Aaron Donald - DT

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will not be available there. He was insanely productive in college, weighs 290 lbs, and runs a 4.65 40 yard dash. And he benched second most among d-linemen at the combine. And was dominant at the Senior Bowl and sessions leading up to it. He probably will be taken by Tampa, or someone who trades up, at 7.

Good call on Tampa. He's a guy Lovie would take in a heartbeat and be like a latter-day Tommie Harris.

He will not be available there. He was insanely productive in college, weighs 290 lbs, and runs a 4.65 40 yard dash. And he benched second most among d-linemen at the combine. And was dominant at the Senior Bowl and sessions leading up to it. He probably will be taken by Tampa, or someone who trades up, at 7.

Which is why I'm cool at 9 they can't grab all the good players before us - even what was the previous doomsday scenario- Clowney, Robinson, Mack, Watkins, Mathews, Evans, Lewan, Ebron all picked ahead of us leaves us Donald, Barr, Gilbert if Donald goes early then Evans, Ebron or Lewan shake free and if there is a run on QBs then who knows who could shake lose.

ESPN was talking about him today and Bill Polian said in the NFL he's going to needs to play the three technique in Tampa 2 defense. Bill also said Tampa and Dallas played it and one would probably draft him.

If he's there at 9 I see that as a great trade back opportunity if someone wants to trade up for him. I think that is a likely possibility. He is a nice DT prospect but we would be drafting a replacement/depth at that point at that position and if Evans is gone, I trade back and get another pick.

Zack Martin is the safest pick in this draft!

you are getting loopy. well we all are i guess

Well, if we can get him and Zack Martin in the same draft we can call them the T-Rex Twins.

ouch

That was the knock on Kyle Williams as well...

http://grantland.com...imated-monster/

well that ,and he is five foot eleven . no wonder we need to trade/cut or badmouth him. Damn overacheivers !

This is the guy I want if we stay put at #9. My first choice is to trade up for Watkins, but if we stay put and Sammy and Evans are gone, you take BPA. If Donald is still there at #9, he is easily the BPA. I'd much rather have him than Eric Ebron or any tackle not named Greg Robinson.

You have me interested. i agree with all you wrote ! but the Donald bit. And thats only because i dont know enough of him really.

But at the outset , isn't he doubling down on what we already have . Honest question

Good call on Tampa. He's a guy Lovie would take in a heartbeat and be like a latter-day Tommie Harris.

Lovie might shock us an draft Offense , even after a trade of draft position, potentially

You have me interested. i agree with all you wrote ! but the Donald bit. And thats only because i dont know enough of him really.

But at the outset , isn't he doubling down on what we already have . Honest question

He appears to be a KW clone, but KW is getting up there in years and has had surgery on both feet. Besides this season, the draft is for the future. He may also have the potential to try some time at LE as he's bigger than the other ends not named Williams at the moment.

If Donald can play DE in shwrtzies D i am all for it. I just read up some more on him. Quite an athlete and football player

He appears to be a KW clone, but KW is getting up there in years and has had surgery on both feet. Besides this season, the draft is for the future. He may also have the potential to try some time at LE as he's bigger than the other ends not named Williams at the moment.

I would agree .

Bills need to draft another DT for the future , but i think next year would be prudent as compared to drafting one early rounds this year .

we might need to invest in a potential RB to replace my man Fred . for the future of course .

I want Hyde to be a Bill but i know better. we still have holes that should be filled in the second and third rounds.

NT fat kid late round this year. Whats Jasper doing these days ?

Edited by 3rdand12

Well that was elabroate....yes, he's a DT...but his physical size and athletic ability make him an ideal DE....if he's Drafted in a 3-4 Defense, that's exactly where they'll put him...if he can learn that position, it's a shorter jump to a 4-3 DE, he can do that too...but thank you for weighing in "all knowing" Defensive mind...appreciate you taking the time out of your busy god-like schedule to contribute...

Seriously dude? You read away more than I wrote.

Aaron Donald is too short to be a 3-4 DE, not fast enough (or small enough) to be a 4-3 end and is absolutely ideal as a 4-3 DT playing a 3 technique. I defy you to find 1 article discussing his possibilities as a DE. If you can, I'll be happy to eat crow. But I'd take him as a linebacker or kicker on the Bills. I love the guy.

Problem with Donald at DE is short arms. Makes a world of a difference, that being said I'd be OK with him at 9, Barr would make me wanna put my head through the tv.

I think Barr is better than you think.

He reminds me a lot of Kyle Williams. I can't believe how fast he is.

If he turns out to be as good as KW, I wouldn't have a problem taking him at 9.

As good as KW is, he is one of the common threads on some awful defenses. I think Donald will be better.

He would be a fantastic pick. He is likely the BPA at #9, and, we need another DT because Williams is not getting any younger. Imagine having Mario, Williams/Donald, Dearus on the line. He is a beast.

I doubt they draft him. They didn't have him visit.

Interesting. We will find out how sneaky Whaley is. Does Whaley pull the ultimate surprise? Could the Bills have visited with Donald in Pittsburgh (Whaley is from Pittsburgh).

He definitely sounds lIke a beast of defensive linemen. Those are sone impressive numbers he put up at the combine. If Schwartz thinks he can make him a regular in this defense with their current talent, he is an intriguing option.

I'm just having a hard time justifying him over Matthews if he's available. The offense is just too far behind right now to pass over a blue chip OT prospect like Matthews. RT is by far and away the most glaring hole.

Then again, if Matthews & Evans are gone maybe you take Donald then make damn sure you get Juwan James or Cyrus K in the 2nd.

For those speculating: Aaron Donald's NFL position would be nearly identical to that played by Geno Atkins of Cincinnati--he'll play inside as either a 3T or a 4i.

He doesn't really have the arm length or hip torque to play as a DE, which is fine. He'll likely be extremely effective as an interior defender.

I reiterate that he may be BPA at 9, and I'd be more than fine with the pick...although I have a hunch that Buffalo doesn't pick at 9.

For those speculating: Aaron Donald's NFL position would be nearly identical to that played by Geno Atkins of Cincinnati--he'll play inside as either a 3T or a 4i.

He doesn't really have the arm length or hip torque to play as a DE, which is fine. He'll likely be extremely effective as an interior defender.

I reiterate that he may be BPA at 9, and I'd be more than fine with the pick...although I have a hunch that Buffalo doesn't pick at 9.

Bill Polian stated if he didn't play the three technique he would be nearly as effective. But if he did he would be a perennial pro bowler.

Bill Polian stated if he didn't play the three technique he would be nearly as effective. But if he did he would be a perennial pro bowler.

Interesting...what was the context of the discussion? By that I mean: what alternative position was being considered?

Thanks for the info by the way!