Mayock's take on EJ Manuel

I like Mayock (especially in comparison to Kiper) but let's remember that he had Geno Smith #1 ahead of EJ

That clearly proves Mayock knows absolutely nothing about the game. He probably couldnt even tell you the difference between a basketball, a hockey puck, a baseball, and a football.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Mayock (especially in comparison to Kiper) but let's remember that he had Geno Smith #1 ahead of EJ

And for good reason, Geno Smith was the QB in that draft that was most ready to play right away. He always followed that up by saying he thought EJ had more upside. I don't get the Mayock hate, he's been right about our drafts for years. Sure he misses on players, but so do all the NFL teams so in that regard Mayock is as much an inside line to player evaluation we as TV viewers are going to get. For the record he was raving about our draft this year, consistently named us when asked who had the best draft so far as he did last year. Only pick he wasnt completly onboard with but still saw as a solid pick was the Preston Brown pick.

EJ Manuel had three injuries to his knees in his rookie season.

THREE!!

Hello?!?!

The guy is an injury prone china doll.

How do knee injuries (it was actually 2, one of which was re-aggravated late) make a guy injury prone?

We're not talking about Kevin Kolb here.

Please Google Phil Simms. Then tell me if you would take his record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Simms

Simms won his first five starts of his rookie year. He led the team to a 6–4 record as a starter, throwing for 1,743 yards and 13 touchdown passes and was named to the NFL All Rookie Team. He was runner-up in 1979 for Rookie of the Year, losing out to future teammate, Ottis Anderson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Simms

Simms won his first five starts of his rookie year. He led the team to a 6–4 record as a starter, throwing for 1,743 yards and 13 touchdown passes and was named to the NFL All Rookie Team. He was runner-up in 1979 for Rookie of the Year, losing out to future teammate, Ottis Anderson.

You conveniently left out the part about the knee injury, the separated shoulder, the compound fracture of thumb on throwing hand and being benched in favor of Scott Brunner.

This is why I supported and still support the pick of Manuel. "If I was going to make a mistake, it was going to do it with a big athletic kid with arm talent".

The reason I subscribe to this way of thinking is taking the reverse angle. Instead of hoping a kid like Wilson, Barkely, Ponder, Manziel, Glennon, Tebow, Sanchez, and many others can overcome major physical inadequacies - you should evaluate kids with the most physical ability and if the mental analysis is close to matching - draft him.

Edited by Triple Threat

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Phil_Simms

Simms won his first five starts of his rookie year. He led the team to a 6–4 record as a starter, throwing for 1,743 yards and 13 touchdown passes and was named to the NFL All Rookie Team.He was runner-up in 1979 for Rookie of the Year, losing out to future teammate, Ottis Anderson.

Gotta love statistics. Figures lie and liars figure. If he was 5-0 in his first 5 starts, then that means he was 1-4 over the next 5 games. Are we talking about the same guy that was able to complete only 4 of his 14 seasons in the NFL?

Gotta love statistics. Figures lie and liars figure. If he was 5-0 in his first 5 starts, then that means he was 1-4 over the next 5 games. Are we talking about the same guy that was able to complete only 4 of his 14 seasons in the NFL?

Yes that guy, the injury prone bust, that managed to get two Super Bowl rings and be named Super Bowl MVP.

Yes that guy, the injury prone bust, that managed to get two Super Bowl rings and be named Super Bowl MVP.

Superbowl rings are an irrelevant statistic. Dan Marino is 100X the quarterback that Simms was. When all is said and done, it takes a TEAM to win it all. Simms wasn't all that. Historic version of Joe Flacco. SNORE!

Adding to that, let's just look at his "wonderful" Superbowl season. 21 TD passes and 22 interceptions. Add 9 fumbles, of which 6 were lost. I'm sure Joe Morris and his 1,500 rushing yards had little to do with their success, nor Lawrence Taylor and his 20.5 sacks. The Giants gave Phil Simms a Superbowl ring and not the other way around. You can actually see a lot by simply looking, or simply put your head in the ground like an ostrich. I choose the former.

Superbowl rings are an irrelevant statistic. Dan Marino is 100X the quarterback that Simms was. When all is said and done, it takes a TEAM to win it all. Simms wasn't all that. Historic version of Joe Flacco. SNORE!

Adding to that, let's just look at his "wonderful" Superbowl season. 21 TD passes and 22 interceptions. Add 9 fumbles, of which 6 were lost. I'm sure Joe Morris and his 1,500 rushing yards had little to do with their success, nor Lawrence Taylor and his 20.5 sacks. The Giants gave Phil Simms a Superbowl ring and not the other way around. You can actually see a lot by simply looking, or simply put your head in the ground like an ostrich. I choose the former.

Aside from a couple Pro Bowl seasons, Simms' career was kind of pedestrian. We all agree on that.

But his performance in SBXXI was one for the ages. To say the Giants gave him a SB ring is to totally disregard his contribution in that game. It was perhaps the greatest QB performance in a SB in history. And that's saying something when you think of some of the great QBs that had great games in the SB.

GO BILLS!!!

My original response was to Pearl and his position (along with many others) that Manuel is injury prone. Simms was considered injury prone, therefore he is a good example. I'm not extolling Simms virtues, however the fact remains he has two Rings.

There are a lot of great QBs without Super Bowl rings. There are a lot of ok QBs with rings. Super Bowl Rings are relivent because that is why they play the games. If you could trade the Bills entire 1990 team and staff for the Giants, which resulted in a Super Bowl win, would you do it? Or would you rather four Super Bowl loses with a HOF QB?

You conveniently left out the part about the knee injury, the separated shoulder, the compound fracture of thumb on throwing hand and being benched in favor of Scott Brunner.

In Simms' rookie year?

Phil Simms was runner up for Rookie of The Year. Where was EJ Manuel in the ROTY rankings last year?

In Simms' rookie year?

Phil Simms was runner up for Rookie of The Year. Where was EJ Manuel in the ROTY rankings last year?

No, second, third and fourth. Your contention is that Manuel is injury prone, which by definition would mean more injuries in the future. Phil Simms had three major season ending injuries in four years. All three of those injuries were worse than the two, not three (first and third were the same injury) that Manuel suffered. I lived in NYC at that time, Simms was considered an injury prone bust.

In Simms' rookie year?

And then Simms had three season ending injuries and regressed to the point that he was benched in favor of Scott Brunner.

Superbowl rings are an irrelevant statistic.

That's an interesting take, considering that's what every single player who has ever played or will play the game is playing for. Isn't winning Super Bowls the whole point?

Ask Jim Kelly or Dan Marino and I guarantee they regret not winning one.

I'm actually counting the Atlanta game as two comeback wins (one in regulation and one in OT) given back by the dropsy twins.

As I've stated many times, rookie QB performance hasn't evolved at the same pace as fan expectations. Especially for those QBs everyone knew needed a redshirt year.

GO BILLS!!!

How can you give EJ credit for a comeback in OT?

The ball that Chandler fumbled wasn't even in Atlanta territory. The play started on our own 23 yard line and Chandler fumbled on our 43 yard line. There was still a ways to go if you want to consider that a combeback or game winning drive.

Edited by Bangarang