UF duo designing a better helmet to curb head injuries

I'm curious how they are going to counteract environmental variables. These gel bags probably have varying refill times due to change in temperature and viscosity.

Good point :thumbsup:

It's possible you might be able to design the helmet to have a fitted chamber or net surrounding the head that round gel packs could be poured into so when it comes time to replace pour the old ones out and the new ones in.

Edited by Donald Duck

They have had fluid filled helmets out for a while. The air chambers are more popular but have since gone the way of a gel pack.

These helmets are that futuristic.

Schutt has a great helmet and it's very comfortable.

schutt-football-ion-4d-helmet-surefit-air-liners-.jpg

These are a lot better then the old blue tube crown types most of us probably wore and still wear.

If you played football at all as a kid, the next time you're at a sporting goods store go look at the helmets out there now-a-days. They're amazing.

They have had fluid filled helmets out for a while. The air chambers are more popular but have since gone the way of a gel pack.

These helmets are that futuristic.

Schutt has a great helmet and it's very comfortable.

schutt-football-ion-4d-helmet-surefit-air-liners-.jpg

These are a lot better then the old blue tube crown types most of us probably wore and still wear.

If you played football at all as a kid, the next time you're at a sporting goods store go look at the helmets out there now-a-days. They're amazing.

they?

they?

I don't know what companies are out there, but I have seen both gel filled (that was fluid like) and water filled bonets and liners.

Schutt and Riddell and Xenith are popular helmets I know of, but I am not hip on helmet culture.

As mentioned in the article it is the torque created from glancing blows that can create serious neck injuries.

I'm no engineer or doctor but I would assume the only way to prevent this would be to have a helmet that is directly attached to the shoulder pads.

There is another way to reduce torque/rotational forces. A helmet should have two layers: a hard outer shell and an inner layer. When some rotational force is applied to the outer layer, it will rotate along with the force. But the inner layer does not rotate. As a result, the rotational force isn't transmitted from the outer layer to the inner layer. Or at worst, it gets transmitted but largely dissipated.

There is another way to reduce torque/rotational forces. A helmet should have two layers: a hard outer shell and an inner layer. When some rotational force is applied to the outer layer, it will rotate along with the force. But the inner layer does not rotate. As a result, the rotational force isn't transmitted from the outer layer to the inner layer. Or at worst, it gets transmitted but largely dissipated.

Reduced friction/cohesion/duration of impact, which in turn reduces torque.

It's a good point and should be designed into the new helmets to help protect from neck injury IMO. :thumbsup:

Note: I would like to see shock absorbtion added to the exterior of the helmet, hard shell in the middle, it might be possible to use round gel balls mounted to spin freely on the exterior and accomplish both applications. By doing so with smaller, freely rotating balls, even the torque created from more of a head on collision would be reduced IMO.

Edited by Donald Duck

On behalf of the well over 50% of the well over 1,000,000,000 homeless people in our country who suffer from mental illness, I am interested to know why you find studies on football helmets a more valuable use of time. Thanks.

you have too many zeros I believe...population of the US is only about 320,000,000 currently...