Breaking down EJ's incomplete passes in 2013

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aww man where's the beef?

Let me guess the #1 reason - SJ13 dropped the pass.

unofficial "final total" was 35 drops.

DING DING DING DING DING

Only two players and one group had five or more "receiver at fault" plays: Stevie Johnson (14), tight ends (6), and T.J. Graham (5). Here’s where they happened

DING DING DING DING DING

Only two players and one group had five or more "receiver at fault" plays: Stevie Johnson (14), tight ends (6), and T.J. Graham (5). Here’s where they happened

I was going to post that same quote from the article...interesting.

20 percent of the attempts (not incompletions!) to Johnson were incomplete because he dropped the ball or failed to get both feet in bounds.

20% of EJ's throws to his number 1 receiver were not completions because of Stevie. That doesn't really sound like a number 1 guy to me. Hard to have a lot of confidence when your guy is dropping every 5th pass.

20% of EJ's throws to his number 1 receiver were not completions because of Stevie. That doesn't really sound like a number 1 guy to me. Hard to have a lot of confidence when your guy is dropping every 5th pass.

Stevie was unreliable, unaccountable, and had a big contract. Door, shown. I originally didn't want him gone because of the relative youth in the WR corp but I think we have better options now and Woods is really the one replacing him in the slot. He is better off as the #3 option in SF. Edited by YoloinOhio

Just four more completed passes gets EJ to 60% passing. Ten more gets him to 62%. He's got stuff to work on, and he has been, but having a better WR corps to throw to will help him out just as much.

Yeah but he REALLY liked the City of Buffalo (when he wasn't living elsewhere during the offseason)

Just four more completed passes gets EJ to 60% passing. Ten more gets him to 62%. He's got stuff to work on, and he has been, but having a better WR corps to throw to will help him out just as much.

Considering Sammy was actually catching all of Kenny G's errant passes in rookie camp, I am hopeful :)

Great point Doc...also, Nate Hackett had EJ, Thad and Tuel, Stevie injured, CJ injured, and Goodwin out for several games. I think we'll see what Hackett can really do this year with a healthy EJ and healthy receivers.

DING DING DING DING DING

SJ's completion percentage is average. Some fans have a selective memory due to high profile drops. And there are other players on the Bills (Choice, Graham) with higher drop rates. Losing SJ is going to hurt.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

According to the numbers, Stevie could have gotten him there alone...and still been our worst receiver.

SJ's completion percentage is average. Some fans have a selective memory due to high profile drops. And there are other players on the Bills (Choice, Graham) with higher drop rates. Losing SJ is going to hurt.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Hurt so bad you used an already cut HB (Choice) and an excel or be cut receiver (Graham) to make your point?

According to the numbers, Stevie could have gotten him there alone...and still been our worst receiver.

Hurt so bad you used an already cut HB (Choice) and an excel or be cut receiver (Graham) to make your point?

My point: He's not as bad as some fans here think. There are others with higher drop rates on this team. He's right in the middle of NFL receivers. Which isn't bad considering he's had to play with more QBs than I can even count.

My point: He's not as bad as some fans here think. There are others with higher drop rates on this team. He's right in the middle of NFL receivers. Which isn't bad considering he's had to play with more QBs than I can even count.

I don't think he is a "bad WR" by any means. I don't think, however, he was a good fit on this team as it stands today. I think he is in a much better situation now to produce, and the Bills also are in a better situation for who the QB and others WRs are. And therefore, I do not think he will be missed. I think his production will be absorbed by WRs who are a better fit for this current personnel. Specifically, I think Woods is a better all-around WR with skill set, is a natural fit in the slot where Stevie was playing, and has better chemistry with the QB. Edited by YoloinOhio

My biggest issue with EJ is that he seems to be very mechanical in his play and not instinctive. I know that sounds vague, but I get the impression watching him last year that he tends to be almost robotic, I'm not sure if that is because he was unsure of himself, hesitant or simply rookie nerves. I love his arm strength, mobility and I think he has a quick delivery. Instincts and accuracy are the two areas I plan to watch closely to see if there is improvement.

My biggest issue with EJ is that he seems to be very mechanical in his play and not instinctive. I know that sounds vague, but I get the impression watching him last year that he tends to be almost robotic, I'm not sure if that is because he was unsure of himself, hesitant or simply rookie nerves. I love his arm strength, mobility and I think he has a quick delivery. Instincts and accuracy are the two areas I plan to watch closely to see if there is improvement.

One analyst called it "slow eyes." Apropos. That, and of course his penchant for busting his knees on nondescript plays.

I look forward to seeing where he can take his game come September.

Do you think Woods will be a worse slot WR than SJ?

I don't know. All I know is I loved his hustle (never stopped, even when he wasn't the designated target) and route running ability, and he seemed to love playing for the team and living in Buffalo.

One analyst called it "slow eyes." Apropos. That, and of course his penchant for busting his knees on nondescript plays.

I look forward to seeing where he can take his game come September.

I don't know. All I know is I loved his hustle (never stopped, even when he wasn't the designated target) and route running ability, and he seemed to love playing for the team and living in Buffalo.

Are you referring to Johnson or Woods??

It would be nice to know how EJ's stats compare to other QBs. It's tough to glean anything from them on their own.

I can draw a conclusion from the data that wood appears reliable. Few drops for one of the top number of catches.

I agree there not much you can discern about EJ. For one the deeper the pass the harder it is to tell who is at fault.

I'd be more interested in passer rating with each WR. That would tell me more about what we are dealing with.

Do you think Woods will be a worse slot WR than SJ?

Not sure he will be there. I am guessing watkins will get a look there first. Woods seems like a guy you want running deep posts/crosses. Think he'll get knocked around inside.