What are the true structural deficiencies of Ralph Wilson Stadium?

This is what we need:

The team (Jacksonville Jaguars) has taken out 9,500 seats in the north end zone and is replacing them with a two-level party deck that includes two pools and 16 cabanas complete with plush furniture.

I have said this before, as part of the renovation of the stadium two glassed in areas could be built with amenities like the Jaguars are doing. Nice seats, food and drink included. Nice video screens, wifi etc. PSL could be sold for the new area. Those that want a more modern "civilized" game day experience could be out of the elements and still share a different game day experience with other kindred souls. The Bills do not need over 70,000 seats, so the loss of seats could be more than made up in the premium upscale seat income. The way the Jaguars are doing it. Obviously the theme would not be summer beach activities like the Jags, but a different unique "Buffalo" version.

It is no longer how many seats can you pack in a stadium, but how much income per game attendee can you generate. More seats no longer = more profit. And of course how much income you can make that you don't have to share with the other teams.

Edited by simpleman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact:

In Orlando, in addition to rebuilding 80% of the 65,000 seat Citrus Bowl for now $207 Million, and no team that plays there week in and week out, we now have lost effective yesterday Capital One as The Bowl sponsor for the January 1 Game.

Just up the street a mile from there, the city of Orlando is building a new Professional Soccer Stadium to the tune of $110 Million For the Orlando City Lions set to open in 2016.

All of the 20,000 seats are covered, and the cement Lion Mascot that you pass by when you enter the Stadium, rotates at GAMETIME and faces the field. If it ate a player from the other team, it would be way cooler.

Maybe Buffalo could do the same thing with 2 snorting cement Bison, who snort when the Bills score, or they could just chase after Tom Brady with them.

Edited by oman128

The Ralph is in a great spot, there are few places in the NFL, where if you live in downtown or the suburbs you can be home by half time for the 4:00pm game.

In New England it is a 4 hour commitment just to get out of the neighborhood.

I have said this before, as part of the renovation of the stadium two glassed in areas could be built with amenities like the Jaguars are doing. Nice seats, food and drink included. Nice video screens, wifi etc. PSL could be sold for the new area. Those that want a more modern "civilized" game day experience could be out of the elements and still share a different game day experience with other kindred souls. The Bills do not need over 70,000 seats, so the loss of seats could be more than made up in the premium upscale seat income. The way the Jaguars are doing it. Obviously the theme would not be summer beach activities like the Jags, but a different unique "Buffalo" version.

It is no longer how many seats can you pack in a stadium, but how much income per game attendee can you generate. More seats no longer = more profit. And of course how much income you can make that you don't have to share with the other teams.

Isn't that what the tunnel end zone suites are like? That nobody seems to like.

The way the Jaguars are doing it. Obviously the theme would not be summer beach activities like the Jags, but a different unique "Buffalo" version.

What kind of Buffalo themes can we have?

Snowbank - Build a large mound of snow (artificially created when necessary) and put seats in it. Maybe run a ski lift to get fans on top. Would replace a whole section.

Orchard Park Falls - build an artificial waterfall in part of the stadium, falling from an upper deck. Sell the top of the falls seats for a premium and make the "Splash Zone" seats below cheap. It would certainly be a distinctive look, would give the TV something to show right before or after the real Niagara Falls shot, and probably has some advertising or product placement potential.

Windmill - rip out a block of seats and mount a giant windmill on one end of the stadium. Just like the lakeshore, keeps the stadium "green".

Bass Pro Coming soon sign - Self explanatory.

Any other ideas?

Maybe a President McKinley monument?

It's easy to mock the efforts of the Jags to turn poor seats that don't sell into an area that generates a profit for the team. They are at least trying instead of going for the cheap laugh. It is tougher to actually contribute a positive idea on how to make the Bills a more profitable team.

For those who have the cash, the experience at Everbank Field in the revamped north end zone for a Jags game will be very unique, and should be quite enjoyable.

Definitely agree that something similar at the Ralph would be worthwhile.

In the press conference by Polancarz the day after Ralph died, he said the "bones of the stadium" are solid or something to that effect. I find it hard to believe that a 52 year old stadium is going to fall down if it's not replaced. And obviously the stadium as is is good enough for the Bills to turn a profit.

The need for a new stadium is dictated by Roger Goodell wanting every city to have shiny new stadiums every 25 yeas or so. It's based on profit and power. Getting tax payers to fund his operation. Seems like such a waste.

For those wanting a dome, have you ever been to a game in a dome? I have. It's gross.

How long do you think concrete lasts in a place with extreme weather ranges of warm and freezing? You probably don't think bridges need to be replaced either?

And yes I've been to domes in cold cities and thanked god I was inside.

How long do you think concrete lasts in a place with extreme weather ranges of warm and freezing? You probably don't think bridges need to be replaced either?

I'm not an engineer, but I think comparing concrete stress in a stadium that is only filled 8 times a year, and is not even used in the times of weather extremes is not a valid comparison to a bridge subject to constant regular violent vibrations in the winter and summer by heavy cargo trucks and cars and is drenched in salt during the winter.

you and I usually get along PTR so I'm just trying to provide an argument but last summer when I was on a trip around the grain mills they informed is that the concrete in many of them is either at or close to being at their middle life and they are stronger now than they've ever been.

Just the information the tour company have us. I'm going to trust them because they seemed pretty knowledgable about the whole thing.

Isn't that what the tunnel end zone suites are like? That nobody seems to like.

Yep, here's one description of them...

http://www.billsseatingchart.com/buffalo-bills-m-t-bank-club

Yep, here's one description of them...

http://www.billsseat...s-m-t-bank-club

Thanks for the link, maybe they are not popular because they are $320 with absolutely no discounts under any conditions (pre season, unpopular games). Maybe enclosed seating with a price somewhere between the most expensive seats like these and regular seating prices with a few less frills might be more popular with the right marketing. Somewhere that sweet spot exists where (upscale, not rich) fans will pay for the amenities provided. The goal of the team should be to find the right combinations of amenities and price somewhere between the cheap seats and the absolute highest price seats. Of course it doesn't help that the view of the field sucks from there as well.

Does anyone know of any open air stadiums that have enclosed areas for upscale but not rich fans that are actually popular with fans?

Edited by simpleman

So a lot of people have opined that the lower bowl would be fine and the upper decks and narrow concourses would need to be rebuilt. Also, with the limited construction time the team has between seasons, I am guessing those could not be rebuilt over one off season? If so, could one side be completed at a time in between two seasons?

As the prevailing opinion is that a new stadium is the likely out come this is probably more academic but just curious after looking at the aerial shots of the renovation currently taking place.