Hamilton Ont.

zazie

I would support a Hamilton team, it is close enough, and yet also close enough to bring the Toronto crowd and Toronto corporate money in.

You can arrive in Hamilton (if no hassles at the bridge, where they are getting very intense these days, almost as if they are doing important work....) in less than an hour or so.

F%$# NO!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, good point. Maybe if we lose the Bills to Canada, we can get a CFL team and finally get Tebow here to bring home a Championship (Ouch, did I just say that?)

Only if we can call the team either Rough Riders or Roughrighders. Otherwise what's even the point of having a CFL team?

LOL, good point. Maybe if we lose the Bills to Canada, we can get a CFL team and finally get Tebow here to bring home a Championship (Ouch, did I just say that?)

Hypothetically, if this did happen, and they kept the team uniforms, logo, and name the same, would you support these "Bills?"

How'd they do that? Don't they have traffic and parking problems there?

Funny you mention that. They basically built this stadium where the old Ivor Wynne stadium was, which is smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood. I went to a Ti-Cats game a few years back. It felt like I was going to the original Old Rockpile on Best St.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That's a really interesting point. I knew about the special 501c6 nonprofit status as a "trade federation" or whatever, but didn't even think about the implications of a member franchise being international. Do any of the other leagues (all with teams in Canada) have a similar status?

As best as I can tell, IRC501c6 was amended at the time of the AFL-NFL merger (1966) to include "professional football leagues" due to concerns about the merger being challenged under the Clayton Anti-trust Act (or the Federal Trade Commissions Act). No other league has this status. And, IMHO, it is pretty shady by today's political standards. I'd have to think some congressman trying to make a name for himself would write a bill to challenge this exemption if a team moves to Canada (although they might well do so even if that doesn't happen).

...and if we moved to Canada we'd have to start drafting guys with names like Gord and Stu!

I would support a Hamilton team, it is close enough, and yet also close enough to bring the Toronto crowd and Toronto corporate money in.

You can arrive in Hamilton (if no hassles at the bridge, where they are getting very intense these days, almost as if they are doing important work....) in less than an hour or so.

NO, it needs to be in WNY and they can come across like normal.

There is a 0% chance the city of Hamilton would even allow an NFL team there then. An NFL team would be the death of the CFL.

This is true. If Toronto is taken out of the CFL (Hamilton is close enough), it has little interest and becomes the minor league football league in Canada. The other small cities would not like that. It is not going to happen.

The Canadiens are aholes, so I guess my response would be I would never go see the bills play a game in Canada even if it was right across the peace bridge in Fort Erie.

Well, that statement is just not true. You may not go to games, that part may be true.

Only if we can call the team either Rough Riders or Roughrighders. Otherwise what's even the point of having a CFL team?

That is sooo funny because of the truth of the situation!