SI.com:Buffalo's "simple" offense may be perfect for Sammy

More so than Chris Hogan?

From what Hogan has shown to this point why waste a roster spot ?

Just because 7-11 is always open doesn't mean you always stop there all the time !!

Edited by T master

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our offense is kind of the opposite of the Pats. Last year with Gronk out, the Pats only had a QB and the rest of the skill position guys are average or below average role players. This year we have a lot of individual athletes at skill positions (CJ, FJ, SW, RW, MW, MG, & Hogan) but our QB is EJ. The Pats offense flourishes because they are a unit and Brady demands excellence and Brady delivers his best. Our guys will run around and come close to winning but in the end it will not be good enough because they don't know how to win and EJ won't demand excellence.

I thought one of his strengths is his ability to run a polished route and do all of the route tree? Am I wrong?

Yes. Not one of his strengths because he hasn't been asked to run NFL type routes since his freshman year. One of his strengths, however, is to learn that, and given than the a lot of college WRs coming out of school need to develop this to some dehree, his desire to come in at 6am to work on this is very good. Mike Evans has the same thing to learn, he also is not a polished route runner as he wasn't asked to do it much in college. On the flip side, Robert Woods came in last year as a very crisp route runner which actually prompted many analysts to comment that he didn't look like a rookie out there. The article insinuates that the Bills offense will play to each of their strengths.

Yes. Not one of his strengths because he hasn't been asked to run NFL type routes since his freshman year. One of his strengths, however, is to learn that, and given than the a lot of college WRs coming out of school need to develop this to some dehree, his desire to come in at 6am to work on this is very good. Mike Evans has the same thing to learn, he also is not a polished route runner as he wasn't asked to do it much in college. On the flip side, Robert Woods came in last year as a very crisp route runner which actually prompted many analysts to comment that he didn't look like a rookie out there. The article insinuates that the Bills offense will play to each of their strengths.

Well you could be right with what the national pundits are saying and his college film, but listening to EJ from yesterday, he seems to think that Watkins is a pretty fine route runner. Saying he can count on Sammy always being where he should be. So maybe he's more polished than we are led to believe. :thumbsup:

With the rules in th eNFL today favoring the receiver i like Watkins ability to transition nicely. Watkins has great hands and maybe the quickest first step we have seen in awhile. Combine that with the fact that DB's can hardly press anymore and we could see Sammy with a lot of YAC.

Did you watch seattle last year?

They won the superbowl holding receivers.....

this brings me to a thought I have been forming on what the 2014 season may look like.

It makes me think about what may be able to happen if Manuel is able to spread the ball around and find WR's. A TE and a slot receiver always in position on their plays will be huge. He can go thru his first reads and find the big WR's outside and speedy guys down deep and then check down to his dependable route runners - slow Chandler and that Woods fella we keep forgetting.

If EJ can spread the ball around to 7+ players a game down field every game that will be a critical factor in our development and record.

If he only goes after 3 or 4 targets a game then we will be doomed.

this brings me to a thought I have been forming on what the 2014 season may look like.

It makes me think about what may be able to happen if Manuel is able to spread the ball around and find WR's. A TE and a slot receiver always in position on their plays will be huge. He can go thru his first reads and find the big WR's outside and speedy guys down deep and then check down to his dependable route runners - slow Chandler and that Woods fella we keep forgetting.

If EJ can spread the ball around to 7+ players a game down field every game that will be a critical factor in our development and record.

If he only goes after 3 or 4 targets a game then we will be doomed DOOOOOOOMED.

Fixed it for you :D

If he only goes after 3 or 4 targets a game then we will be doomed.

I dont think anyone is forgetting Woods. If anything, Bills fans are satisfied with Woods and are penciling him in to have a great year, so they don't feel the need to rehash his position. Then of course, he's not a flashy new toy either. Woods will be intregal to this offense, and I can't wait to see what he does this year in the slot.

As to your EJ point, totally agree. His next big step this year should be to hold onto the ball a second longer to let routes develop which would = more targets to more recievers.

It always concerns me when a negative is showcased as a positive. Watkins will be a much better WR if/when he has the whole route tree down pat. His other abilities allowing for success early and the offense being tailored to what he can already do is a very good thing, but I'm not excited about the offense being limited. I'll breathe easier when he develops into a complete WR. One other thought: maybe this is the reason that the Bills wanted Watkins so badly. He's been doing exactly what the offense requires already.

I dont think anyone is forgetting Woods. If anything, Bills fans are satisfied with Woods and are penciling him in to have a great year, so they don't feel the need to rehash his position. Then of course, he's not a flashy new toy either. Woods will be intregal to this offense, and I can't wait to see what he does this year in the slot.

As to your EJ point, totally agree. His next big step this year should be to hold onto the ball a second longer to let routes develop which would = more targets to more recievers.

Hopefully all of the work Buffalo did in the offseason with the OL will give EJ that extra second

hmm. I think the in depth fan, yes. But the casual fan to the foolish fan is too much in awe with the razzle dazzle flash and hype with guys like Mike Williams, Watkins, and Goodwin. Woods becomes yeah, that good WR we have but he isn't as good as Williams, as dynamic as Watkins or as fast as Goodwin.

Many of us here see Woods' value. He is good. And could be the leading WR for this team. In fact I might be so bold as to go ahead and say it now. Woods is our leader at WR for 2014.

As to EJ I can bring up my favorite superhuman superhero, the best guy ever to walk this Earth. TJ Graham would run a route and the ball would be thrown as he was still in route and once finished with his route he would turn around and see the play completed. That is an indictment of Graham, clearly, andhis lack of developed talent. But more so an indictment first of the play calling and coordination that kept Graham on the field running empty routes that served no purpose. Second an indictment of the OL and QB. The rhythm just was not there. The timing, blocking and reads were not made.

It breaks down to execution in the backfield. If the OL let's Manuel get executed he will struggle. If Manuel cannot execute the offense we will not generate points. If the coaches cannot coach it won't matter who is down field.

EJ Manuel has a lot on his shoulders. Let's hope he doesn't have to drag along a sub par OL and coaching staff as he attempts to rise.

hmm. I think the in depth fan, yes. But the casual fan to the foolish fan is too much in awe with the razzle dazzle flash and hype with guys like Mike Williams, Watkins, and Goodwin. Woods becomes yeah, that good WR we have but he isn't as good as Williams, as dynamic as Watkins or as fast as Goodwin.

Many of us here see Woods' value. He is good. And could be the leading WR for this team. In fact I might be so bold as to go ahead and say it now. Woods is our leader at WR for 2014.

As to EJ I can bring up my favorite superhuman superhero, the best guy ever to walk this Earth. TJ Graham would run a route and the ball would be thrown as he was still in route and once finished with his route he would turn around and see the play completed. That is an indictment of Graham, clearly, andhis lack of developed talent. But more so an indictment first of the play calling and coordination that kept Graham on the field running empty routes that served no purpose. Second an indictment of the OL and QB. The rhythm just was not there. The timing, blocking and reads were not made.

It breaks down to execution in the backfield. If the OL let's Manuel get executed he will struggle. If Manuel cannot execute the offense we will not generate points. If the coaches cannot coach it won't matter who is down field.

EJ Manuel has a lot on his shoulders. Let's hope he doesn't have to drag along a sub par OL and coaching staff as he attempts to rise.

i agree that woods doesn't have the razzle dazzle, but i do think that he is a frontrunner in my mind for the number of catches. he easily had the best chemistry with ej last year. first downs are a stat of their own and woods really managed to sneak into soft spots. with two flashy guys on the outside it's looking like a pick your poison decision in 3 wr sets

i agree that woods doesn't have the razzle dazzle, but i do think that he is a frontrunner in my mind for the number of catches. he easily had the best chemistry with ej last year. first downs are a stat of their own and woods really managed to sneak into soft spots. with two flashy guys on the outside it's looking like a pick your poison decision in 3 wr sets

find a way to lineup 3 WR and Spiller and Jackson...yeah.

Jackson can block as well as Chandler. So that helps.

Then split Spiller off to WR to really cause havok. Or both run pass routes right out of the backfield

I thought one of his strengths is his ability to run a polished route and do all of the route tree? Am I wrong?

No, you're not. He's as good a route runner as we've had in a while. So is Woods, btw. This reporter is just lazy and has little appreciation for how the Clemson coaches utilized SW's amazing athleticism. The most basic tenet in football is "take what the defense gives you." Once you do that consistently, you can start taking what you want. Clemson did plenty of that with Sammy Watkins.

GO BILLS!!!

Reading that article where Sammy describes "steps vs. yards", it's apparent why SJ wasn't a preferred receiver in this offense. Hackett's passing offense is predicated on timing patterns and Stevie routinely messed up timing with his QB, especially on shallower (3 steps or less) drops.

In watching so much tape on Watkins, he has the best feet I've seen in a while. Watch how he positions them to take off as he's catching the ball.

GO BILLS!!!

Reading that article where Sammy describes "steps vs. yards", it's apparent why SJ wasn't a preferred receiver in this offense. Hackett's passing offense is predicated on timing patterns and Stevie routinely messed up timing with his QB, especially on shallower (3 steps or less) drops.

In watching so much tape on Watkins, he has the best feet I've seen in a while. Watch how he positions them to take off as he's catching the ball.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree on his footwork; thing of beauty. I listened to Chris Brown on the JMS last night and he said that was very much why Stevie didn't have a spot here.... he was such an unorthodox route runner there were too many times the play didn't happen because of it. Didn't mesh with what EJ needed.

• 2 weeks later...