Cleveland Browns' Draft Picks

I agree. OK to trade down to 9 and take him there. But waiting until 22 tells me you are OK with the possibiity of not getting him.

which is one thing with a corner, but with a QB... well... that feels like quinn or wheedon in my book. i didnt love him, but wait, now i want to tie myself to him....

i just dont see there being an "identity" to the system they used which from an organization thats been toxic isnt a great sign (could be nothing but....)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm a Browns fan i'd be pretty frikken excited at this time for the upcoming season.

Mike Pettine knows who he wants for his defense, and got a big aggressive corner with that first pick.

Then probably let his OC, Kyle Shanahan make the choice for Johnny Football. A QB who should be able to scramble, and make plays like RG3 did with the Skins. They have the luxury of letting Johnny sit and learn a bit behind Brian Hoyer

With all pro's Joe Thomas at LT, Alex Mack at center, and the rest of the line consists of two 3rd rounders, and a second rounder. Then they have Josh Gordon at WR, Jordan Cameron at TE, and picked up RB Ben Tate in free agency.

No matter the opinions on the price the Bills paid to get Watkins (and I believe it is actually cheap), how is it that these "experts" can regard him as a once-in-a-generation receiver, then slam the Bills for taking him while giving the Browns a pass for NOT taking him. Personally I'm happy with the Watkins pick and I think the Browns passing on him was a huge mistake, especially considering the player they took at 9.

No matter the opinions on the price the Bills paid to get Watkins (and I believe it is actually cheap), how is it that these "experts" can regard him as a once-in-a-generation receiver, then slam the Bills for taking him while giving the Browns a pass for NOT taking him. Personally I'm happy with the Watkins pick and I think the Browns passing on him was a huge mistake, especially considering the player they took at 9 8.

They gave up a 5th for Gilbert.

The Browns played the draft really well, though there was probably some schizofrenia in their draft room. In hindsight, I question a few of their moves:

1) The trade back to #9 was great, but then the trade up to #8 to get Gilbert was a waste of a pick.

2) I also think the trade from 26 to 22 was a little odd. If the Browns had a do-over, I think they would stay ay #9 and take Manziel, and stay at #26 and take a pretty solid corner (as it is, it seems like Gilbert has a lot of question marks).

What do you all think of Cleveland's picks? It sounds like they wanted Manziel prior to the draft, and they were able to get him at the back end of the 1st round.

They got the #1 CB on their board and more than likely the #1 QB. Very good start for them.

Whether either pick will pan out? Nobody knows.

All I know is that I'm already sick of hearing about Manziel. This media circus is akin to the Tebow garbage we were subjected to. All it does is compel me to root against the guy. It speaks volumes that even Jerry Jones wouldn't bite and grab Manziel at 16.

Whether the Browns have had a good draft really comes down to the age old question that we've been asking on this board for months... Will Johnny Manziel succeed in the NFL? If he does then this will be looked back on as the draft that turned Cleveland around. If he doesn't then this draft will be filed alongside the drafts that brought them Tim Couch, Brady Quinn and Brandon Wheedon. No question that the loss of Josh Gordon for a year hurts them. If Manziel ends up a bust and Watkins ends up a star in the league then this Browns front office and coach won't last too long.

http://www.brobible.com/sports/article/johnny-manziel-scouting-report-new-england-patriots/

Too bad we missed out on this train wreck!

Report on Manziel's work ethic:

"Doesn’t study the game, said to know about 60% of the offense in ’12, never watches film; one source said only time he watched film during ’12 was before ALUN."

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

The Browns played the draft really well, though there was probably some schizofrenia in their draft room. In hindsight, I question a few of their moves:

1) The trade back to #9 was great, but then the trade up to #8 to get Gilbert was a waste of a pick.

2) I also think the trade from 26 to 22 was a little odd. If the Browns had a do-over, I think they would stay ay #9 and take Manziel, and stay at #26 and take a pretty solid corner (as it is, it seems like Gilbert has a lot of question marks).

Disagree. Minny was entertaining other offers and Gilbert was exactly who Pettine wanted for his defense. No way Gilbert would have been there at 26. Indeed, Detroit would have taken him over Ebron, imo. There was a much better chance all along that Manziel was gonna be there later in the 1st round. A 5th was a small price to guarantee getting the player you targeted all along.

GO BILLS!!!

The Browns had a terrible draft. I have not talked to one Browns fan who is happy. There were some that were initially excited about the potential of Manziel (not me), but now we have no WRs, Farmer neglected to draft any, and Hoyer is the starter per Pettine which means it is going to be another long, 4 win season filled with QB drama over wanting Manzeil to start. They could have had Watkins but instead they wanted another pick - for next year?. This franchise is cursed. It is always wait until next year, ALWAYS. I just wish they would address the needs now instead of holding up a "be patient, under construction" sign.