Bills D On Paper in A Good Place

T master

Going around the internet sites trying to get as much Bills input as i can i found that there are quite a few people that think the Bills D is in pretty good shape . Which also goes along with what Whaley has said about the Team not having a lot of glaring needs .

I don't know what you all think of the rankings that Bleacherreport does but this is where found that mostly our LB ing corp is pretty stout with the FA's we have picked up this year . Which again all things on paper are not proof of being good on the field !

I'll start at MLB they have ranked B. Spikes at #5 , Kiko ranked #6 so we have 2 MLB in the top 10

This next one i have had a bit of a time & i think you will understand when i get to that point .

OLB - Ranked #8 Mario W ? (i didn't see him as a OLB) although they said in a 3/4 .

M. Lawson ranked #14 & at #18 Hughes again as a OLB which goes with the Mario ?

Last a FA pick up Rivers was ranked #23 in a 4/3

Go DT M Dareus ranked #2 .

Now i know this means absolutely nothing because this years scheme is different from last year & there will be a lot of learning both by the players & staff to utilize the talent on our roster but i think especially the LB's corp has made a significant jump from our past but only time will tell ...

Spikes makes much bigger impact than the loss of Byrd imo. He should single handed improve the run D at game a changing level. With him the safeties will not be as needed in run support as much and they will be able to play the pass first.

He was the missing link on the defense...

I saw the bleacher report rankings as well, add in that Nigel was ranked, i believe, top 20 Ilb...and Manny Lawson would "be best as a strong side OLB in a 4-3 set"...they also went so far as to give Lawson a perfect score in coverage (like Alanso).

McKelvin is 7th ranked CB, Robey and Graham are ranked ahead of Gilmore...I hope he makes a comeback. I wonder where they rank Kyle Williams, it will be as a 34 DE...i assume top 5

Edited by frogger

For the first time in a long time the Bills may have starting caliber players on the sidelines because of depth.

May? No, they will for sure...figure Lawson or Rivers won't start, and both of them are starting material.

i am just hoping the players buy into the system like they did last year. if these guys believe in the defense and their coach, they seem to have the talent to do some nice things.

This is the one concern, the coaching change...we obviously have a ton of talent, I hope Schwartz can utilize it like Pettine did.

......were going to the playoffs

I was just saying this earlier to someone else...this is the most confident and optimistic I have been in a long time.

They have A LOT to play for...not only Ralph and Jimbo, but if they like Whaley/Marrone, they might be playing for their jobs.

I do not remember the last time we had a defense this good, not to mention last year's #2 rushing attack. As long as EJ Manuel can stay healthy, and even be a middle of the pack QB, this team has a chance to do some damage and be special. (Super Bowl? Probably not. But, I could see 10-6 and the playoffs.)

As Bart Scott would say, "I can't wait!" :flirt:

Edited by Bob Malooga

If Schwartz is going to a 4-3, I'd be interested in who will be the (edit: RDE). Jarius Wynn is a career reserve, Lawson is undersized and doesn't fit the new defense, so do they draft someone and immediately start them? And if reports are correct that Graham will be the FS, well, he's learning a new position. That, and I'm not sure Keith Rivers is a guy you want on the field as much presuming he'll be playing the pass with Alonso when they go to a nickel alignment.

The defense is by no means a slam dunk despite years of high draft picks and significant spending on UFA's. They'd better be top 10 this season or it could be a long one.

Edited by BillsVet

The run defense is still a big question mark until proven different. Spikes will help but I don't think starting two penetrating DTs is the best way to go.

I actually think the defense would be better by starting Branch with Dareus and rotating Kyle in. This would get Branch on the field more at his more natural position and keep all 3 fresher during the game

Im really struggling to understand where people are gonna be lining up in the new scheme. Pettine just kind of through people all over the place and besides stopping the run, it worked fairly well. Spikes is great on 1st and 2nd but is a liability in coverage. Wasn't Lawson always a pretty solid 4-3 OLB because of his coverage skills? I don't really get why everyone wants to trade him. Bradham never really improved YOY but he's certainly a solid depth piece. Besides Kiko I think there are basically a bunch of unknowns.

DE is also so unbelievably weak depth wise, again I just have no idea what we are going to do with regards to personnel. To me with a 3-4 we have lots of depth and you can really see it but with the 4-3 I just don't unfortunately and its a reason I think we may take a LB or DE earlier than anyone would hope or want.

Im really struggling to understand where people are gonna be lining up in the new scheme. Pettine just kind of through people all over the place and besides stopping the run, it worked fairly well. Spikes is great on 1st and 2nd but is a liability in coverage. Wasn't Lawson always a pretty solid 4-3 OLB because of his coverage skills? I don't really get why everyone wants to trade him. Bradham never really improved YOY but he's certainly a solid depth piece. Besides Kiko I think there are basically a bunch of unknowns.

DE is also so unbelievably weak depth wise, again I just have no idea what we are going to do with regards to personnel. To me with a 3-4 we have lots of depth and you can really see it but with the 4-3 I just don't unfortunately and its a reason I think we may take a LB or DE earlier than anyone would hope or want.

Check out this thread... I think the Bills are set up well for the 4-3 base which I think will be more of a hybrid with a ton of subpackages like most teams run...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/167183-bills-defense-in-2014-personnel-fit-to-schwartz-scheme/

I think the could go DE as high as round 2 but could wait on a LB unless someone falls who they can't pass up based on value.

Check out this thread... I think the Bills are set up well for the 4-3 base which I think will be more of a hybrid with a ton of subpackages like most teams run...

http://forums.twobil...chwartz-scheme/

I think the could go DE as high as round 2 but could wait on a LB unless someone falls who they can't pass up based on value.

Thanks Yolo, I still don't think you can really run that in a base however. From where I see it we could use 2 solid depth players at DE and 1-2 at LB. Kind of surprised they didn't address it in FA at all just because it would've been relatively cheap.

This draft is really polarizing to me because there are literally dozens of different ways the top 8 picks could go. I just don't love any of the value they would most likely have on board at 9 with regards to defense but unfortunately even though we love to pretend that the defense is good to go, we still need pieces there.

Thanks Yolo, I still don't think you can really run that in a base however. From where I see it we could use 2 solid depth players at DE and 1-2 at LB. Kind of surprised they didn't address it in FA at all just because it would've been relatively cheap.

This draft is really polarizing to me because there are literally dozens of different ways the top 8 picks could go. I just don't love any of the value they would most likely have on board at 9 with regards to defense but unfortunately even though we love to pretend that the defense is good to go, we still need pieces there.

I think LB is one of the easier positions to translate to the NFL so I think they take one relatively late. I do agree depth is needed and Spikes is only on a 1 yr deal. I feel like Whaley has indicated they need another DE so would not be surprised to see one as early as rd 2 - the issue is that in this draft there is a lack of quantity/depth at that position. As far as DT, I would be very surprised if they took one as we seem to have good depth there and both starters are signed through 2015. Edited by YoloinOhio

I still think safety is going to be a major concern for this team and will believe this until proven otherwise. Our liabilities against the middle run were too large last year. While Byrd was not a major asset at FS on the run he was an asset.

If Schwartz is going to a 4-3, I'd be interested in who will be the (edit: RDE). Jarius Wynn is a career reserve, Lawson is undersized and doesn't fit the new defense, so do they draft someone and immediately start them? And if reports are correct that Graham will be the FS, well, he's learning a new position. That, and I'm not sure Keith Rivers is a guy you want on the field as much presuming he'll be playing the pass with Alonso when they go to a nickel alignment.

The defense is by no means a slam dunk despite years of high draft picks and significant spending on UFA's. They'd better be top 10 this season or it could be a long one.

Hughes.... Lawson is a OLB

I really need training camp to get here to sort thru this. Plus, I've been going thru some **** right now so haven't watched the 2013 season over again like I normally do to give detailed input. Sorry guys.

Anyway, just looking back on memory is Lawson is going to DE I really hope it is a 2pt situation and they're not going to have him put his hand on the ground. I do not see him having the ability to make plays like that. I see his ability, if I were a scout I could put it best.

Lawson is a player who needs to be allowed to move on two planes on the field, a premier skillsetted player optimized for 360 degree play. With his speed and ability he can be counted on to move across the field to cover and break on the ball when given the responsibility. However, his size and strength hinder him from being a rushing player that can go up field and also limit him with ability to consistently break thru blocks. His footwork is not excellent and it can cause him to be out of position to recover when he makes the few mistakes he does which prohibits him from recovering to the ball. Lawsons key strength is his recognition and nearly cerebral ability to be where the ball is going to be to counter the carrier/receiver.

Hughes will put up a fight at DE but I cannot see him being a 3 down DE playing more then 75% of the defensive snaps. Not with the versatility and skill we have at DL. What Hughes will offer this team is going to be an edge rusher and a TE chip guy.