Bills D On Paper in A Good Place

T master

I still think safety is going to be a major concern for this team and will believe this until proven otherwise. Our liabilities against the middle run were too large last year. While Byrd was not a major asset at FS on the run he was an asset.

I respectfully disagree. If you noticed last year, we got eaten alive by tight ends catching the ball. The strong safety is not the only one who has this responsibility- it varies by what defensive scheme is being used for each play. Byrd made a strong showing by bunching his interceptions in games where the opponent was trying to come from behind or the QB was inept or under high pressure. Freelanceing gets you in highlight reels and gets you interceptions on deflections and from "what is he doing there". Too often in the case of Byrd "what is he doing here" came at the expense of "why didn't the other DB get the help he was expecting". They don't show highlight films with a ghost representing the missing FS. These days with 3 and 4 wide receiver sets, there is less stereotyped roles for the traditional 2CB, SS, FS backfield defense, which was predicated on the pass receivers being "a wide out, a split end, a tight end and once in a while a halfback (who would be covered by a linebacker.)" It is not 1950 anymore. Grahm becomes our other starting DB. Edited by maryland-bills-fan

If Schwartz is going to a 4-3, I'd be interested in who will be the (edit: RDE). Jarius Wynn is a career reserve, Lawson is undersized and doesn't fit the new defense, so do they draft someone and immediately start them? And if reports are correct that Graham will be the FS, well, he's learning a new position. That, and I'm not sure Keith Rivers is a guy you want on the field as much presuming he'll be playing the pass with Alonso when they go to a nickel alignment.

The defense is by no means a slam dunk despite years of high draft picks and significant spending on UFA's. They'd better be top 10 this season or it could be a long one.

You are so right!!! I am surprised that the draft pundits have ignored the lack of depth at defensive end for the Bills. Most of the other early positions of weakness or lack of depth have been addressed by bringing in some veteran free agents, (OG, WR, LB, DB, TE) except for RIGHT offensive tackle and defensive end. I'm really wondering why the Bills have not brought in anybody except Scott Crichton for a look see.

Are they planning on

just picking up a veteran FA later,

is Crichton going to get drafted with a reach,(so we know he will be there at our pick),

is Lawson going to put on 50pounds?

are the Bills playing it so cool and planning on surprising everybody with using a high pick and don't want to tip their hand? or

do they have some hidden gem lined up that they will draft in the 7th round and will start as a rookie?

This is strange- they have a hole and apparently are not addressing it.

For the first time in a long time the Bills may have starting caliber players on the sidelines because of depth.

Once we can say what you said in your post, about our offensive players as WELL as our defensive players, then we will finally have a consistent football team.

That doesn't rule out by any means that this year we will be good. Anything can happen with a great draft and players who were with Marrone last year, maturing into the system. We all knkw EJ is the key to production on offense, which is why LT/RT or TE is the way to go on the 1st two picks.

You are so right!!! I am surprised that the draft pundits have ignored the lack of depth at defensive end for the Bills. Most of the other early positions of weakness or lack of depth have been addressed by bringing in some veteran free agents, (OG, WR, LB, DB, TE) except for RIGHT offensive tackle and defensive end. I'm really wondering why the Bills have not brought in anybody except Scott Crichton for a look see.

Are they planning on

just picking up a veteran FA later,

is Crichton going to get drafted with a reach,(so we know he will be there at our pick),

is Lawson going to put on 50pounds?

are the Bills playing it so cool and planning on surprising everybody with using a high pick and don't want to tip their hand? or

do they have some hidden gem lined up that they will draft in the 7th round and will start as a rookie?

This is strange- they have a hole and apparently are not addressing it.

They extended Alan Branch at the end of the season

If the Bills draft Crichton in the 2nd rd. he would not be considered a reach as he is projected at 49.

Hughes isn't going to see the field enough on 1st and 2nd downs to be a DE in a 4-3. He's a quasi-situational pass rusher who generally struggles against the run.

He will be on the field as a pass rusher. Branch is the run stopper.

Check out this thread... I think the Bills are set up well for the 4-3 base which I think will be more of a hybrid with a ton of subpackages like most teams run...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/167183-bills-defense-in-2014-personnel-fit-to-schwartz-scheme/

I think the could go DE as high as round 2 but could wait on a LB unless someone falls who they can't pass up based on value.

I don't disagree that they could use another DE, but (based on what I've read) is one of the weakest positions in this draft. If any of the draft ratings I've seen are reasonably accurate, then there almost certainly will be better players available at other positions in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I would not want them to pass on a better player just to get someone that played DE in college.

I don't disagree that they could use another DE, but (based on what I've read) is one of the weakest positions in this draft. If any of the draft ratings I've seen are reasonably accurate, then there almost certainly will be better players available at other positions in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I would not want them to pass on a better player just to get someone that played DE in college.

This draft only has a couple elite, 1st rd pass rushers. This is why a guy like Kony Ealy who is rather raw will get pushed up the draft board anbd teams will consider trading up for Clowney, In a passing league, teams are desperate for guys like this. But there are good 4-3 DEs in the draft. Scouting will indicate who would be a good fit for our system. Remember a guy like Robert Mathis was drafted in the 5th rd out of Alabama A&M. The Bills are fortunate that they will be taking a DE for depth and development and don't have a role in their starting lineup. Everything Whaley has indicated is that the results of their FA signing and extending their own players means they have their draft board set up to not do what you fear - but rather take the BPA on their board instead of reaching for a need.

Thanks Yolo, I still don't think you can really run that in a base however. From where I see it we could use 2 solid depth players at DE and 1-2 at LB. Kind of surprised they didn't address it in FA at all just because it would've been relatively cheap.

I really have to ask why a 4-3 under base wouldn't work. From what I understand, Whaley saying that Lawson would be a DE/OLB hyrbrid would be explained by the fact that the 4-3 under is pretty close to a 5-2. Let's run down the list really quick.

Big, space eating 3-4 DE prototype as the Strong -Side DE: Alan Branch? Check

A 1 or 2i technique NT who can charge a single gap if open, or command a double team: Marcel Dareus? Check

A Weakside DT who is slightly undersized, but is quick and charges a 1 gap at the 3 technique: Kyle Williams? Check

A pass rusher who would be a 3-4 OLB in a straight 3-4: Not only do we have Mario Williams, we have depth in Hughes. Check and Check.

A Strongside LB who plays directly on the line, lining up over the TE and is primarily in charge with setting the edge, but who still has some ability in coverage: Pretty much exactly the description of what they had Manny Lawson doing last year. Check.

Run stuffing MLB who hits the running gaps: Spikes? Check.

An incredibly versatile WLB who has great horizontal movement and typically does his best work unblocked: #TheLegendofKiko.

That makes for a very complete looking front 7. While I would love to see depth, I don't see any position where they would HAVE to take someone in the first two rounds.

Thanks Yolo, I still don't think you can really run that in a base however. From where I see it we could use 2 solid depth players at DE and 1-2 at LB. Kind of surprised they didn't address it in FA at all just because it would've been relatively cheap.

This draft is really polarizing to me because there are literally dozens of different ways the top 8 picks could go. I just don't love any of the value they would most likely have on board at 9 with regards to defense but unfortunately even though we love to pretend that the defense is good to go, we still need pieces there.

I thought they did address it in FA relatively cheap - Wynn, Rivers

Going around the internet sites trying to get as much Bills input as i can i found that there are quite a few people that think the Bills D is in pretty good shape . Which also goes along with what Whaley has said about the Team not having a lot of glaring needs .

I don't know what you all think of the rankings that Bleacherreport does but this is where found that mostly our LB ing corp is pretty stout with the FA's we have picked up this year . Which again all things on paper are not proof of being good on the field !

I'll start at MLB they have ranked B. Spikes at #5 , Kiko ranked #6 so we have 2 MLB in the top 10

This next one i have had a bit of a time & i think you will understand when i get to that point .

OLB - Ranked #8 Mario W ? (i didn't see him as a OLB) although they said in a 3/4 .

M. Lawson ranked #14 & at #18 Hughes again as a OLB which goes with the Mario ?

Last a FA pick up Rivers was ranked #23 in a 4/3

Go DT M Dareus ranked #2 .

Now i know this means absolutely nothing because this years scheme is different from last year & there will be a lot of learning both by the players & staff to utilize the talent on our roster but i think especially the LB's corp has made a significant jump from our past but only time will tell ...

I like the FA we have acquired. OTOH I'm gun-shy from all the talk 2 years back after the Mario and Anderson signings we had the best DL in the NFL on paper. I was not one of the talkers but I was excited, only to be reminded of the harsh reality that football is played on Sunday on turf or grass, not Monday on paper.

Im really struggling to understand where people are gonna be lining up in the new scheme. Pettine just kind of through people all over the place and besides stopping the run, it worked fairly well. Spikes is great on 1st and 2nd but is a liability in coverage. Wasn't Lawson always a pretty solid 4-3 OLB because of his coverage skills? I don't really get why everyone wants to trade him. Bradham never really improved YOY but he's certainly a solid depth piece. Besides Kiko I think there are basically a bunch of unknowns.

DE is also so unbelievably weak depth wise, again I just have no idea what we are going to do with regards to personnel. To me with a 3-4 we have lots of depth and you can really see it but with the 4-3 I just don't unfortunately and its a reason I think we may take a LB or DE earlier than anyone would hope or want.

I see Lawdon going to DE and possibly starting with Hughes coming in on passing downs

Kiko will probably end up in the middle on obvious passing downs