Josh Gordon arrested for DUI

How about his agent Rosenhaus? he's the one with the most professional responsibility for this guy. Why doesnt he get him some help, or a mentor of some kind? Rosenhaus is a waste, too many in his stable go astray

Good point. Rosenhaus is too busy being these guys' buddies, apparently.

But who knows what would have worked? Gordon basically needs a full time chaperone.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But who knows what would have worked? Gordon basically needs a full time chaperone.

look at his website. It's all just bragging about what a "shark" he is, and how it's just about money. Definitely the wrong agent for a talented, but troubled, young player

http://rosenhaussports.com/

look at his website. It's all just bragging about what a "shark" he is, and how it's just about money. Definitely the wrong agent for a talented, but troubled, young player

http://rosenhaussports.com/

But which troubled player that doesn't want help is going to pick a disciplinarian as his agent?

And until he agrees to one, his agent or team don't have much power. If they cut him in January he would've been looking at a pay raise of about 1000% until his latest suspension hit. The team had little to no threat for a guy making a few hundred thousand on a rookie deal playing lights out beyond "eventually it'll catch up to you, please stop before it does"

Bench/suspend him? He sat 4 games less then a year ago and is facing another next year already.

Cut him? Even today he'd see a pay raise.

All you can do is offer help and hope he takes it. And if he doesn't, extract as much value as you can via trade or riding him into the ground on the field without committing more resources. Likewise his agent can just try to get him paid before he screws up or in spite of it. Can't force him to change though.

Edited by NoSaint

Fair enough - if I'm going to be specific I should get it right, so I appreciate the nits getting picked

I remember because I took a risk and drafted Gordon and Blackmon last season, one worked out great while the other not so much although he had a couple good games before getting sat for the season. Crazy to think both won't play this season or maybe ever again.

But which troubled player that doesn't want help is going to pick a disciplinarian as his agent?

And until he agrees to one, his agent or team don't have much power. If they cut him in January he would've been looking at a pay raise of about 1000% until his latest suspension hit. The team had little to no threat for a guy making a few hundred thousand on a rookie deal playing lights out beyond "eventually it'll catch up to you, please stop before it does"

Bench/suspend him? He sat 4 games less then a year ago and is facing another next year already.

Cut him? Even today he'd see a pay raise.

All you can do is offer help and hope he takes it. And if he doesn't, extract as much value as you can via trade or riding him into the ground on the field without committing more resources. Likewise his agent can just try to get him paid before he screws up or in spite of it. Can't force him to change though.

The criticism is of rosenhaus as an irresponsible agent, not the logic of someone choosing him. Its no secret Gordon is very young and he has issues. Rosenhaus needs to get this guy support of some kind. Help straight him out. Get him out of harms way and around some better influences. Its not hard, its just a matter of making it a priority. People can and do change all the time with the right kind of support. Rosenhaus with his "I'm a shark and I rip things up where ever I go" is just encouraging bad behavior.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The criticism is of rosenhaus as an irresponsible agent, not the logic of someone choosing him. Its no secret Gordon is very young and he has issues. Rosenhaus needs to get this guy support of some kind. Help straight him out. Get him out of harms way and around some better influences. Its not hard, its just a matter of making it a priority. People can and do change all the time with the right kind of support. Rosenhaus with his "I'm a shark and I rip things up where ever I go" is just encouraging bad behavior.

Go walk into your local rehab or AA meeting or jail and start fixing people if that's all it takes.

You better believe rosenhaus wants his guys on the field and not in jail. Gordon has lost rosenhaus millions this offseason.

You can't force Gordon to not screw his life up if he's determined. Plenty of determined people out there with people that love them and would give their world to help them have shown it.

Edited by NoSaint

Will be interesting to see how Pettine handles this. Gordon was going to OTAs but was reportedly noticeably lazy and not working hard. That on top of the drug suspensions and now this. It was brought up to Pettine in an interview and he admitted that his work habits were an issue in itself. I wonder if they cut him or hang onto him. I can see both sides.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Will be interesting to see how Pettine handles this. Gordon was going to OTAs but was reportedly noticeably lazy and not working hard. That on top of the drug suspensions and now this. It was brought up to Pettine in an interview and he admitted that his work habits were an issue in itself. I wonder if they cut him or hang onto him. I can see both sides.

Or more interesting - finding out if pettine is empowered here? Or even their GM?

Pettine might learn fast why others said "no thanks"

I certainly hope for his sake he voluntarily goes to rehab and stays locked up there until he is really clean. His behavior doesn't indicate as simply a knucklehead, but having a substance abuse issue. If it would help, Chris Carter should sit down and talk with him. He came back after abusing alcohol losing his job at Philly to have a HOF career.

The kid has so much talent. He sealed his fate for a definite full year of suspension.

I certainly hope for his sake he voluntarily goes to rehab and stays locked up there until he is really clean. His behavior doesn't indicate as simply a knucklehead, but having a substance abuse issue. If it would help, Chris Carter should sit down and talk with him. He came back after abusing alcohol losing his job at Philly to have a HOF career.

The kid has so much talent. He sealed his fate for a definite full year of suspension.

I don't disagree with your assessment, but you have to seek help at some point to get it. You have to admit your powerlessness over the situation.

Gordon isn't doing that. Instead, he is putting at risk the lives of anyone on the road - mothers, fathers, children, grandparents, himself. And this is not the first time.

you can't fix stupid but... .09?1? It may be over the legal limit but it's hardly intoxicated. 20,000 cars pour out every stadium every game day higher than .09. Heck, I am .09 after my first cup of coffee every morning.

And suspensions for weed is ridiculous while nothing in place to even test HGH. As long as the illegal drugs make the players bigger and faster let's look the other way. But recreational marijuana costs four games and then a year?

Again, you can't fix stupid but stupid starts at the top with Roger, the owners and the NFLPA.

you can't fix stupid but... .09?1? It may be over the legal limit but it's hardly intoxicated. 20,000 cars pour out every stadium every game day higher than .09. Heck, I am .09 after my first cup of coffee every morning.

And suspensions for weed is ridiculous while nothing in place to even test HGH. As long as the illegal drugs make the players bigger and faster let's look the other way. But recreational marijuana costs four games and then a year?

Again, you can't fix stupid but stupid starts at the top with Roger, the owners and the NFLPA.

I agree with everything you said. Problem is, I could potentially see 10 players on any given roster testing positive for HGH. And like you said, the league doesn't want that. Which is likely the reason they won't test for it.

Or more interesting - finding out if pettine is empowered here? Or even their GM?

Pettine might learn fast why others said "no thanks"

Yep we will see who makes the team statement too. With the Dareus situation I think only Marrone spoke about it and Whaley and Brandon were silent. My guess is they won't cut Gordon. Too young and talented. Blackmon hasn't been been cut yet by the Jags and similar situation.