Mike Mayock 5-1 conference call

I like Mayock but he's just another talking head as far as I'm concerned. None of these guys have any clue how the draft is going to go let alone who the first pick will be. If Houston takes a QB then all hell will break loose. If JAX does, then same scenario. I'm curious as o their "grades" on players, but I find it odd that all of the talking heads have similar grades on their top 50, almost like they feed off each other.. LOL

Tim-

I like Mayock but he's just another talking head as far as I'm concerned. None of these guys have any clue how the draft is going to go let alone who the first pick will be. If Houston takes a QB then all hell will break loose. If JAX does, then same scenario. I'm curious as o their "grades" on players, but I find it odd that all of the talking heads have similar grades on their top 50, almost like they feed off each other.. LOL

Tim-

i disagree, i like everything about mike mayock.

i think mike mayock usually has a much better grasp of the draft than the other talking heads like mcshay, kiper, brooks, etc (i do like jeremiah as well - though not quite as much). just one example: i remember vividly just before the bills picked at 16, on the nfl network draft coverage, mike mayock goes "the dark horse pick for buffalo here is ej manuel." ten seconds later the buffalo bills shocked everyone but mayock by draft "ej manuel, quarterback, florida state."

Tim-

I agree, path to the draft has been on for about ten years why don't they have a segment called your mock draft 2004, 2005, etc. The reason is it would reveal how very wrong they are most of the time.

I agree, path to the draft has been on for about ten years why don't they have a segment called your mock draft 2004, 2005, etc. The reason is it would reveal how very wrong they are most of the time.

The chances of anyone getting the first half of the first round correct probably aren't much better than picking winners for all NCAA tournament games. Does that mean no one should try? Mayock's one of, if not the best in the business. If the standard of excellence is 100% then no one need apply.

The chances of anyone getting the first half of the first round correct probably aren't much better than picking winners for all NCAA tournament games. Does that mean no one should try? Mayock's one of, if not the best in the business. If the standard of excellence is 100% then no one need apply.

Agreed. The people doing the mocks are held to an unattainable standard. Mayock provides more insight into the players than most others out there. He's damn good at what he does.

this is far from an exact science. these guys all collect data, probably from a lot of the same places, process the data, and give their opinions about it. some come of a little more convincing, some a little more arrogant, but it's all in the name of entertainment. and the fact that a lot of people have opinions about their opinions means they are good at their jobs.

Agreed. The people doing the mocks are held to an unattainable standard. Mayock provides more insight into the players than most others out there. He's damn good at what he does.

Many people don't like Kiper but he's like a walking encyclopedia. I'm amazed when it gets down to the 7th round and he rattles off a couple minute analysis on those players.

He was ridiculed but he was right on the much talked about opinion of Trent Dilfer over Trev Alberts, even though Dilfer's career was pretty mediocre. Alberts was a major bust.

I found a website called http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com which has a statistical analysis of correct picks in past Mock Drafts of the 1st round by Kiper, OurLads, McShay, etc. As others have mentioned, quantifying the results is pretty much nonsense as getting the correct picks by position is an impossible task (the top guys got about 25% right). I'd rather be able to review past analysis like: "This linebacker will excel in the 3-4" and see how that player turned out 5 years later. Then one could develop an opinion like "Mayock was right on about half the time" and have confidence the guy knows what he's talking about.

The analysis/forecast for QBs would be very interesting to look back on as that's an extremely hard position to judge.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

Many people don't like Kiper but he's like a walking encyclopedia. I'm amazed when it gets down to the 7th round and he rattles off a couple minute analysis on those players.

He was ridiculed but he was right on the much talked about opinion of Trent Dilfer over Trev Alberts, even though Dilfer's career was pretty mediocre. Alberts was a major bust.

I found a website called http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com which has a statistical analysis of correct picks in past Mock Drafts of the 1st round by Kiper, OurLads, McShay, etc. As others have mentioned, quantifying the results is pretty much nonsense as getting the correct picks by position is an impossible task (the top guys got about 25% right). I'd rather be able to review past analysis like: "This linebacker will excel in the 3-4" and see how that player turned out 5 years later. Then one could develop an opinion like "Mayock was right on about half the time" and have confidence the guy knows what he's talking about.

The analysis/forecast for QBs would be very interesting to look back on as that's an extremely hard position to judge.

Kiper and all of those guys may know the names of a lot of players, even in the 7th, but they have interns and others on their earsets giving them everything to know.

When it comes to the draft, if you really want to know who knows the players and not just the top 20 guys - Gil Brandt. Sure, he's old. Sure, he might not know todays football. But, he knows football players.

The very best in the business are wrong more than 50%. It's like a batting average in baseball. If you hit .333 you're a great hitter, but it still means you missed 2 out of every 3 times.

Mayock, to me, is consistently the best one. Sure he makes a lot of mistakes. The very best do, too, all the time.

To me, Ozzie Newsome is the best in the NFL, with John Schneider of the Seahawks looking very good lately (although I would actually call it the Pete Carroll/Schneider combo. Mike Mayock, Gil Brandt and Greg Cosell are the best of the tv/online guys. Rich Gossellin and John McClain are the best of the newspaper guys.

Edited by Kelly the Dog