UF duo designing a better helmet to curb head injuries

"The inspiration came from watching the illegal street-racing flick "2 Fast 2 Furious," Peters said. In one scene, a car crashes into a barrier of water-filled canisters. The water explodes out of the canisters, dissipating the energy from the impact."

coincidentally, the fast and the furious: tokyo drift inspired steve jobs to create the iphone.

Edited by Dirtbag

If the ever perfect the helmet, i predict we will begin seeing more neck and spine injuries...

That was going to be my question to float out - does protecting the head end up making guys more likely to put it where it doesn't belong causing other issues?

That was going to be my question to float out - does protecting the head end up making guys more likely to put it where it doesn't belong causing other issues?

As mentioned in the article it is the torque created from glancing blows that can create serious neck injuries.

I'm no engineer or doctor but I would assume the only way to prevent this would be to have a helmet that is directly attached to the shoulder pads.

While I agree that some players may become even more reckless because of the added head protection, the added shock absorbtion would still reduce neck injury IMO.

In combination with league rule changes focused on reducing head injuries the better helmet could help preserve the game of football we have all come to know and love.

In earlier discussions here on TBD I've mentioned possible ways to help protect the neck by using 3 flexible shock absorbers that are connected on both sides and the back of the helmet to the shoulder pads in 3 places. Doing this without restricting head movement is the hard part.

Note: The outer hard shell of typical helmets used as protective gear needs to be modified to have the same shock absorbtion as the inner helmet to get the best results IMO. (Put the hard shell in between new shock absorbtion technology perhaps)

Edited by Donald Duck

Anybody here read about head injuries and homelessness? http://www.scienceda...40425104714.htm

interesting stuff, makes you wonder about what this sport could actually be doing to the brain. Also have to consider how people not in the sport, might just get effed over in life once and that's it. Sad.

Studies like this are a waste of time IMO...

What is the correlation between homeless and head injury going to tell us? what will it accomplish?

Perhaps a better helmet? Why do you think that anyone cares about making a better helmet today? Certainly money, but the publicity that has been raised by looking into the lives of former players is the reason that the NFL cares one iota about player safety.

Studies like this are a waste of time IMO...

Dog, can you please elaborate? On behalf of the well over 50% of the well over 1,000,000,000 homeless people in our country who suffer from mental illness, I am interested to know why you find studies on football helmets a more valuable use of time. Thanks.

Perhaps a better helmet? Why do you think that anyone cares about making a better helmet today? Certainly money, but the publicity that has been raised by looking into the lives of former players is the reason that the NFL cares one iota about player safety.

Public awareness, hmmm

good points, thanks

Edited by Donald Duck

Dog, can you please elaborate? On behalf of the well over 50% of the well over 1,000,000,000 homeless people in our country who suffer from mental illness, I am interested to know why you find studies on football helmets a more valuable use of time. Thanks.

Honestly Gu,

Focusing on the solution, which would be better head protection, then testing/ applying it in one of the places we see a high number of head injuries occuring (NFL) seems like the most logical approach to tackle the problem, head on so to speak IMO.

Note: It does not surprise me lower or no income equates to more injury/and or illness in general (IMO)

Edited by Donald Duck

Gugs... I think you beat the crap out of "well over"

Hope it had a helmet on...

Interesting! like a baffled waterbed. could help a player stay warm or cool to.

I'm curious how they are going to counteract environmental variables. These gel bags probably have varying refill times due to change in temperature and viscosity.