RIP Pat Tillman

If you haven't had a chance to read it, John Krakauer's Where Men Win Glory offers some interesting insights into Pat Tillman and family. Such a zest for life and learning. While some may find the criticism of the military off-putting, it's a good read, none the less. An honorable man in every sense of the word. The world was better for him having been in it.

RIP Pat Tillman.

I know I'm in the vast minority, but the more I got to know about Pat Tillman the less I liked him. The story from the beginning was all about him being a patriot and fighting for his country.

But, he was an adrenaline junkie who did all kinds of death defying stunts. This was the ultimate one - he wanted to test himself in battle.

From everything I've read and seen since, I don't think he or his family had or have any great love of country.

I know I'm in the vast minority, but the more I got to know about Pat Tillman the less I liked him. The story from the beginning was all about him being a patriot and fighting for his country.

But, he was an adrenaline junkie who did all kinds of death defying stunts. This was the ultimate one - he wanted to test himself in battle.

From everything I've read and seen since, I don't think he or his family had or have any great love of country.

It's not a popular opinion to have...but I agree.

He's an interesting guy, if nothing else. I also read the book that was mentioned, and a few other bits about him and while he had many admirable traits he was also incredibly selfish with some of his risks. He was a man and that comes with good and bad - both halves were amplified by the fact that he took things to the extreme so often.

Very good Outside the Lines show about him on right now. The first half was Interviews with the guy who was with him and one of the guys who fired on him. I don't cry at TV but that was pretty moving stuff hearing those guys talk about it.

Nice not to be the only one..

my reaction is the opposite: the more i learned about him, the more i liked him.

Then I'm sure you and I have vastly different viewpoints.

Even if true, it doesn't prompt any ill-will on my part. He did what he did, and I don't feel particularly compelled to judge him on motivation.

Wow, that flew by. The guy was just a different breed. I would ventured the amount of people who would walk away from a million dollar job playing a sport is less than 5%. RIP to a true American.

RIP. Doesn't seem like 10 years.

RIP to an American hero

Second

Fair point. Even if his thrill seeking trumped his flag bearing, he still died in combat. He did test himself and he died, but his spirit lives forever and he won.

Then I'm sure you and I have vastly different viewpoints.

no doubt. have you read "where men win glory"? you might find it interesting since it very much speaks to his motivation -- which I think is more than him just being a thrill seeker. i think he was wrestling with notions of honor, patriotism, sacrifice, self-worth, etc. if it was just about him getting an adrenaline high, he could have went bungee jumping or something.

regardless, the dude gave the ultimate sacrifice to his country -- and willingly participated in one war that he felt was illegal. that takes a certain kind of man.

EDIT: and that last line goes for anyone willing to go overseas to fight a war for the rest of us.

Edited by Dirtbag

He's an interesting guy, if nothing else. I also read the book that was mentioned, and a few other bits about him and while he had many admirable traits he was also incredibly selfish with some of his risks. He was a man and that comes with good and bad - both halves were amplified by the fact that he took things to the extreme so often.

I'm not going to judge him, because I didn't know him. He has become a symbol for something positive (...I think? I'm not exactly "pro-war"). So much of his story has been turned into propaganda, that it's impossible to get a feel for "the truth". I suppose people can project onto him whatever they want, and hopefully it can inspire positive actions.