July Movies: Apes, Sex Tape, Lucy, & Hercules....

With the fourth Transformers movie eating up box office cash, the month of July rolls in with a rather unimpressive overall offerings. As Disney & Marvel prepare to unleash their next big potential franchise, "Guardians of the Galaxy", in August, other studios will attempt to keep moviegoers satisfied until then. While this month is low on excitement, the lack of sequels will give audiences more fresh titles to choose from. Still the most anticipated movie of the month is a sequel.

20th Century Fox releases "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes". A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species. 2011's "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" proved that this franchise still has a following, as critical and audience approval was strong. While the cast is mostly new, premise should be enough to bring fans back again for this installment. Starring Gary Oldman, Keri Russell, Kodi Smit-McPhee & Andy Serkis.

Cameron Diaz & Jason Segel star in "Sex Tape". A married couple wake up to discover that the sex tape they made the evening before has gone missing, leading to a frantic search for its whereabouts. For those thirsting for "R" rated laughs, this movie should provide plenty. Diaz is on fire after the success of "The Other Woman" and Segel will add more male appeal to this film.

Scarlett Johansson is, "Lucy". A woman, accidentally caught in a dark deal, turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic. Luc Besson directs this stylish sci-fi/action film, and co-stars Morgan Freeman.

Dwayne Johnson is, "Hercules". Yes, you read that right. Having endured his legendary twelve labors, Hercules, the Greek demigod, has his life as a sword-for-hire tested when the King of Thrace and his daughter seek his aid in defeating a tyrannical warlord. Also starring John Hurt, Ian McShane & Joseph Fiennes.

Melissa McCarthy is, "Tammy". After losing her job and learning that her husband has been unfaithful, a woman hits the road with her profane, hard-drinking grandmother. Also starring Kathy Bates, Susan Sarandon & Allison Janney.

From Disney comes, "Planes: Fire & Rescue". When world-famous air racer Dusty learns that his engine is damaged and he may never race again, he must shift gears and is launched into the world of aerial firefighting. Starring the voices of Dane Cook, Julie Bowen, Patrick Warburton & Ed Harris.

In "Earth To Echo", After receiving a bizarre series of encrypted messages, a group of kids embark on an adventure with an alien who needs their help. Starring Teo Halm, Astro, Reese Hartwig & Ella Wahlestedt.

In "Deliver Us From Evil", NY police officer Ralph Sarchie investigates a series of crimes. He joins forces with an unconventional priest, schooled in the rituals of exorcism, to combat the possessions that are terrorizing their city. Starring Eric Bana, Edgar Ramirez, Olivia Munn & Chris Coy.

In "The Purge: Anarchy", A young couple works to survive on the streets after their car breaks down right as the annual purge commences. Starring Kiele Sanchez, Frank Grillo, Zach Gilford & Amy Paffrath.

"America", is a story that imagines that the United States lost the Revolutionary War and therefore never existed. Starring Russel W. Reed, John Koopman, Tina Fortune & Casey Allen.

In "The Fluffy Movie", A comedy concert film that captures the on-stage performance and inspirational success story of Gabriel "Fluffy" Iglesias.

Finally Michael Douglas & Diane Keaton star in, "And So It Goes". A self-centered realtor enlists the help of his neighbor when he's suddenly left in charge of the granddaughter he never knew existed until his estranged son drops her off at his home.

Calendar with Trailers.

7/2

"Tammy": http://tammymovie.com/

"Deliver Us From Evil": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi426879513/

"Earth To Echo": http://callhimecho.com/

"America": http://www.americathemovie.com/

7/11

"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes": http://www.dawnofapes.com/

7/18

"Sex Tape": http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/sextape/

"The Purge: Anarchy": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4827673/

"Planes: Fire & Rescue": http://movies.disney.com/planes-fire-and-rescue

"And So It Goes": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi757574937/

7/25

"Hercules": http://www.mightyhercules.com/

"Lucy": http://www.lucymovie.com/

"The Fluffy Movie": http://fluffyguy.com/

That's all for now. I will post the Independent Films later, until then.....Enjoy!

Why didn't they just tell the tale of the 12 labors!?

Wish they would. Usually, it's because of some copyright screwiness where you can use the characters but not the story. Same reason you get asinine **** like "Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters."

I'm actually looking forward to "Lucy." Looks like a decent concept, and Luc Besson generally makes watchable movies. (Sadly, that's the kind of risk analysis you have to make these days, when the movie-going experience runs upwards of $50 for two people).

I'm actually looking forward to "Lucy." Looks like a decent concept, and Luc Besson generally makes watchable movies. (Sadly, that's the kind of risk analysis you have to make these days, when the movie-going experience runs upwards of $50 for two people).

And Scarlett Johansson can be OK to look at sometimes. I actually saw a preview of this flick recently and also thought it would be cool to see.

Tammy = Tyler perry meets Larry the cable guy

If that's not enough reason to avoid the movie, then I don't know what is.

Lots of intrigue in this thread for "Lucy". I know it's mostly because of Scarlett, but Luc Besson does have a very certain style to get people interested in his films.

Am I the only one here that is looking forward to "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes"? I think that movie will be awesome.

If that's not enough reason to avoid the movie, then I don't know what is.

Lots of intrigue in this thread for "Lucy". I know it's mostly because of Scarlett, but Luc Besson does have a very certain style to get people interested in his films.

Am I the only one here that is looking forward to "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes"? I think that movie will be awesome.

I'm looking forward to "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" as well. I liked the first installment.

"Lucy" is one I'm looking forward to as well. The concept seems similar to the movie "Limitless" but just darker. Could be wrong though because I only saw the previews for that.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Melissa McCarthy is awful and not funny and basically Jim Carrey before be played the same character every time. Plus she is fat and not attractive. No thank you.

I've never found McCarthy to be all that funny either.

I can't bring myself to rain on my wife's love of her. It's one of the few things I let her have. So, I will be watching this movie.

Good for you.

Are you at least getting anything in return?

I can't bring myself to rain on my wife's love of her. It's one of the few things I let her have. So, I will be watching this movie.

the big kitty.

kitty is not what i typed, for the record.

Edited by jboyst62

It's kind of odd. I enjoyed the first one a lot and I expect this one to be pretty good too. But for some strange reason, I'm not feeling much of a draw to this one.

Haven't heard of "America" till now, but looks interesting.

Yeah that movie has come out of nowhere.

I'll try America -- I love scenarios like that.

Save your money, I went and saw it today. It's a purely political movie (anti-democrat, anti-Obama) by the same guy that made 2016. It never delves into the "alternate history" aspects that the trailer makes you think it would. Even the narrative in the first five minutes (for example "What if Germany had a nuclear bomb first") is never mentioned again in the entire movie. I wanted to walk out in the first 15 minutes that's how bad it was.

Save your money, I went and saw it today. It's a purely political movie (anti-democrat, anti-Obama) by the same guy that made 2016. It never delves into the "alternate history" aspects that the trailer makes you think it would. Even the narrative in the first five minutes (for example "What if Germany had a nuclear bomb first") is never mentioned again in the entire movie. I wanted to walk out in the first 15 minutes that's how bad it was.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Although I can understand your disappointment. The alternate history aspect sounds interesting, too bad it does not fully explore that idea.

The alternate history aspect sounds interesting, too bad it does not fully explore that idea.

It doesn't even partially explore the alternate history aspect. I'm still pissed off I spent money on it.

Found this review online from Peter Sobczynski, he explains it better than I could....

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/america-2014

D'Souza has returned with "America," a movie that arrives on the heels of an ad campaign that suggests that it will be a bit of speculative fiction examining what the world might be like if George Washington had been felled by a British bullet during the Battle of Brandywine (on September 11, 1777, for those of you playing at home) and, as a result, the Revolutionary War had been lost and the United States of America had never existed. However, anyone turning up at the multiplex in order to see what promises at first to be a blend of "It's a Wonderful Life," the immortal anti-Communist short "Red Nightmare" and an evening of the History Channel will be outraged to discover that, following a brief prologue, the film completely abandons that promised conceit and never returns to it. If it is any comfort to those viewers, it is that they will soon be sharing their outrage with anyone who turned up in the hope of witnessing cohesive thinking or rudimentary filmmaking skills.

It doesn't even partially explore the alternate history aspect. I'm still pissed off I spent money on it.

Found this review online from Peter Sobczynski, he explains it better than I could....

http://www.rogereber...ws/america-2014

Sounds like an awful movie.

And Sobczynski sounds spiteful. The tone of that review seems less "this is a bad film" and more "the filmmaker is picking on people like me!"

Sounds like an awful movie.

And Sobczynski sounds spiteful. The tone of that review seems less "this is a bad film" and more "the filmmaker is picking on people like me!"

Yeah that's what I got from his "review". That's what you usually get with political movies such as this. All critics have agendas with this type of movie, so you have to throw reviews out the window with a movie like this.

It is a shame that this movie is not purported to be as it was sold. Even if it was promoted as a conservative political movie, I don't think that Sobczynski would have shown any less fervor.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes". Absolutely loved it!

I know it's all CGI, but Andy Serkis is amazing. Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell & Kodi Smit-McPhee are fine in their respective roles, and an equally good performance by Toby Kebbell as Koba.

Great blend of action, drama & tension makes this story of survival excel. This is one of the best movies of the summer, probably one of the best of the year. It'll be tough to top this movie with another sequel already planned, but it'll be fun to watch.

People are going to have to start taking notice of director Matt Reeves, he did a great job with this one.

Finally saw "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes". Absolutely loved it!

I know it's all CGI, but Andy Serkis is amazing. Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell & Kodi Smit-McPhee are fine in their respective roles, and an equally good performance by Toby Kebbell as Koba.

Great blend of action, drama & tension makes this story of survival excel. This is one of the best movies of the summer, probably one of the best of the year. It'll be tough to top this movie with another sequel already planned, but it'll be fun to watch.

People are going to have to start taking notice of director Matt Reeves, he did a great job with this one.

Apes is good, slow paced for a while but provocative. Fight scenes near the end with the slow build up give it an epic feel. Some insights on how conflicts between peoples happen, and remedies to end them. Particularly relevant given the situation in Israel and Gaza. Along with Godzilla, this season has treated us to a pair of quality sci-fi flicks

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Apes is good, slow paced for a while but provocative. Fight scenes near the end with the slow build up give it an epic feel. Some insights on how conflicts between peoples happen, and remedies to end them. Particularly relevant given the situation in Israel and Gaza. Along with Godzilla, this season has treated us to a pair of quality sci-fi flicks

The build up was great. The opening scene is done very well as they go from the mass destruction of Earth to the forest of the apes.

Agree on this and "Godzilla" and also "X-Men: Days of Future Past", on giving us some top entertainment this summer. Bring on "Guardians of the Galaxy".

Edited by Mark Vader

The build up was great. The opening scene is done very well as they from the mass destruction of Earth to the forest of the apes.

Agree on this and "Godzilla" and also "X-Men: Days of Future Past", on giving us some top entertainment this summer. Bring on "Guardians of the Galaxy".

Where's Prometheus II, that's what I want. If they remove the Hollywood fluff it could be even better than the first.

Where's Prometheus II, that's what I want. If they remove the Hollywood fluff it could be even better than the first.

That is in pre-production, and a long ways off. Right now it is scheduled for March 2016.

Ridley Scott will produce, but so far that's it. No director has signed on, but Michael Fassbender & Noomi Rapace will reprise their roles.

This is a big risk sequel, which is probably why 20th Century Fox is not releasing it in the summer. "Prometheus", while generally liked, had plenty of detractors. Some Alien fans downright hated it. We shall see how it goes.

The build up was great. The opening scene is done very well as they from the mass destruction of Earth to the forest of the apes.

is it my imagination, or is Hollywood getting marginally better? Ive been pretty much anti-hollywood for years due to the typical "shoot em up, canned script, forced happy ending" take no risk formula that predominates. But the last few Ive seen Ive been pleasantly surprised.

is it my imagination, or is Hollywood getting marginally better? Ive been pretty much anti-hollywood for years due to the typical "shoot em up, canned script, forced happy ending" take no risk formula that predominates. But the last few Ive seen Ive been pleasantly surprised.

I've always been of the mind that Hollywood has been fine all along. Yes there is a lot of crap out there, but there is also good stuff as well.

Let's face it there are lots more movies being made these days than ever before, and the bad ones are always going to outweigh the good ones.

Some people believe that the only good movies you are going to get are the independent films, but I disagree.

Look at this year so far: "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", "Godzilla", "X-Men: Days of Future Past", & "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes", all got considerably high marks from both critics and audiences alike.

I think that what you are seeing is that studios are getting great talent to be a part of these movies. From writers to directors to actors, etc.

I hope that this trend continues. Personally I am very encouraged at what the future of the Star Wars franchise holds. The directors that are being chosen are all quality choices.

It's also a state of mind that a moviegoer has to be in, in order to like a movie. If you go in with an attitude, then you are probably not going to like it. We have to remember that this is entertainment, if you want the meaning of life, then go take classes on the subject at a university.

There is good stuff to see from Hollywood, you just have to find it.

I like apes. I thought the first one was better but this one was still good. At first, the cgi apes seemed a bit too fake to me (or maybe it was that bear), but it was amazing how a good movie made me completely forget about that after a few scenes.

Cameron Diaz & Jason Segel star in "Sex Tape". A married couple wake up to discover that the sex tape they made the evening before has gone missing, leading to a frantic search for its whereabouts. For those thirsting for "R" rated laughs, this movie should provide plenty. Diaz is on fire after the success of "The Other Woman" and Segel will add more male appeal to this film.

Another Cameron Diaz movie getting panned by the the critics - no surprise there

One thing that a NYC reviewer picked up on: Cameron Diaz is 42, Jason Segel is 34. The plot includes the fact that they met in college (and a CGI scene in the movie shows this).

If Cameron Diaz were a 20-year-old college student, then Jason Segel would have been 12.

:lol: