Update on renovations to The Ralph

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help thinking this is such folly. Why bother with all this expense and upgrade if the League is mandating a new venue. This seems so foolish

I think Ralph's people packaged the renovations with the lease to keep the team in WNY at least for another 5 or 6 years. It was a brilliant last hedging gesture to the area. Best he could do. The renovations may be the key to the lease requirement that the team actually play in the stadium in addition to paying the rent. Just my opinion, but if the performance clause of the lease (the clause that says the team actually has to play in the stadium) is taken to court (and it will by someone willing to pay the Ralph rent but wanting to move the team right away) maybe the $130m in renovations becomes relevant. Maybe not. Also, it is totally unclear that anyone will pay for a new stadium for the Bills in WNY, so the renovations make sense as a backup accommodation for the fans as well. Things are completely uncertain right now. Anyone who thinks a new $1B stadium is for sure going to be built in WNY is delusional. No way the thing could pay off for those investing in it, unless the taxpayers are heavily involved (which may happen). From a major league perspective, Buffalo is Sochi. For big time venues to be built , the taxpayers pay a significant portion of the cost, a payment that will never pay back. Hope I am wrong, but hard for me to see Cuomo going to the mat financially for Buffalo. Both he and Poloncarz already making noise that a new stadium is not necessary. Not enough votes? Not enough $$ ?

Edited by 8and8Forever

Just saw this today... I know a few were asking for pictures.... Slightly less fuzzy than the ones Eball stole from hammer...

http://m.buffalobill...39-71a78c3082b1

TV

Not stolen. Clicked on your link and saw NO photo's? Buffalo station WGRZ was at the Ralph today great shots. The "Grand Stairs" better get a Clear Span Tent over them when the rain comes!