The fan experience

vegas55

The NFL, and the Bills, have had a lot to say about enhancing the experience of the fans who buy tickets and attend the games. Russ Brandon has had a lot to say about this subject. And I applaud the Bills and Brandon for spearheading the stadium improvements that will enhance the fan experience. But I would have to point out that it's pretty easy to take those steps (stadium improvements) when somebody else (taxpayers/fans) are the ones primarily paying for it. So hey Russ, if you are really committed to this, how about some enhancements that come out of the Bills pockets. For example, I don't believe it's written in stone anywhere that your concession stands have to sell the lowest quality product for the highest possible prices. That's also part of the fan experience; no one appreciates, after going through the expense and hassle of attending a game, feeling like they get ripped off paying those kind of prices for such a low quality product. I understand if you have to ban fans from bringing in a bottle of water for security purposes, but then to charge an arm and a leg for a bottle of water on a hot day? If you want to charge outrageous prices for beer to discourage terrible behavior - fine - I am good with that. But if you are truly concerned with the fan experience, increase the quality and/or decrease the prices of the other concessions. And please don't blame the vendor, you are receiving such a favorable deal from them only because of the high price/ low quality ratio. This is, after all, an organization that can afford to forego millions in revenue by choosing to name the stadium after it's deceased owner, rather than farming it out to a corporate sponsor. So I am guessing, if you are REALLY concerned with the fan experience, you could could accept a little less revenue to deliver a quality food/drink product to your fans. It has, after all, been quite a while since this organization has delivered a high quality product on the field.

So I am guessing, if you are REALLY concerned with the fan experience, you could could accept a little less revenue to deliver a quality food/drink product to your fans. It has, after all, been quite a while since this organization has delivered a high quality product on the field.

it's called synergy. the low quality of the food and drink pairs perfectly with the low quality football being executed on the field.

once the bills win the super bowl, they'll start selling 2009 chateau margaux's by the balthazar.

They want to charge outrageous prices for beer to make more profit.

The reason that the beer prices are high at a stadium is because often multiple parties need their cut. In a situation like the Ralph, you have the Bills, Sports Service, the county and the state. I am not totally familiar with their deal but it was similar where I worked. By the time that you buy the product and cover your overhead if you were to charge $3-$4 for a beer none of those groups could be profitable.

How much is beer at the Ralph?

It is crazy everywhere, I have been to about a dozen stadiums and it is the same everywhere, expensive as hell. At Lambeau it is $7.50 for a draft beer. Pretty common to what I have seen, but I have paid $9.50 in stadiums.

The NFL, and the Bills, have had a lot to say about enhancing the experience of the fans who buy tickets and attend the games. Russ Brandon has had a lot to say about this subject. And I applaud the Bills and Brandon for spearheading the stadium improvements that will enhance the fan experience. But I would have to point out that it's pretty easy to take those steps (stadium improvements) when somebody else (taxpayers/fans) are the ones primarily paying for it. So hey Russ, if you are really committed to this, how about some enhancements that come out of the Bills pockets. For example, I don't believe it's written in stone anywhere that your concession stands have to sell the lowest quality product for the highest possible prices. That's also part of the fan experience; no one appreciates, after going through the expense and hassle of attending a game, feeling like they get ripped off paying those kind of prices for such a low quality product. I understand if you have to ban fans from bringing in a bottle of water for security purposes, but then to charge an arm and a leg for a bottle of water on a hot day? If you want to charge outrageous prices for beer to discourage terrible behavior - fine - I am good with that. But if you are truly concerned with the fan experience, increase the quality and/or decrease the prices of the other concessions. And please don't blame the vendor, you are receiving such a favorable deal from them only because of the high price/ low quality ratio. This is, after all, an organization that can afford to forego millions in revenue by choosing to name the stadium after it's deceased owner, rather than farming it out to a corporate sponsor. So I am guessing, if you are REALLY concerned with the fan experience, you could could accept a little less revenue to deliver a quality food/drink product to your fans. It has, after all, been quite a while since this organization has delivered a high quality product on the field.

Curious as to what you mean by quality food. I rarely get food in the stadium, with the exception of the occasional soft pretzel, so I wouldn't know how it is. Are you saying the burgers and dogs should be better, or that they should change the menu?

Please. Just stop. The quality of concessions at The Ralph is almost exactly the same as anywhere else I've ever been. Gas station type roller dogs. Microwaved hot pretzels. Bad chicken fingers. There's only a few stadiums (mostly the new ones with new amenities) that have personalized concession options.

And the prices are on par with the rest of the league.

How much is beer at the Ralph?

It is crazy everywhere, I have been to about a dozen stadiums and it is the same everywhere, expensive as hell. At Lambeau it is $7.50 for a draft beer. Pretty common to what I have seen, but I have paid $9.50 in stadiums.

I believe it's $11 for a draft. They have the cheapest ticket prices and the highest beer prices in the league. I think that evens out pretty well.

24 oz cans of Labatts are $9.50 at Sabres games.

I think improving the concessions is a big part of this renovation. Stadium food doesn't have to suck. I remember going to see the Carolina Hurricanes and had carved BBQ brisket sandwiches there. $9 a piece but they were amazing.

Concessions are higher in other stadiums. So are other prices like parking, ticket prices, etc. you get more for less at the Ralph. That doesn't mean it's cheap, just less than cities like Philly, Washington, Dallas, Tampa (my home), Miami, and so on.

I know it's expensive and that is why the ticket is so popular on Direct TV. I have three tv's in the media room with surround sound so my boys and I can enjoy the games and only go to one game a year.

The food seems to be the same everywhere except in the club level, but you pay for it.

Everyone complains about the overall costs. As long as fans keep paying for it, nothing will change.

The real answer is if you want costs or service to go upmwitH better quality, then don't buy it. That's the answer no one likes to hear, but is the truth. Hurt the owners in the wallet or the vendors who manage concessions, and they will adjust. Don't as a collective group and nothing changes.

But I would have to point out that it's pretty easy to take those steps (stadium improvements) when somebody else (taxpayers/fans) are the ones primarily paying for it. So hey Russ, if you are really committed to this, how about some enhancements that come out of the Bills pockets.

The Bills are funding 25% of the cost of the renovations, or around $30 million. That's not nothing.

Mrags..... Bad chicken fingers ? That's terrible any stadium should be able to pull those off.

Minor league baseball parks can even get those right.

Gotta say the 11.00 beer sounds fine, VA beach amphitheater beer goes for like 14 bucks, ripoff city.