(Offseason)QB coach: EJ Manuel could be bound for Pro Bowl season

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll believe the success when I see it. I love EJ but we'll see. All these stories mean nothing. Results on the field are what matter. When we see those, we can start celebrating EJ.

Not celebrating. Just interested in his motivation and development efforts over the off-season. Edited by YoloinOhio

My son has taken years of pitching lessons from a well regarded and excellent instructor, and while the legs are certainly important, Campy is absolutely right about the throwing motion -- especially with regard to what causes injuries. Throwing across your body rather than striving for maintaining a vertical up-down plane on your throws is bad for both your shoulder and your elbow.

Pitching isn't throwing a football, unless your son takes a 7 step drop and maneuvers around the mound avoiding umpires and base runners who want to hug him.

I take exception with Campy's claim that the arm motion is most important in executing a throw. Where does the act begin? Great arm mechanics cannot overcome poor footwork.

No offense, but if I refuse to step foot in any of your houses.

i would like him to be unable to go to the pro bowl due to having to play another game. i don't really read into these articles too much even though i always look at what a player is focusing on. as far as i can tell pretty much every nfl qb works on his throwing form in the offseason. sometimes you'll notice a change in the way a guy plays like flacco when he won that super bowl. sometimes you don't, like in the cases of every qb who was a starter and no long is.

A couple of points here. First, there's not a guy out there that's a QB coach that is going to tell the media that the person they've been coaching isn't improving or even worse, has regressed. Just not happening. Regardless of the vote of confidence, we know two things from the off season. First, the offensive line has improved significantly from last season. EJ won't have the excuse that he doesn't have the time to throw, nor be put in the situation last year where he's taking 20 hits and 8 sacks in a game. Second, and perhaps equally important, he has all the toys to throw to. Last year we say significant injuries to receivers. Watkins should be a huge upgrade over Stevie and barring more injuries, he's got a lot of weapons. A healthy CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson should also take some of the pressure off. Bound for the pro bowl? That's probably a bit of hyperbole right now. Have to get by teams lead by Manning, Brady, Luck, and Dalton first.

Pitching isn't throwing a football, unless your son takes a 7 step drop and maneuvers around the mound avoiding umpires and base runners who want to hug him.

I take exception with Campy's claim that the arm motion is most important in executing a throw. Where does the act begin? Great arm mechanics cannot overcome poor footwork.

Assuming we're speaking about somebody with a modicum of athletic ability, you're right, great arm mechanics can't overcome poor footwork but great arm mechanics doesn't have to. It improves footwork.

No offense, but if I refuse to step foot in any of your houses.

:lol: Well played!

Assuming we're speaking about somebody with a modicum of athletic ability, you're right, great arm mechanics can't overcome poor footwork but great arm mechanics doesn't have to. It improves footwork.

:lol: Well played!

I can accept that. I don't fully understand it. I don't really know enough to dispute that claim, but that rarely stops me from continuing an argument. In this case, however, I'll stop. But if you tell anyone that I conceded, I will deny everything.

I can accept that. I don't fully understand it. I don't really know enough to dispute that claim, but that rarely stops me from continuing an argument. In this case, however, I'll stop. But if you tell anyone that I conceded, I will deny everything.

Apology accepted. :w00t:

Edited by Campy

Rapier-like wit aside, you're actually not too far off in your not terribly analogous analogy. A structure can be built on bare ground with no foundation, but it is the roof trusses that hold the walls up and keeps the structure intact.

I sure hope the roof wasn't keeping this structure intact.

Of course any football stadium can be built without a roof at all.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I sure hope the roof wasn't keeping this structure intact.

Of course any football stadium can be built without a roof at all.

The Metrodome was supported by air, not roof trusses as I mentioned. And I think you just reiterated my point for me. Thanks! :thumbsup:

The Metrodome was supported by air, not roof trusses as I mentioned. And I think you just reiterated my point for me. Thanks! :thumbsup:

You said structures can be built without foundations as part of your analogy, I was simply pointing out that huge structures are often created without a roof as well, and certainly don't require "roof trusses". I hardly see how your point is reinforced, or has legs to stand on...but you're welcome! :thumbsup:

Edited by Turbosrrgood

You said structures can be built without foundations as part of your analogy, I was simply pointing out that huge structures are often created without a roof as well, and certainly don't require a roof. I hardly see how your point is reinforced, or has legs to stand on...but I'm glad you're happy.

It's Friday afternoon and quittin' time - of course I'm happy. Have an awesome weekend Turbo! Go Bills!

But let's hope he beats the odds.

That's what this is: odds. Betting. It's a safer bet to say EJ will fail, not just because so many recent Bills QBs have failed, but, because so many QBs fail in the NFL in general. Taking the FAIL side of the bet is betting with the odds. That's all it is. This confuses some into thinking they are being more "realistic" by doing so. Reality has nothing to do with betting, as betting is predictive, and reality is(or should be) empirical.

The only "reality" is the outcome of the bet. And of course, devolving the analysis of EJ's play this season into Manichean terms(he can ONLY fail or succeed, nothing else), is the province of the unmitigated moron. Why? Because EJ is quite capable of presenting us with a glass that is exactly 50% full of water this season. :rolleyes::lol: We all know what happens then. :wallbash:

Much depends on where we "set the bar", statistically, and whether we stick with that bar, or start moving it when whichever side of the "bet" we chose approaches "losing". The worst thing: The only way EJ can ever truly beat the "negative bar movers"? Season MVP, SB win, SB MVP.

Other than that, anyone can find fault with EJ's game. And even if that becomes "reality" somebody will start criticizing the selection process for those awards! :lol: (I literally saw this happen with a Ryan Miller hater...the year he won the Vezina)

The bottom line: If we have people who replace their subjective/wishful thinking, for empirical results cast against a consistent standard that was set prior to the season...we will have dopey, 20 page threads...and that's a "lock". (Still a bet though)

That's not to say you can't throw off your back foot when moving through neutral, only that it is very difficult to do and feels unnatural.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

I had the hilarious experience of watching Trent Dilfer play for the Bucs for a few games, live.

Throwing off his back foot seemed totally natural for him, since he did it every game, every play. It didn't seem that difficult for him.

So I don't know what to tell you. :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

lol, Pro Bowl.

Let's see if he even out-plays Manziel and Bridgewater, two QBs we passed up on.

That's the first hurdle.

If say the first hurdle is how he plays period; it has less than nothing to do with Manziel and Bridgewater.

Remember when Bill Walsh told us Trent Edwards was good...this is next to useless information

This ain't Trent Edwards. This is our QB of the future, and he's going to be developed into a good one.

Edited by BmarvB