Four Position Battles to watch in Training Camp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that he is assuming Duke is starting. IMO he is the favorite to start opposite AW but I agree with you that it isn't a sure thing.

I gathered the same from reading it. I feel like they want to give him the job but if he doesn't rise to the occasion they are keeping Graham's options to slide into that spot. I see the starting safety position opposite AW as a very interesting and important competition. Byrd will be hard to replace, however, I think Schwartz's defense does not depend on an elite player at FS as much as Pettine's.

I believe the theory is searcy is at his best in limited roles

I remember Marrone saying something to the effect of he liked Searcy as the 3rd/box safety. I know Quinn is insinuating Searcy doesn't make the team as he doesn't have him in his final 53. I don't agree, but will be interesting to see it play out. Edited by YoloinOhio

Why wouldn't we start AW and Searcy?

I think that they drafted Duke last year knowing that they my lose JB this offseason. There may have been some indications from their negotiations. Last years draft was weak overall but strong at the S position. They may have felt like they got pretty good value with the pick.

I like Searcy more than most but he just doesn't have the physical skill set of AW or DW.

I remember Marrone saying something to the effect of he liked Searcy as the 3rd/box safety. I know Quinn is insinuating Searcy doesn't make the team as he doesn't have him in his final 53. I don't agree, but will be interesting to see it play out.

If I recall he made an ugly comment about the whole group at the combine in conjuncture with putting that low ceiling on searcy.... It wasn't a great one to hear as a fan

I thought Searcy played pretty well last season when Byrd was out. He finished up the season with:

71 tackles / 3.5 sacks / 7 Passes Defended / 1 INT / 1 TD

Searcy is definitely a more traditional, in the box type SS at 5'11" / 220 lbs. He is much stouter against the run then Byrd was and I think a Williams/Searcy combo in the backfield provides this defense with much better run support from the safeties. I think it's Searcy's job to lose on early downs and either Graham or Duke Williams will cycle in on passing downs.

Priority number 1 for this defense needs to be improving against the run. The staff definitely recognized that by adding Brandon Spikes, Keith Rivers, and Preston Brown to the LB corp. I think our all-pro defensive line is good enough to hold its own against the run & the major problem last year was the LB's. Moving Alonso outside allows him to make a lot more plays and not have to take on OG's as often (something he does not excel at)

I will be very interesting to see how battles for the SLB spot in TC. Kiko is the WLB, where he is much better suited to use his outstanding athleticism.

Spikes is he day 1 starter at MLB. He is absolute beast against the run as evidenced by his #1 ranking against the run the past 2 season. Adding him should bump our run defense a 3-5 spots off the bat. He claims he can be a 3 down guy & has a chip on his shoulder to prove that. He also brings a ton of aggressiveness which should really invigorate the entire defense.

The battle for SLB will be intense. Keith Rivers was a former "can't miss" top 10 pick. He has all types of athleticism but injuries have really slowed him. Taking Preston Brown at 73 was a sign that they don't fully trust Rivers to lock that spot up. Whaley said Brown was the top rated player on their board and despite some scouting reports, can play every LB spot:

"The more I watched of him, the more I thought he could play three downs. He's a bit of a throwback type of player." -- Mike Mayock

At 6'1" / 251 lb, he has that ideal size. He was a team leader on the best defense in college football at Louisville.

Outstanding size. Physical tackler. Steps downhilll and attacks the run with the proper shoulder. Good eyes and instincts. Delivers some pop on contact and strikes with force. Experienced three-year starter. Good football intelligence -- makes the calls and lines up a defense. Has large hands and a big wing span for his size.

Brown is going to give them some much needed depth and might even be able to win that starting job. Whaley did a fantastic job of revamping this LB corp which will really improve the atrocious run defense.

Can't see how Pears makes the team at his current salary.

Cap hit is only $3.45M...he could stay on as a swing OT at that cost.

Especially given the low costs at which they have Glenn and Kouandjio, and the uncertainty surrounding Hairston and Henderson.

It'd be nice to have veteran depth.

I think that he is assuming Duke is starting. IMO he is the favorite to start opposite AW but I agree with you that it isn't a sure thing.

I agree and prob what Bills want as well but there will still be a battle at that position. I know they like Searcy in the role he played last year but I actually think he can start at SS and play well in Schwartz's system

I gathered the same from reading it. I feel like they want to give him the job but if he doesn't rise to the occasion they are keeping Graham's options to slide into that spot. I see the starting safety position opposite AW as a very interesting and important competition. Byrd will be hard to replace, however, I think Schwartz's defense does not depend on an elite player at FS as much as Pettine's.

I prefer to keep Graham at CB, that's where he has played and been successful so why change it

Edited by Max997

i would like to speak on Safety again.

Searcy improved last year under Pettine. He was a solid player in everything he was asked to do . and he was asked to cover .

I never saw him get beat in the coverages. Smart kid. I expect that Duke W should be seeing the field a plenty this season too.

I think both are will compliment the other . graham can play football and a is a very smart pickup. 3 safeties or 3 corner backs the Bills have options. The designated "starter " might mean less this day and age to the team.

i would like to speak on Safety again.

Searcy improved last year under Pettine. He was a solid player in everything he was asked to do . and he was asked to cover .

I never saw him get beat in the coverages. Smart kid. I expect that Duke W should be seeing the field a plenty this season too.

I think both are will compliment the other . graham can play football and a is a very smart pickup. 3 safeties or 3 corner backs the Bills have options. The designated "starter " might mean less this day and age to the team.

I'd actually like to move that to 4 CBs. I thought that Robey proved last year that he could play.

I'd actually like to move that to 4 CBs. I thought that Robey proved last year that he could play.

Robey proved he deserved a spot. His size will always limit him to the slot but there is no reason he can't be a very good slot guy in Dime for years to come. He's only listed at 5'8" / 165. He still had 39 tackles, 10 passes defended, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF, 1 TD

I also am holding out hope for Ron Brooks to step up. He really has struggled and has battled injuries as well. He seems like he could be a very good reserve DB who can contribute big on special teams.

Gilmore

McKelvin

Graham

Robey

Cockrell

Those are the top 5 more then likely

I think Graham plays all over the place in this defense. I'm not sure how many CB's they will keep but Cockrell isn't going anywhere. Ron Brooks is going to really show some things in TC to make the team

Edited by smapdi

Actually they're aren't a lot of Battles.

Which is a good thing.

You 7/11 staters from last year on offense.

With addition in, without a battle, Watkins.

Making 8 starting positions in Ink. 1 in Pencil, Kouandjio. RT, LG, and one of the 3 WR slots will change from last year.

Manuel, Woods, Goodwin, wood, FJ, CJ, Urbik, Glenn, Chandler all return to their roles. Even if Moeaki or Gregg push for reps Chandler will likely still get significant PT.

That kind of continuity in the same system is good for an offense and should give them a jump start on the year.

On Defense the same games 7/11 staters are the same. Aaron Williams, McKelvin, Gilmore, Dareus ( if not suspended (dumb-ass)) Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, Kiko.

The big change is how the LBs will fit in to the new system. Which has been discussed ad nausium . Not continuity in system but most of the starters on key positions are settled.

you forgot Jerry Hughes, he may be considered the starter, at least for now and if not him then Branch. Both of them were first team, sort of. More like 1A and 1B. Also, Lawson was a starter. We return 10 of 11 starters. Some just may not be starting because of upgrades.

Same on offense. TJ Graham now is the first in, substitution by all indication. We also have CJ and FJ. Also 1A and 1B.

oops. Hell yes he could . Thanks for the correct correction K J !

Plus now this Cockrrell kid. Smart and a gamer .

I hate to drink kool aid this early in the day but if Duke can play Bills might have a stocked secondary under one hell of a caoch

you forgot Jerry Hughes, he may be considered the starter, at least for now and if not him then Branch. Both of them were first team, sort of. More like 1A and 1B. Also, Lawson was a starter. We return 10 of 11 starters. Some just may not be starting because of upgrades.

Same on offense. TJ Graham now is the first in, substitution by all indication. We also have CJ and FJ. Also 1A and 1B.

I think you must also feel the team has a good bit of highly skilled flexibilty right about now ?