Four Position Battles to watch in Training Camp

I want to know where Manny Lawson fits into this defense.

Jim Monos says that Lawson is a DE. So is he a starting DE, or is Jerry Hughes the starter?

Personally I would like to see the Bills move Kyle Williams to DE and have Alan Branch as the starting DT next to Dareus.

Kyle has always been a good pass rusher, and Branch is a better D-Tackle.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know where Manny Lawson fits into this defense.

Jim Monos says that Lawson is a DE. So is he a starting DE, or is Jerry Hughes the starter?

Personally I would like to see the Bills move Kyle Williams to DE and have Alan Branch as the starting DT next to Dareus.

Kyle has always been a good pass rusher, and Branch is a better D-Tackle.

I get the impression that Hughes and Lawson will rotate on passing downs and it will be Branch on rushing downs. Branch likely listed as the starter, but I think the sub-packages will be requiring a lot of flexibility.

oops. Hell yes he could . Thanks for the correct correction K J !

Plus now this Cockrrell kid. Smart and a gamer .

I hate to drink kool aid this early in the day but if Duke can play Bills might have a stocked secondary under one hell of a caoch

I think you must also feel the team has a good bit of highly skilled flexibilty right about now ?

most definitely.

Here is a run down of some thoughts I had last week or so that I never shared in a thread I never made on such a topic.

We have all seen the Bills offense take shape to become a new unit. One in transition. And one we do not understand. With Fitzpatrick we were very careful to control the ball. We had large targets and dependable players in skilled positions. Donald Jones, Scott Chandler, David Nelson, Steve Johnson, and Fred Jackson were keys to this. Each could catch a hard ball in the limited offense we had that only used about 10% of the field. Nothing out of the hashes, nothing beyond 12 yards. And we moved the ball. We did so very well. Then something changed. We drafted a speedy project WR - TJ Graham. We finally got Gailey to really tap Spiller. And in that time we lost some of the dependability but we moved the ball much better. It was all or nothing; we were making big plays and we had an offense that could win games. It was not a good offense. Nor was it talented. It was just a very good unit put together and was centered around one piece we forget easily. The OL.

GAILEY WAS A GENIUS. We can see this now. Imagine the twisted history time machine we could get that would have with Gailey over the offense and LeBeau over the defense? Would LeBeau be better then Pettine? Yes, I really believe so but that is another thread I will save for a rainy day.

But, 3rd, as you bring up...flexibility. It's a theme we can run with this year, it's a theme we need to realize was part of the transition we began under Gailey. The first two seasons or so Gailey was our head coach I see differently now. It was like he was building a roster - developing it piece by piece just way too slowly. But, he is the reason we are here today, he got players going on offense.

Our flexibility is great and I will start with my favorite player just to get that out of the way. TJ Graham should be on our roster by all logic in 2014. If you the reader disagree with this and this is the point where you as a reader say "no way, I lost you at TJ Graham" well good, go ahead and stop reading. Graham is going to be our Hakeem Nicks or Mario Manningham. He is going to be the first off the bench, more then likely and he is going to be the one to play inside, outside, off the line, or anywhere else. We could see him anywhere on the field and able to add something to the field. He is a versatile player who needs to contribute to special teams, as well.

However, I want to use TJ Graham as a metaphor. TJ Graham is the difference between what we used to be and what we are becoming. He is the missing link. Too fast and ahead of his time with Gailey and too undeveloped to succeed in an evolved roster. That really got my thoughts moving and really got me looking at the pieces gone and the pieces added. Where are Donald Jones, Steve Johnson and David Nelson today? Shirely, Johnson might have been the one worth keeping. But, of all of them we still have Chandler - and I think that say something.

Chandler. Scott Chandler. The best TE we've had in over a decade. A TE who is worth having on 32 rosters in this league and any team would likely be happy to have. A superior 2nd TE who can contribute as the red zone double TE or even go out to the hash lines like Gailey used to do some times. He is versatile but he is a dinosaur.

He is going to be the last last piece to upgrade. In 2015 we will have a new number 1 TE some how, some way. In 2015 I hope Chandler is still on this team and still catching TD's.

2015 FA TE's:

Kyle Rudolph

Anthony McCoy

Owen Daniels

Matt Spaeth

Jermaine Gresham

Daniel Fells

Julius Thomas

2015 Draft Prospect TE's:

Nick O'Leary - FSU

Ben Koack - Notre Dame

Rory Anderson - USC

EJ Bibbs - ISU

McCole Pruitt - SIU

Randall Telfer - Univ. So. Cal

Jeff Heuerman - The Ohio State University

Wes Saxton - So. Alabama

Braxton Deaver - Duke

CJ Uzomah - Auburn

Bills FA TE's:

Tony Moeki

Lee Smith

Mike Caussin

I really like Heuerman, from The Ohio State Universty. He reminds me of Aaron Hernandez who I really liked coming out of Florida - and played a similar role for Urban Meyer. Without a first pick and not wanting to spend a 2nd I like Heuerman in the 3rd. That 2nd round pick...maybe goes QB.

So, 3rd, to answer your question. I see a ton of flexibility but it is what I don't see in that flexibility and what have seen in the big picture that has the most excited.

We are now a team that can play the entire field. Goodwin and Graham can go beyond 15 yards, Robert Woods is money outside and Mike Williams got stabbed by his brother. CJ Spiller can do anything on the field. Fred Jackson is all heart and will make himself do anything on the field. We are a team of versatility we are a team of a bigger picture.

The key to this is that transition I spoke of and when you make a transition the next step transcendence. We must transcend. 2010 we tore it down, 2011 were finding the pieces. 2012 was testing them out. 2013 was laying the foundation. 2014 - we must transcend. And to do that we must ascend atop what we have already. I see it. I believe.

Maybe I should have made my own thread for this? I'll let ya'll decide, if the moderators want to do it, they can...except Beerball. I don't like him.

#longposting

Edited by jboyst62

You didn't lose me at Graham......you lost me at "Shirely"......surely you must be joking ??

You're not you say?.....well then stop calling us Shirley..... :nana:

most definitely.

Here is a run down of some thoughts I had last week or so that I never shared in a thread I never made on such a topic.

We have all seen the Bills offense take shape to become a new unit. One in transition. And one we do not understand. With Fitzpatrick we were very careful to control the ball. We had large targets and dependable players in skilled positions. Donald Jones, Scott Chandler, David Nelson, Steve Johnson, and Fred Jackson were keys to this. Each could catch a hard ball in the limited offense we had that only used about 10% of the field. Nothing out of the hashes, nothing beyond 12 yards. And we moved the ball. We did so very well. Then something changed. We drafted a speedy project WR - TJ Graham. We finally got Gailey to really tap Spiller. And in that time we lost some of the dependability but we moved the ball much better. It was all or nothing; we were making big plays and we had an offense that could win games. It was not a good offense. Nor was it talented. It was just a very good unit put together and was centered around one piece we forget easily. The OL.

GAILEY WAS A GENIUS. We can see this now. Imagine the twisted history time machine we could get that would have with Gailey over the offense and LeBeau over the defense? Would LeBeau be better then Pettine? Yes, I really believe so but that is another thread I will save for a rainy day.

But, 3rd, as you bring up...flexibility. It's a theme we can run with this year, it's a theme we need to realize was part of the transition we began under Gailey. The first two seasons or so Gailey was our head coach I see differently now. It was like he was building a roster - developing it piece by piece just way too slowly. But, he is the reason we are here today, he got players going on offense.

Our flexibility is great and I will start with my favorite player just to get that out of the way. TJ Graham should be on our roster by all logic in 2014. If you the reader disagree with this and this is the point where you as a reader say "no way, I lost you at TJ Graham" well good, go ahead and stop reading. Graham is going to be our Hakeem Nicks or Mario Manningham. He is going to be the first off the bench, more then likely and he is going to be the one to play inside, outside, off the line, or anywhere else. We could see him anywhere on the field and able to add something to the field. He is a versatile player who needs to contribute to special teams, as well.

However, I want to use TJ Graham as a metaphor. TJ Graham is the difference between what we used to be and what we are becoming. He is the missing link. Too fast and ahead of his time with Gailey and too undeveloped to succeed in an evolved roster. That really got my thoughts moving and really got me looking at the pieces gone and the pieces added. Where are Donald Jones, Steve Johnson and David Nelson today? Shirely, Johnson might have been the one worth keeping. But, of all of them we still have Chandler - and I think that say something.

Chandler. Scott Chandler. The best TE we've had in over a decade. A TE who is worth having on 32 rosters in this league and any team would likely be happy to have. A superior 2nd TE who can contribute as the red zone double TE or even go out to the hash lines like Gailey used to do some times. He is versatile but he is a dinosaur.

He is going to be the last last piece to upgrade. In 2015 we will have a new number 1 TE some how, some way. In 2015 I hope Chandler is still on this team and still catching TD's.

2015 FA TE's:

Kyle Rudolph

Anthony McCoy

Owen Daniels

Matt Spaeth

Jermaine Gresham

Daniel Fells

Julius Thomas

Nick O'Leary - FSU

Ben Koack - Notre Dame

Rory Anderson - USC

EJ Bibbs - ISU

McCole Pruitt - SIU

Wes Saxton - So. Alabama

Braxton Deaver - Duke

CJ Uzomah - Au

Bills FA TE's:

Tony Moeki

Lee Smith

Mike Caussin

I really like Heuerman, from The Ohio State Universty. He reminds me of Aaron Hernandez who I really liked coming out of Florida - and played a similar role for Urban Meyer. Without a first pick and not wanting to spend a 2nd I like Heuerman in the 3rd. That 2nd round pick...maybe goes QB.

So, 3rd, to answer your question. I see a ton of flexibility but it is what I don't see in that flexibility and what have seen in the big picture that has the most excited.

We are now a team that can play the entire field. Goodwin and Graham can go beyond 15 yards, Robert Woods is money outside and Mike Williams got stabbed by his brother. CJ Spiller can do anything on the field. Fred Jackson is all heart and will make himself do anything on the field. We are a team of versatility we are a team of a bigger picture.

The key to this is that transition I spoke of and when you make a transition the next step transcendence. We must transcend. 2010 we tore it down, 2011 were finding the pieces. 2012 was testing them out. 2013 was laying the foundation. 2014 - we must transcend. And to do that we must ascend atop what we have already. I see it. I believe.

Maybe I should have made my own thread for this? I'll let ya'll decide, if the moderators want to do it, they can...except Beerball. I don't like him.

#longposting

You didn't lose me at Graham......you lost me at "Shirely"......surely you must be joking ??

You're not you say?.....well then stop calling us Shirley..... :nana:

I wish we had a player named Temple.

#Shirely,I'mSirius.

Edited by jboyst62

Cap hit is only $3.45M...he could stay on as a swing OT at that cost.

Especially given the low costs at which they have Glenn and Kouandjio, and the uncertainty surrounding Hairston and Henderson.

It'd be nice to have veteran depth.

I actually think it's 50-50 between Pears and Hairston. While I'm sure the coaching staff would like to move on from Pears, it's unclear how Hairston will recover from his injuries and I wouldn't be surprised to see Pears as the swing tackle with Henderson on the practice squad and Hairston cut.

most definitely.

2015 FA TE's:

Kyle Rudolph

Anthony McCoy

Owen Daniels

Matt Spaeth

Jermaine Gresham

Daniel Fells

Julius Thomas

Nick O'Leary - FSU

Ben Koack - Notre Dame

Rory Anderson - USC

EJ Bibbs - ISU

McCole Pruitt - SIU

Wes Saxton - So. Alabama

Braxton Deaver - Duke

CJ Uzomah - Auburn

Bills FA TE's:

Tony Moeki

Lee Smith

Mike Caussin

#longposting

You sir i are becoming one of my favorite persons i have yet to meet !

i think my liitle comet about the stars are about to align... well its not just wishful thinking.

Geebus if my boy Chan had more tools and a mike Pettine or a jim Schwartz to take care of the "other side" of the ball. .

well thats just silly i guess. And now Marrone is my boy.

But , yep this has been a work in progress and its starting to become kinda fun .

Very good and thoughtful post from you. thanks

Edited by 3rdand12

You sir i are becoming one of my favorite persons i have yet to meet !

i think my liitle comet about the stars are about to align... well its not just wishful thinking.

Geebus if my boy Chan had more tools and a mike Pettine or a jim Schwartz to take care of the "other side" of the ball. .

well thats just silly i guess. And now Marrone is my boy.

But , yep this has been a work in progress and its starting to become kinda fun .

Very good and thoughtful post from you. thanks

at the laptop and its a commercial so here goes some defense stuff...

Our missing piece on defense is DL. Yep. We got Spikes and he is 50/50 on being here in 2015. If not, well, I think we can find someone to play there. I was big in to wanting Daryl Smith, but he's a Raven for a while and that's good for him. But, we got Spikes and I am fine with that.

What we do not have is a compliment to Dareus. We have Kyle Williams, a phenomenal player and I want him to be a Bill for as long as possible and reasonable, but we need to build around Dareus. I don't care if he's stupid and lazy, he's just damn good.

I honestly believe Dareus is playing out of position. He is a DT who plays like a DE. One of the best in the league, but we need a take every possible step we can to finding a fat butted tackle who can play like Wilfork. Let this big NT be the plate. Let Dareus the fork. Get a good MLB and make him the knife. Find a good DE and make him the spoon. The fork grabs the pieces, the spoon pushes, pulls and just moves everything, while the knife cuts it all down. None of it can go on without the plate which must hold it all together.

We are one ILB, one safety and one DT/NT away from the best defense in the NFL. We may have that safety on the roster, I am pretty sure we have upgraded ILB and at best a long term solution. We need DT/NT to pull it together.

Just like on offense, we do not necessarily need a QB at this point but it sure would make things a lot better to have a great one. We need an OL. Someone on the right side to really anchor it. An RT who can be top 50% at his position will bring us a long way up.

I prefer Graham at CB and think he takes over nickel from Robey who we all like but prob better suited as 4th CB

I thought that Robey was playing outstanding football by the second half of the season. He seems pretty suited to the nickel. Scheme might changes things somewhat but IMO he would be the smart choice there at the moment.

That Funchess kid from Michigan impressed me last year. Likely, not an in line TE but he is an athlete.

Beat me to it.

I would not be surprised at all if Devin Funchess declared for the draft after this season. While he is not a "True Tight End", the kid has talent.

Beat me to it.

I would not be surprised at all if Devin Funchess declared for the draft after this season. While he is not a "True Tight End", the kid has talent.

Mocks have him declaring and going in the first round so as of today the Bills won't be able to draft him.

I agree that the Bills are pretty close, as others have mentioned, it's really up to EJ to start making the leap.

Robey proved he deserved a spot. His size will always limit him to the slot but there is no reason he can't be a very good slot guy in Dime for years to come. He's only listed at 5'8" / 165. He still had 39 tackles, 10 passes defended, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF, 1 TD

I also am holding out hope for Ron Brooks to step up. He really has struggled and has battled injuries as well. He seems like he could be a very good reserve DB who can contribute big on special teams.

Gilmore

McKelvin

Graham

Robey

Cockrell

Those are the top 5 more then likely

I think Graham plays all over the place in this defense. I'm not sure how many CB's they will keep but Cockrell isn't going anywhere. Ron Brooks is going to really show some things in TC to make the team

Finally! Some love for my boy Brooks. Holding out hope he stays injury free. If so, SLEEPER ALERT! Also, I don't think Thad is happy just to have a job and will willingly accept Back-up. He's shown a lot of courage and can really whip the ball. Jusssayin'..

Finally! Some love for my boy Brooks. Holding out hope he stays injury free. If so, SLEEPER ALERT! Also, I don't think Thad is happy just to have a job and will willingly accept Back-up. He's shown a lot of courage and can really whip the ball. Jusssayin'..

He also had the worst QB rating in the NFL when pressured.

Not good.

If it's left up to Thad at QB, we're in deep, deep trouble.