The Obvious Reason for Creating a Smokescreen Tradeup Scenario

patfitz

No, but you have to remember who is leaking this info. If the Bills are trying to get to 5 for example the Raiders are the ones passing this information along. They are hoping to drive up the value of the pick.

I don't think anyone is actually leaking info. I understand the theory of a smokescreen and what it would hope to accomplish. But no GM in their right mind is going to believe any of the supposed leaks they hear in the media. They (meaning all the GMs) know that none of their colleagues are going to believe any of it either, which makes the entire smokescreen process pointless.

In my opinion (and obviously that's all it is), there is no smokescreen. There is simply no point to it.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That whole "preventing the Jets from getting Tavon Austin" thing is total lunacy. It implies that we knew the Jets draft board and which first round players would be better than others.

As it turns out they chose the D rookie of the year Sheldon Richardson who is already the best interior lineman in the game. I WISH. they took Austin.

It implies nothing other than what I said before. These reports/tweets/etc are leaked out to cause other teams to overvalue/undervalue players to see if you can bluff the other team into picking someone other than what you want. Like I said, the reports of the Jets being high on Austin could have just as likely been a smokescreen.

Edited by The Wiz

I don't think anyone is actually leaking info. I understand the theory of a smokescreen and what it would hope to accomplish. But no GM in their right mind is going to believe any of the supposed leaks they hear in the media. They (meaning all the GMs) know that none of their colleagues are going to believe any of it either, which makes the entire smokescreen process pointless.

In my opinion (and obviously that's all it is), there is no smokescreen. There is simply no point to it.

I think that teams use whatever they can to their advantage. If I were the Raiders in my scenario I would be telling anyone that will listen that the Bills are calling me about that pick. I would do what I could to leverage whatever I have. Using the media is not that effective but the conversations that they have with their colleagues are a different story.

But there is a point. A whole industry - the Advertising business is about influencing behavior.. If you hear something long enough & often enough, you start to believe at least some of it. If this weren't so, there would be no Ad business.

They have basically said they could trade up, they could trade down, or they could stay put. In a nutshell, they basically haven't said anything at all. And you know what? I believe them. If there is a player available that they want to trade up for and they think the asking price to do so is right, they'll do it. If they are sitting at 9 and like someone there without having any offers that are too good to pass up, they'll draft there. If they are sitting on the clock and someone sees their player has fallen and they must trade up for him (Donald? Barr? Evans? Ebron?), well maybe they'll offer a great package and we trade down.

I believe any scenario is equally as likely to happen at this point and I'm ok with all of them.

Unlike others here I don't think 38 QBs are going in the first 8 picks; realistically we're probably looking at Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Evans, Bortles, Matthews, Lewan and Robinson being taken before the Bills are up. If the organization has targeted one of those guys they need to be drafting before pick 9, but I don't think that's in the cards (for reasons I'll state further down).

If not, they're sort of left with the "second tier" as far as the first round goes: Barr, Gilbert, Shazier, Donald, Clinton-Dix, Ebron, Beckham, Pryor, Mosley, Lee, Roby, Martin and Cooks. Five of those guys were at OBD on visits, so the Bills have done their homework and a) have their choice of this group or b) have the option to move back through the early 20s while still getting one of them.

I'm liking a lot of the prospects in the next group of probably 25 picks or so, which I won't list here to save space. Many have been in Buffalo for visits, too... And that leads me to believe they aren't interested in trading up. Giving up a pick in the 25-40 range, when so many of those guys came in for visits, seems like really poor planning and a waste of efforts.

But there is a point. A whole industry - the Advertising business is about influencing behavior.. If you hear something long enough & often enough, you start to believe at least some of it. If this weren't so, there would be no Ad business.

I'm sure all kinds of people believe it. Particularly hard core football fans. Just no GMs, at least in my opinion. If they are disseminating false information, why would they believe others? :)

These rumors are all BS created by websites and reporters to make news. There is no way any organization is leaking info.

When somebody knows something that other people would want to know, it is hard not to divulge it to somebody... I think the Bills are going to trade up, based on all the info out there...

It could all be simply that the Bills scouts and Whaley/Marrone/Brandon all like a player. Let's say Sammy Watkins or even Mike Evans. They say to themselves, he's not going to be there at 9. We already have a guy we love in Woods, a speedster in Goodwin, and TWO 7-8 million a year WR next year that it's hard to believe we will keep and pay both. If we can trade Stevie and our #1, would that be enough to move up 3-4 spots in case Watkins is still there at 3-6? Or what else would we need.

Or is that enough to trade up two spots to get Evans? We save 6-7 mil this year and almost 20 mil altogether and we can afford M Williams next year. Sure, it's a long shot but what do we have to lose with a couple calls? Lets just call other teams and see what they are looking for.

Three separate teams tell reporters that the Bills are looking to move up and suddenly it's a foregone conclusion when they really have no intention of moving up unless they get a ridiculous trade.

I believe the bills are simply gauging the market. In a deep draft class, many teams may want to trade down and stockpile picks. That means it's a buyer's market if you want to move up. The Bills are broadcasting their intent so every team 1-8 will want their business. We're getting those eight to compete against each other.

This also helps the Bills gauge the market value of the 9th pick in case they want to slide back. By knowing what the opening demands are for 1-8, you know what you can ask from a team below us looking to move up.

Not bad !

No, but you have to remember who is leaking this info. If the Bills are trying to get to 5 for example the Raiders are the ones passing this information along. They are hoping to drive up the value of the pick.

This ^ is when it gets interesting . Thats peeling it back a layer man.

But there are more layers i would suppose.

I would not be surprised if some familiar GMs give one another an "assist ".

NFL is a Buddy Club of course. Nods and winks are exchanged . And these guys have known each other is some form for years and years.

By the way i love this time of year no matter how much it hurts my brain !

Go Bills

When somebody knows something that other people would want to know, it is hard not to divulge it to somebody... I think the Bills are going to trade up, based on all the info out there...

Probably only Whaley and Marrone know what the truth is. I think those two can keep a secret.

Sure lots of people provide stats,info and wish lists. But only the GM, HC and the Owner make the final call.

I am saying that there are a LOT more people that know their intentions. The Bills are a very collaborative organizaton when it comes to decision making. The Bills probably have 30 people that know the plans within the building (scouts, coaches, doctors, etc...). Then take that and extend it to people that they have discussed it with and who they have discussed it with and so on...

There are people on this board that are aware of their plans. It doesn't mean that it will happen because crazy things happen during the draft but there are a lot of people that know what they want to do.

They want to trade up, and the guy they covet is Greg Robinson. He's been compared to hall of famer Orlando Pace. The Bills running game outside the tackles was amongst the worst in the league last year. Give up a second and they can free Spiller to break some homeruns.

It absolutely is not when there are significant consequences on the line. It happens in business every single day. This isn't a 5rd grade "Jimmy likes Missy" gossip situation we are talking about.