placing a bottle of Snake Dog on Beerball's head and a bottle of Lagunitas on DC Tom's head would not equal 4...it would only equal 2 (possibly only 1 if the majority of the wing meat is in your belly).

the thing is, with DC Tom's 'diminutive' stature, if you can sneak up from behind, his peripheral vision is limited to side to side not up and down, so if you are stealthy enough, you can come from up top and land a beer or chicken wing on his head without scaring him off or being speared trying

I don't think DC Tom would allow anyone to even touch him, let alone put something on his head.

the thing is, with DC Tom's 'diminutive' stature, if you can sneak up from behind, his peripheral vision is limited to side to side not up and down, so if you are stealthy enough, you can come from up top and land a beer or chicken wing on his head without scaring him off or being speared trying

Tom claims to be well over 6' tall, but we know better.

Question for day old wings...will they heat faster and stay hot longer if microwaved vs. using the oven?

Tom claims to be well over 6' tall, but we know better.

Jack knows I'm actually 6'4". He's met me...the poor guy.

Question for day old wings...will they heat faster and stay hot longer if microwaved vs. using the oven?

They'll heat faster in the microwave, but cool down faster.

When using the standard rules for rounding to the nearest whole numbers, 2+2 does not always equal 4.

2.4(2 when rounded) + 2.4(2 when rounded) = 4.8(5 when rounded)

Therefore, 2 + 2 = 5

What the !@#$ is this wild kingdom? Oh wait....never mind.