Bills Text Lawsuit

I hate to bring this topic again, but it seems the old topics were archived, and I cannot reply to them.

I got this ridiculous class action lawsuit packet in the mail, so I have a couple questions.

1.) Can I sue the people responsible for mailing me such ridiculous things that I never even subscribed to?

2.) More seriously, What is the best course of action as a Bills fan? Do I ignore this frivolous lawsuit? Do I participate if only to take money away from the lawyers and the douche who started it? How does it work?

3) How come I would get $57.50, $65.00, or $75.00 (in BBI debit cards) depending on the number of weeks that I got more than 5 text messages"? Just looking at Verizons "per text" rate, the worst case scenario to reach $57.50 would have been 575 texts in a week. I don't believe anyone got that many. Are people really getting $57.50-$75 for privacy infringement? Really? For something they subscribed to that they are a fan of? Absurd. Then they go ahead and mail out spam letters notifying people of the lawsuit they are included in by default.

4) The letter I got has 4 options. One of those is to "Attend a hearing on August 20th 2014 at 1:30 pm where people can speak to the court about the fairness of the settlement." I think people should definitely show up there en masse protesting this nonsense.

5) One of the other options is to write to the court about why I do, or do not like the settlement. I think people should also write to the court en masse, explaining why the subscribers of this service think this lawsuit is so frivolous.

I'm a bit familiar with class action suits, and whether you participate or not it won't impact the attorney fees, which are set by the judge as a percentage of the overall settlement fund. If you are offended by the suit, then I like The Kiko Monster's suggestion of participating, and then donating your award to a good cause.

Like it or not, the Bills did screw up by not doing what they said they would do. I agree it's somewhat petty in a practical sense, but it's not "frivolous" in a legal sense. The right to bring a lawsuit like this is something every American should be thankful for, not ridicule.

You may just want to hold onto that letter a little longer, because if the team sells out to a group intending to move it, then I will gladly accept the max free amount of goods I can get to publicly BURN!!!

I think the douche that submitted this frivolous lawsuit needs to be publicly stoned. No way in hell is he a true Bills fan if he is sueing because over draft weekend they sent out a few extra texts...sheesh..get a f'n life.

I laugh because I have a friend who does not have unlimited text messages currently, and he even knows better than to sign up for something like this.

[shrugs] Meh, who am I to turn down free stuff? There's no depth to my shallowness.

Way to be honest.... :-)

Still waiting for my nonsense to show up..

I am more pissed that I didnt get a text message telling me that I would no longer get text messages, it just randomly ceased coming in.

I made the suggestion in the other thread to donate any award you receive to your local orphanage. I bet some of those kids would love to have some nice Bills gear.

Or collect the money from others and put up a billboard outing the douche and the douche lawyer.

If you don't like the lawsuit, then your best option is to not submit a claim.

Do not show up to the fairness hearing and protest; you would be screwing over the bills, who want to see this settlement go through.

Good point. We want this to be done and over for the Bills.

I'm a bit familiar with class action suits, and whether you participate or not it won't impact the attorney fees, which are set by the judge as a percentage of the overall settlement fund. If you are offended by the suit, then I like The Kiko Monster's suggestion of participating, and then donating your award to a good cause.

Like it or not, the Bills did screw up by not doing what they said they would do. I agree it's somewhat petty in a practical sense, but it's not "frivolous" in a legal sense. The right to bring a lawsuit like this is something every American should be thankful for, not ridicule.

I like the idea of donating it, but still feel like a scumbag participating. So if the Bills set aside $3 million in debit cards, and only 20,000 people claim it for $1.3 million (plus 500k for lawyers, and 5k for douche), what happens to the rest of the money? Do the Bills keep it?

I think it is frivolous in the sense that the lawyers and original "class representative" are going to get paid a pretty penny for a couple texts. I think that if the Judge saw it necessary for One Bills Drive's hand to be slapped, they should have to pay any overages that the subscribers incurred, and that is about it. The privacy part is irrelevant, I get constant paper mail, e-mails and notifications on my phone for things I unintentionally subscribe to. I don't think they have a cap of what they can send me in the small print. (Maybe they do, and I can start my own class action lawsuit :w00t: )

It depends on how the settlement is structured. A lot of times the unclaimed money (or, here, debit cards) just revert to the team. Sometimes unclaimed money goes to a charity.

Do you (or anyone) have a link to the class action settlement website, assuming there is one? There might be a web address on the paperwork you received.

http://bbitextclassactionsettlement.com/

Thanks. Interesting:

1) The plaintiff is getting $5000; his lawyers are getting about $500,000.

2) I don't see anything in there re. unclaimed cards--so I suspect that if people don't claim them, then the Bills don't have to shell them out. So, if you are opposed to the lawsuit, I would not submit a claim.

Yep I just read through it too. Thanks, I won't file a claim. I hate crap like this.

The lawyers get 500,000. Why am I not suprised. Did the guy that started this ever think they would get that much? What was he thinking? Wasn't. Must never have done business with the fine group of profesionals before. Sad