Kaepernick Just Broke the Bank In San Fran

H2o

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB league and 9ers are committing. Andrew Luck will get an insane amount. I'm not a huge Kaepernick fan. Teams don't pay as much on the rookie scale. Miami and Washington will be in for tough decisions if RG3 and Tannehill have similar seasons to last year. Even Cincy, Dalton is a starting caliber QB and better than anything the Bills have had but if you're trying to win a SB is he good enough?

As usual, the $126M is for entertainment purposes only....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/

That does not sound "as usual"

The total lack of guarantees, April 1 timing for salaries to become guaranteed, de-escalator clause, and player provided insurance policy for the club are all abnormal.

I retract my earlier statement that they are betting on him figuring some stuff out and staying healthy. They got a lot of control for a much lower than advertised price, simply so the player/agent could claim to have hit high benchmarks

That does not sound "as usual"

The total lack of guarantees, April 1 timing for salaries to become guaranteed, de-escalator clause, and player provided insurance policy for the club are all abnormal.

I retract my earlier statement that they are betting on him figuring some stuff out and staying healthy. They got a lot of control for a much lower than advertised price, simply so the player/agent could claim to have hit high benchmarks

By "as usual" I meant the total dollar figure is never as advertised. If that makes any sense.....

He's shown many flashes of being a guy that can carry a team - but he's also still shown question marks. Would you say that his past two years were worth this pay, or that they are betting he gets better?

The contract is for future performance based on thos flashes--not really that "crazy" given what we all have seen. And it's likely the market price for this kid--look what's out there. What do you think another team desperate for a QB would pay to have him right now? Look at Flacco's deal. This is what it costs to lock up the guy you want at QB. It's not a buyers market in the NFL. Kaep has been essetially a freebie for the 49ers so far--he's proven valuable and now they have to actually pay for what they have with him.

QB league and 9ers are committing. Andrew Luck will get an insane amount. I'm not a huge Kaepernick fan. Teams don't pay as much on the rookie scale. Miami and Washington will be in for tough decisions if RG3 and Tannehill have similar seasons to last year. Even Cincy, Dalton is a starting caliber QB and better than anything the Bills have had but if you're trying to win a SB is he good enough?

Sure Luck will get a ton--but so what? That's how this works. Besides, he's playing for peanuts right now under his rookie contract, so over the course of the two contracts, he will cost far less to the COlts than he would have under the previous CBA.

Dalton and Tannehill have no place in this discussion. They are notable only for their shortcomings and as disappointments thus far. Both are more likely to be replaced in the draft than signed for anything close to what Kaep got.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I don't understand all of the angst about this. He has shown that he can win important games on his own(even if it is with his legs) & he is getting paid $3M/year more than Romo & Cutler!!! Romo & Cutler people! Both on $18M+/year......and after this season Romo will be averaging $21.9M/year for the rest of his contract. I see nothing wrong with the Kaepernick deal.

To put it in slightly better perspective, the cap rose $10M this year(the year after Romo & Culter got their deals).......and at least the Kaep deal seems relatively cap friendly if he gets injured down the road.

So realisticly they extended Kaepernick for "only" 13 million guaranteed and are able to cut him whenever they want without suffering a cap penalty?

A small cap penalty for the SB.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 38s

Word around NFL is that when Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson get new deals next year, they will come in between $24-$25 million per year.

By "as usual" I meant the total dollar figure is never as advertised. If that makes any sense.....

I get what you meant but how that was accomplished here seems to go far above and beyond the normal "those last couple years will be cut or restructured." CK gave the 9ers a TON of control over his future by giving April 1 to have his salary become guaranteed. Additionally I cant say I've ever heard of a player having to finance an insurance policy for the team (ie he's getting 60m guaranteed for injury but he's paying an insurance policy on 20m of those payouts.

In reality this contract is 12m smaller than reported but has an escalator (deescalator format seems like it's just to say 21m per instead of 19m with a chance to be higher), the guaranteed dollars work out to approx 20m less due to insurance AND nothing is fully guaranteed until 3 weeks into free agency and that is only for the single year at a time.

They could negotiate with free agent qbs annually and he just has to sit back and hope.

Edited by NoSaint

Dalton and Tannehill have no place in this discussion. They are notable only for their shortcomings and as disappointments thus far. Both are more likely to be replaced in the draft than signed for anything close to what Kaep got.

Tannenhill would solid if he was the bengals qb jmo.

I get what you meant but how that was accomplished here seems to go far above and beyond the normal "those last couple years will be cut or restructured." CK gave the 9ers a TON of control over his future by giving April 1 to have his salary become guaranteed. Additionally I cant say I've ever heard of a player having to finance an insurance policy for the team (ie he's getting 60m guaranteed for injury but he's paying an insurance policy on 20m of those payouts.

In reality this contract is 12m smaller than reported but has an escalator (deescalator format seems like it's just to say 21m per instead of 19m with a chance to be higher), the guaranteed dollars work out to approx 20m less due to insurance AND nothing is fully guaranteed until 3 weeks into free agency and that is only for the single year at a time.

They could negotiate with free agent qbs annually and he just has to sit back and hope.

You explain it much better and I don't understand why he would agree to all this.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 49s

Kaepernick extension could lay groundwork for next wave of big $ QB deals. Contracts that aren't exorbitant with signing bonus / guarantees.

As I said earlier - there's no second tier - between 5m and 18m is essentially vacant. It's simply a yes/no question on whether you will build around the guy. If you will you are paying 20m.

This could definitely be a way to create that grouping even if the contracts look bigger than they are. A guy like dalton could get 18-19m per with de-escalators and easy outs for the team and be a true tier two contract (unlike the romo deal, which should've looked like this one given his age and injuries)