Manny Lawson moving to DE

It amazes me that JoeB who follows the team close didn't know that before. I'm positive I heard some high ranking Bills coach or Whaley or someone say that months ago. Maybe right around when Schwartz was hired.

I added to my OP that I just saw on Twitter - Tim Graham said Whaley mentioned at the owner's meeting but got overlooked because it was the same day Ralph died.

It amazes me that JoeB who follows the team close didn't know that before. I'm positive I heard some high ranking Bills coach or Whaley or someone say that months ago. Maybe right around when Schwartz was hired.

Has been a few times but I think on draft night it makes it more clear he won't be splitting time. I'd heard it but half assumed he'd get some reps with both units.

Lawson might be the first victim in the almost yearly defensive scheme change. People said Schobel was too small to hold up at DE and he wasn't much more than Lawson is. Besides, Lawson hasn't really played DE in a 4-3 his entire career, and when he was in a 40 front it was as a LB.

Lawson might be the first victim in the almost yearly defensive scheme change. People said Schobel was too small to hold up at DE and he wasn't much more than Lawson is. Besides, Lawson hasn't really played DE in a 4-3 his entire career, and when he was in a 40 front it was as a LB.

Last time he played DE was with Mario and mccargo at NCState, right?

Last time he played DE was with Mario and mccargo at NCState, right?

As far as I can see. He's a decent cover LB and lining him up at DE because of the scheme makes me wonder if he's really in their plans with Schwartz re-designing the D.

As far as I can see. He's a decent cover LB and lining him up at DE because of the scheme makes me wonder if he's really in their plans with Schwartz re-designing the D.

how much of you wonders that he won't just be a DE in the sense that we know "DE?"

Or, better put - who really knows if he is going to play DE? We saw Dareus drop to coverage last year and with the right LB unit you don't need to rush your end. You can do many, many stunts.

Pettine mentioned it in an interview right before they picked up Spikes: http://www.wgr550.com/pages/18588029.php?contentType=4&contentId=14876121

And to be fair, he said "hybrid role"

In the 4-3 under, which is pretty much what the Bills played last year a base, and what we likely will do again, Lawson player primarily on the line. 4-3 under is basically a 5-2 front, so if they want to use him that way, I don't mind.

Alternately...I know some people might not want to hear this, but if the Bills were to adopt the Wide 9, that's a situation that lets smaller, speedier DE's to thrive. Lawson is a lot like Hughes, only he's a better edge setter against the run. He played DE in college, so I'm not worried.